Would This Machine Do This?

Thread: Would This Machine Do This?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Would This Machine Do This?

Greetings,
    I am thinking of purchasing a CNC for knife building. There was a picture of some students milling knifes in last months HAAS magazine.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ebyHAASCNC.jpg

Would the Tormach CNC milling machine be 'enough machine' to mill out knives in various tool steels and SS? I know that the feed rates would have to be reduced compared to these monster CNC mills. It would be nice to be able to make jigs and mill out batches of 5 to 10 knives per run.

I am also thinking of some incredible ideas for inlay handles, etc.

Regards,
    Dennis

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dpaish View Post
    Greetings,
    I am thinking of purchasing a CNC for knife building. There was a picture of some students milling knifes in last months HAAS magazine.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ebyHAASCNC.jpg

Would the Tormach CNC milling machine be 'enough machine' to mill out knives in various tool steels and SS? I know that the feed rates would have to be reduced compared to these monster CNC mills. It would be nice to be able to make jigs and mill out batches of 5 to 10 knives per run.

I am also thinking of some incredible ideas for inlay handles, etc.

Regards,
    Dennis
    Dennis,

I've seen knife making with the Tormach someplace here at cnczone. You might want to do some searches. I wish I had kept track of where I saw it.

I don't think the Tormach will have any problems with the materials you're considering. As far as feeds/speeds go...they're determined by the material you're cutting and the cutter you're using. The only speed advantage the big guys have over the Tormach is rapid traverse moves. Feeds n' speeds is feeds n' speeds. (Flame shields now fully engaged)

I don't mean to say that the Tormach is the same as the big ones. But if I had the bucks...I'd have a half dozen Tormachs ($50K-ish) running in parallel vs one big one ($100K-ish+) running in series. That would erase the rapids advantage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default knife making

Check out the tormach site for testimonials. Lots of knife makers.

Good luck
    Jim..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The PCNC was created with knife makers in mind. THey advertise in all of the knife rags.

Trenton

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheToolMan View Post
    Dennis,

I've seen knife making with the Tormach someplace here at cnczone. You might want to do some searches. I wish I had kept track of where I saw it.

I don't think the Tormach will have any problems with the materials you're considering. As far as feeds/speeds go...they're determined by the material you're cutting and the cutter you're using. The only speed advantage the big guys have over the Tormach is rapid traverse moves. Feeds n' speeds is feeds n' speeds. (Flame shields now fully engaged)

I don't mean to say that the Tormach is the same as the big ones. But if I had the bucks...I'd have a half dozen Tormachs ($50K-ish) running in parallel vs one big one ($100K-ish+) running in series. That would erase the rapids advantage.

Good one, I like that (Flame shields now fully engaged)

Free DXF - vectorink.com