Cleaning under 1100...And promoting coolant flow back to tank?

Thread: Cleaning under 1100...And promoting coolant flow back to tank?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cleaning under 1100...And promoting coolant flow back to tank?

How are you guys cleaning under the mill? I have the stremliners just have to finish installing them. But I need to clean under the mill first. Was thinking about a small brush on a stick. Though about using coolant wash down hose concern is splashing metal on to the ball screw.

Also what have you guys done to get coolant back to the tank...1100 stand sucks when it comes to coolant flow. Though about angling the stand very lightly... like 0.005 over a foot. to just angle it bacck and to the left slightly. However I don't know what this would do to machining accuracy.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cleaning under 1100...And promoting coolant flow back to tank?

I don't think I would use a brush or any thing else that could potentially throw swarf up into the screw or bearings.

You could probably tape a smaller piece of hose to a shop vac and get that in there to clean it out. It will probably plug constantly and take a while, but that will still be a lot less time than having to pull the screw to clean it out.

For the stand, I think that would work well. There are advantages to having the machine level, so I would shim it back up. There a people who know better than me on that and I would wait for one of them to chime in.

Downloads
    Uploads

To influence the flow toward the drain, adjust the stand out of level and then shim the mill base back to level.
    A flexible push stick rod (sheet metal) will clear the underbelly.
    Also, when using the streamliner, be sure to uncover and check the drain trap occasionally for chip buildup that could starve the pump....Learned that one yesterday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    To influence the flow toward the drain, adjust the stand out of level and then shim the mill base back to level.
    A flexible push stick rod (sheet metal) will clear the underbelly.
    Also, when using the streamliner, be sure to uncover and check the drain trap occasionally for chip buildup that could starve the pump....Learned that one yesterday.
    Uman. How is you coolant line routed from the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Remote tank with submerged pump and supply line is routed thru the pass thru in the Tormach stand and to a manifold attached to the head. Straight forward and no mystery there.
    The drain return from the stand to the remote tank is the challenge.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking that. Thinking of changing the routing now that I have the stream liners because my tank to filter line will not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I took the top to the stock tank and bolted it to the top of a 14 gallon rubbermaid low height tupperware. Then I used the stock drain system and just extended the drain hose a little to reach the new tank (It sits under the left side pan)

Streamlines are one of my next planned mods.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a small piece of aluminum angle (1/2x1/2-in?) bolted to a rod that is long enough to be pushed all the way from one side to the other. I use it to "rake" out from under the saddle.

The coolant system and water proofing is absolutely horrible for these machines. Make sure you seal your base to your pan attachments first. Second thing I would do is upgrade your pump, pump tank, and line feeding nozzles. I would then plumb in a hose spigot into your coolant system to help clean up afterwards (now you will have enough pressure to push chips under the mill). This isn't perfect but it will be a lot better if you want to go full flood. Sometimes I need to help push the chips under my mill manually as well and I have found one of the large paint stirring sticks from your local big box stores will do the trick. Usually they will just give you one for free and I have had mine for over a year now. Finally you might want to consider putting a second drain on the right side of the mill base. That will be my next upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Most people know this but the way oil line for the y axis ball screw hangs down under there and I found it easy to catch it and move it around while cleaning under mill. The lines are not a very robust material so damage would be easy. I also noticed from pictures over the years that these lines are located in different places, so your mill might not have this problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Upgraded pump and washdown hose works great for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the leak/cleaning problem when the machine was new, in my situation I piped all the coolant directly to the sump screen, nothing gets on the top of the stand now.
    I had coolant getting into the computer compartment, believe me that was the pitts, not a problem now.

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I had the leak/cleaning problem when the machine was new, in my situation I piped all the coolant directly to the sump screen, nothing gets on the top of the stand now.
    I had coolant getting into the computer compartment, believe me that was the pitts, not a problem now.
    Mike,

Do you have any pictures of your coolant system? Interested to see how you piped the return system

Downloads
    Uploads

I will take some tonight, Basically piped from the table drains to the screen I had to use Tygon tube as the vinyl gets hard very quickly using oil. I also use one from the front shield, to the drain as well, basically thats it.
    I will take some pics.

mike sr