Need Help! Sprutcam 11 and tilted rotary table

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprutcam 11 and tilted rotary table

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sprutcam 11 and tilted rotary table

Hi,

I'm trying to machine a part which requires that the table be tilted at 45 degree angle, but I can't figure out how to reference X and maybe Z axis correctly. The part has been programmed with X, Y referenced at center and Z on top of part with rotary table pointed 90 degree up vertically. So when it comes time to run the program on the 1100, I reference the center of the part with the rotary table vertically. Once that is done, I manually tilt the table 45 degree, but when I run the program x isn't where it should be. Even when I reference x with the table tilted 45 degree, it still is off when I run the program. The top of the part is about 58.5mm from the table which is also programmed into Sprutcam, but it's hard to know if it's correct as I don't know how to measure the distance between the top of the rotary table and center of rotating on the B axis.

Does Sprutcam also takes the angle of rotating on the B axis into consideration when calculating toolpaths? If it does, is there a way to measure the distance between the B axis and top of the table? I have also attached Sprutcam project file if you want to take a look at it.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to know how to do this as well,
    If you just bought sc11, Jacob at Sprutcam America is an excellent resource and can lead you in the right direction
    Please post your solution

QUOTE=Buontinh;2152486]Hi,

I'm trying to machine a part which requires that the table be tilted at 45 degree angle, but I can't figure out how to reference X and maybe Z axis correctly. The part has been programmed with X, Y referenced at center and Z on top of part with rotary table pointed 90 degree up vertically. So when it comes time to run the program on the 1100, I reference the center of the part with the rotary table vertically. Once that is done, I manually tilt the table 45 degree, but when I run the program x isn't where it should be. Even when I reference x with the table tilted 45 degree, it still is off when I run the program. The top of the part is about 58.5mm from the table which is also programmed into Sprutcam, but it's hard to know if it's correct as I don't know how to measure the distance between the top of the rotary table and center of rotating on the B axis.

Does Sprutcam also takes the angle of rotating on the B axis into consideration when calculating toolpaths? If it does, is there a way to measure the distance between the B axis and top of the table? I have also attached Sprutcam project file if you want to take a look at it.

Thank you for any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sprutcam 11 and tilted rotary table

I put my part origin at the intersection of the tilt axis and the centerline of the rotation of the table.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gt40man View Post
    I put my part origin at the intersection of the tilt axis and the centerline of the rotation of the table.
    If you set the origin with the table tilted, wouldn't it be very difficult to find the exact center of a part? It would also be difficult to get Z to be exact too.

CadRhino, I upgraded from 10 to 11 so I'm not sure if I'm eligible for support.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buontinh View Post
    If you set the origin with the table tilted, wouldn't it be very difficult to find the exact center of a part? It would also be difficult to get Z to be exact too.

You don't need to set the origin with the table tilted. Keep the table horizontal and pick up the center line. Then rotate 90 degrees and set Z from the centerline of table rotation. In your CAD when you set tool orientation it should account for any angle changes and prompt you to manually tilt the table. You also need to set your part origin in CAD as mentioned in my earlier post. Unless someone has a simpler way to do this I have never had a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Jacob would help you since you are current

Downloads
    Uploads

When I do a part with off angle setups I use a tooling ball to find the reference point. Add a hole in an earlier operation and remove it if necessary in a later op.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious if you came up with a strategy to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I would like to know how to do this as well,
    If you just bought sc11, Jacob at Sprutcam America is an excellent resource and can lead you in the right direction
    Please post your solution

QUOTE=Buontinh;2152486]Hi,

Thank you for any suggestions.
    [/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious if you came up with a strategy to do this?

No, not yet as I already made one before posting this. The fan slots for this part do not need to be exact to the model so I just referenced x manually until it cut close to the model. I posted the question because I may need to make another one similar to this in the future so wanted to learn how to do it correctly. I also emailed Jacob, but got an autoreply saying he's away.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought I attached the project file to the original msg, but I don't see it anywhere. Anyway, attached is the part I was trying to make in case you guys want to see what it looks like.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Many of us including me don't have Sprutcam. It would be easier for all If you attach a STEP file instead. I tried to open in Fusion 360. It was a no go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Many of us including me don't have Sprutcam.
    The OP wants help setting the 4th and 5th axis centers correctly IN SPRUTCAM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And your point is? Can't see what the issue is if I can't open the file. The help requested has to do with setting an origin.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is an example of setting the part origin on the tilt table so that the CAM software what ever it is will always know where your part is even at tilt.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sprutcam 11 and tilted rotary table-tilt-rotary-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize if my post came across as blunt. Not the intent. However I believe the OP's issue is twofold: 1) How to accurately determine the location of the B axis of rotation in both X and Z and 2) How to setup SprutCAM to use those values. Without SprutCAM you can't help with the 2nd part.

Last edited by IMT; 03-03-2018 at 02:28 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize as well. I was trying to give an example of what he could try. Hopefully this helps.

Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize as well. I was trying to give an example of what he could try. Hopefully this helps.
    Helped me and I don't have a tilting axis. After looking at the Illustration real quick, I can see how to indicate the center axis accurately. Guess I never thought about because I don't have one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wrong Forum!

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this forum is ok for these postings, Turbo.
    Though it references Sprutcam, it is really about setting up a tilting rotary table. This is something that has not been addressed well in any forum. Ideally this could turn the Tormach into a 4 1/2 axis machine.

Please keep the posts coming for all of us who have tilting rotary tables.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Wrong Forum!

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this forum is ok for these postings, Turbo.
    Though it references Sprutcam, it is really about setting up a tilting rotary table. This is something that has not been addressed well in any forum. Ideally this could turn the Tormach into a 4 1/2 axis machine.

Please keep the posts coming for all of us who have tilting rotary tables.
    I'm sorry if my post was obscure, it was early in the morning here and I was hardly awake. I'd posted something which was not intended for this forum and I edited the post to imply I'd got it wrong myself
    I by no means intended to imply that the OP had posted anything wrong!
    Step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast