Denver Area Tormach Owner

Thread: Denver Area Tormach Owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Denver Area Tormach Owner

I have been trying to come to a decision on a bench to CNC Mill. Any Tormach owners in or around the Denver, CO area?

For Tormach owners; what was the deciding factor that made you purchase a Tormach?

Thanks,
    Mark

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

My wife gave her blessing to buying it! :rainfro:

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not in the Denver area, but if you get to the Chicago suburbs give me a shout.

The biggest single factor for me was that I checked out the mill at Tormach's offices and was greatly impressed by the management (Greg Jackson). It was clear that they were in it for the long haul, had done considerable work in designing and sourcing the mill, and had a lot of integrity.

It's been two years since I bought and I'd still buy another.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Seriously, when I bought my Tormach it was the only thing in the price range designed from the ground up as a CNC mill. Everything else was basically a manual mill with motors added (pivoting columns, etc...) It was not a hard decision to make. I graduated from a heavily-modified Sherline CNC mill. And, as Mike said, I'd buy again without hesitation.

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denver Area Tormach Owner-tormach-sherline-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought my PCNCII sight unseen. There were two other contenders at the time but I selected the Tormach based on the longer "Z" travel, spindle drive, long list of accessories and primarily the white paper which discussed the design considerations and trade offs. It made a lot of sense.

I didn't talk much with Tormach before the purchase but any responses were very prompt.

It was after the machine arrived that there was no longer any doubt that I made the right choice. In the back of my mind I had expected (and dreaded receiving) a Hardor Freight type machine. The Tormach isn't a Deckle or Haas but it is very well made and well worth the money.

Tormach is a rarity these days as companies go. I have been continually amazed with the service after the sale and the level of passion they exhibit for their products and customers. With each day I am more and more pleased with my PCNCII and would not hesitate to purchase another.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denver Area Tormach Owner-cnc-007_resize-jpg   Denver Area Tormach Owner-cnc-013_resize-jpg   Denver Area Tormach Owner-p1000363_resize-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you guys' machines are way too clean! Mine has never looked so nice since the day I got it running.

Len

Downloads
    Uploads

This will make you feel better then, Len. Cracked and peeling paint, oil stains, chips I can't get to, etc. And that's soon after a major cleaning. The other photo was from before the day I got mine running. I had just finished assembling it and wanted to get a comparison photo while it was still "shiny and new". In fact, the only thing I knew how to do in Mach was jog the axes around so I could put my Sherline on the table...

Randy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denver Area Tormach Owner-used_tormach-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same thought. My machine is covered in tools, parts, rags, chips, you name it. And both ends of the chip pans are tool storage, too. Why not use the space? The 4th axis perches on the front left corner of the pan because I hate lifting it (and it could be heavy enough to affect the tram of the machine). Whenever I take a photo of my machine, I have to get the angle right so you guys don't laugh at the junk piled everywhere.

Saabaero, I really, really, like your threaded plate. You apparently have access to a whole lot more aluminum than I do. I did buy a router the other day, and I'm looking for a hunk of aluminum to make a HSS bracket like yours. By the way, if you don't need all those empty tool holders, please send them to me. I have mills waiting for them.

Randy, I bought some little hockey puck LEDs the other day. I'll be posting a photo as soon as I can get them mounted. I think they will work. Did you get the job?

Man, with just a little effort, we could hijack this thread!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, and Randy, we have talked before about peeling paint. I did notice the other day that the paint on my Kurt D688 vise is still in good shape, and it gets all of the coolant...

- Just Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=
    Saabaero, I really, really, like your threaded plate. You apparently have access to a whole lot more aluminum than I do. I did buy a router the other day, and I'm looking for a hunk of aluminum to make a HSS bracket like yours. By the way, if you don't need all those empty tool holders, please send them to me. I have mills waiting for them.
    - Just Gary[/QUOTE]

Just Gary,

The tool holders weren't empty for long as a matter of fact I could probably use a couple more now.

We use a lot of cast aluminum jig plate at work (so there are a lot of cut-offs) and I do a lot of odd welding jobs at home for work so one hand washes the other.

You didn't machine your HSS bracket yet ;-( [shame!]
    Summer is almost here so I know I'll be spending less time in the shop - so if your anything like me... Of course, then again, I didn't get to use my HSS spindle yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    The tool holders weren't empty for long as a matter of fact I could probably use a couple more now.
    Ahhhh, so your photo is from when your machine was new, too? Is your floor still clean?

As for the HSS plate, I have used my Proxxon as an HSS. I just bought the router two days ago, so I'm just now looking for a big hunk of metal. I hear that the guy we get enclosures from at work is planning on bringing me some drop pieces the next time he stops in. I gave him a shopping list, so I can't wait to see if I've been a good boy!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just Gary,

The photos were from when the machine was relatively new however it still looks almost exactly the same. I am pretty anal about that! At the end of the day I normally clean off the bulk of the chips and use the shower sprayer to hose everything down. It's easier to clean before the coolant starts to dry. Before I run the machine the next time, normally most of the coolant is dried up and I use the shop vac to suck up the rest of the chips.

I haven't had many leaks so my floor is relatively clean. The only place I get any coolant is in the front of the machine when some splashes over the plexiglass guard. I normally wipe it up quickly and redirect the stream.

I normally scrounge up any cut-offs I can at work because I use a lot of very small pieces and normally hate to cut a larger piece unless I have to. Hope Christmas comes early for you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Just Gary, yes, I'm using Boelube so the paint seems to peel as well with either coolant. You can see on the photo of my X-axis shield that the paint is swelling even where it is still attached to the metal. The Tormach/Magnum vise is powder-coated so I could probably dump acetone on it without effect.

And no, I'm still unencumbered by any sort of income. The guy who interviewed me said it would probably be a while before they make a decision--they're still collecting resumes!

Randy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    "My machine is covered in tools, parts, rags, chips, you name it."

"Whenever I take a photo of my machine, I have to get the angle right so you guys don't laugh at the junk piled everywhere."
    cool, so i am not the only one