Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe

Thread: Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe

I have come to you all with the hope that you can help with getting a probe that was given to me.

Looking in to what the 1100 needs to see as a point of contact from what I can tell is a open circuit while the probe works on a TTL square wave. Not knowing what a TTl square wave is right away puts me at a loss on what I need to do if any thing can be done at all.

So I'd like to ask the hive mind is there something as a group can this be made to work with my mill or should I have posted in to space with that Tesla ?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe-20180212_202721-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe

My Renishaw is just a NC switch basically, that switches the logic in the Tormach probe input, it draws about 5 ma. thru the probe contacts.
    I am relatively sure yours can be converted to work, from what I gather it outputs a TTL signal which should interface fine with hte Tormach, or can be conditioned to wok with it.

It will be well worth the effort involved!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Firstly, which Tormach mill do you have? Secondly, TTL is merely a standard for of digital logic that was defined multiple decades ago. Thirdly, you will need to know the wiring of the TS120 connector so that you can correctly connect it to your Tormach mill. The Tormach connector has both +5VDC and +12VDC on it so you need to be very careful about the connections or else you may damage your probe.

The output voltage level of your TTL compatible probe will work fine with the Tormach input, with the only potential exception being the polarity, something that is correctable in the Tormach setup screen. An incorrect polarity means that the Tormach mill may think that the probe is touching the work piece when it isn't, and visa versa.

Downloads
    Uploads

You might find this information of interest:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe-heid1-jpg   Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe-heid2-jpg   Heidenhain TS120 Touch Probe-heid3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good news that it can be saved and used with the mill.

From what I can put together in my minds eye is that I can power the probe from pin 1 (5v ) and pin 4 for ground/common. Its getting my head around the trigger I don't under stand do I just send a signal down pin 5 from the probe. There is active low and active high to pick from as well I'm there is a massive part of this I'm missing or over looking.

Zetopan My mills is a 1100 series 3 and there should be a image of the plug wiring diagram in my first post I hope.

Downloads
    Uploads

I also have a PCNC1100 but I am not knowledgeable about the other mills that Tormach sells, hence my question about your Tormach mill model. Also, all of my probes are from Renishaw and I don't know anything about the Heidenhain probes. However, kstrauss (above) has kindly provided the details about your probe so we can proceed towards a solution for you.

I note that the kstrauss supplied documentation and your supplied documentation differ in the number of pins contained within the connector. The first order of business is to sort out which type of connector your probe actually has. You can select from one of the two provided output polarities to connect to the Tormach DIN input on pin 5. If you select the wrong polarity the Tormach will incorrectly detect that the probe is triggered when it isn't and visa versa. Determining which polarity to use is very easy since there is a triggered graphic LED displayed on the appropriate Tormach probing screen. I do not use PathPilot while you may be using that, so you will have to determine the appropriate polarity. Simply temporarily make the appropriate electrical connections and check the LED status. If you get the correct LED status then try a probing routine to find an edge to ensure that everything is OK. Initially use a very slow approach speed to prevent damaging the probe in case your connections happen to be incorrect so that the probe signal is not being received by the Tormach. Once you have verified correct probing operation you can finalize your electrical connections and you should be good to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hudmut View Post
    That's good news that it can be saved and used with the mill.

From what I can put together in my minds eye is that I can power the probe from pin 1 (5v ) and pin 4 for ground/common. Its getting my head around the trigger I don't under stand do I just send a signal down pin 5 from the probe. There is active low and active high to pick from as well I'm there is a massive part of this I'm missing or over looking.
    In the image you provided, Pin 5 shows (rest position is low, deflected is high) This is the pin that gives you NC contact. The opto-isolater needs to be grounded (hence low) when not triggered. So from your probe, use pin 1,2,5 (0 ,5V, trigger)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a result.

On the bench running from transformer I can get the probe to work in NC and NO there is no need to give the probe an extra common. This is what I didn't understand at first all being well come Sunday night we could be up and running.

Does any body know the name of the plug on the Tormach mill.

Last edited by hudmut; 02-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

"So from your probe, use pin 1,2,5 (0 ,5V, trigger)"

My suggestion that hudmut test for the appropriate touch probe output polarity was based on Tormach apparently having available at least two different probes with opposite output polarities (I do not have either one of the Tormach probes for testing). As a result some have apparently (based on previous reporting on this forum) had to reverse the sense polarity in the setup screens since the probes in question only had a single output polarity (NC or NO but not both).

Downloads
    Uploads

"Does any body know the name of the plug on the Tormach mill."

The question is somewhat ambiguous - what do you want to name yours? It is a DIN 5 pin 180 degree female connector and the mating male end is available at a lot of places. Here are some places where you can get either sex of these types of connectors (if this even answers your question):

Female end (mounted on the Tormach electrical cabinet): 5-Pin DIN Panel Mount Jack
    Male end (attaches to a cable and plugs into the Tormach): https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...-1050-ND/96997

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    "So from your probe, use pin 1,2,5 (0 ,5V, trigger)"

My suggestion that hudmut test for the appropriate touch probe output polarity was based on Tormach apparently having available at least two different probes with opposite output polarities (I do not have either one of the Tormach probes for testing). As a result some have apparently (based on previous reporting on this forum) had to reverse the sense polarity in the setup screens since the probes in question only had a single output polarity (NC or NO but not both).
    Testing always good. Though the photo that kstrauss attached with the probe in action shows deflected is when you want to tell PP to stop, so if he wants to use the Passive type probe for the Probe page, he does need to use pin 5. Note that if he used the other pin, PP will complain when trying to probe as it can't find it. PP only knows there is a Passive type probe when it gets NC (grounded signal) on its signal pin, to differentiate between no Probe inserted and a correct one is. Best test would be to have high enough Z and use finger to deflect to stop. It just happened that his type have a NO (inverted) output signal as well to be used for other controller. Other controllers can take either.