Brass Brands

Thread: Brass Brands

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brass Brands

I figured it would be good to start a new thread instead of hi-jacking the "how many" thread with this topic. With a combination of advice from members I am trying to salvage my brand by re-machining the final detail pass with another 1/32" end mill. This time I am using 2 IPM feed speed, .008" DOC 4500 RPM 2 flute HSS Niagra and just picking out the internal radius areas that the 1/16" end mill left behind when it did it's roughing pass. So far 20 minutes into the job and it has not broke yet (it is running right now). It is going to take 2 hours to complete which is about 4 times longer than I bid the job for, but at least I am learning

Anyway here are a few pictures, one is of my new shower curtain setup, I made a bracket from CR round 1/2" and used the head bolts to mount it. The plastic is that softer/flexable (high dollar) shower curtain stuff from Wal Mart. The other photo is a close up of the brand being machined, my digital camera is really old (12 years) and it still caught the spindle, that is actually 4500 RPM in the image. I use a ER style collet setup.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brass Brands-curtain-jpg   Brass Brands-mill_brand-jpg  
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Downloads
    Uploads

BlueFin -

Do you mind if I ask how much you bid for the work? I had contemplated selling brands at a local festival, but figured that I'd spend at least an hour drawing and an hour cutting, and probably closer to two on each of those if anything got tough (like details too small to draw or broken mills). I figured that if I tried to get paid for four hours that I wouldn't sell any at all, so now I'm wondering. If you want to PM it to me, or don't want to tell at all, I understand.

I have done a few for free for friends, but don't know how much to charge if they get too popular. I don't think I'll bother for the price of these. Of course, those are just letters, and I could draw that much faster than a line drawing (especially if I choose the font). Their logo brands go for a little more, and they are more representative of what I have done so far.

I like the shower curtain. Sometimes I just hold the plexiglas screen up to catch the spray, but that curtain would help keep everything local.

Regards,

- Just Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

JustGary,

I looked at this branding company website to get some idea on what one could charge. I do 2.5" x 2.5" brands at $100.00 for the first one and $50.00 for each identical copy (same G code). I don't mind telling you the price because I know there won't be much competition once someone does one like these. By the time you do the art work, prep the material (fly cut both sides and machine the perimeter) then machine the actual design you have about 10-12 hours invested for a $100.00 These commercial guys must have super high end ArtCam or something and running 15K+ RPM primary spindles. I have never used a 1/32" end mill before now, and I don't think I ever want to again. If you can't get the detail you need with a 1/16" end mill at 4,500 RPM then it is not worth the time and tool breakage. I am using Alibre Design in 2D mode and manually tracing a sized .JPG to produce a .DXF for Sheetcam. You will also notice that the commercial guys use a tapered tool to mill the design, the letters are wider at the bottom. Then they sand blast it to remove tool marks and then re-face the design to make it shiny. I don't have all that capability. But I enjoy the end result and the extra money buys me more end mills to break Plus it's not like it's really work, the Tormach is roughing out a blank right now in the garage while I am here at CNCZone.

BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Downloads
    Uploads

BlueFin -

I may just quit making them and start buying them from you to give them to my friends!

Seriously, I think you definitely have a fair price, except I would charge a little more for the second item than $50. The more you do, the faster you'll get at drawing them, so you'll make more money later if you keep selling them. I have enough of my own work to do that I don't want to commit myself to a sales deal just yet.

Also note that the web page says that the price *starts* at $105. Don't feel bad about jacking the price on some intricate design that takes six hours to draw and ten to cut.

You might consider making a deal with a local trophy shop. They can bead blast your irons for you and also offer them for sale. If they get a few bucks from every sale, both of you are happy.

Good Luck!

- Just Gary

P.S. With even the limited time I have played a high-speed spindle, I'd say that it is a must-have if you plan to do detail work like this. Several of the guys have very good router setups that don't cost very much but provide decent horsepower and speed control. You won't break those small endmills at 20k RPM, and you'll get good finish and feed rates, too.