Battery for TTS Electronic Edge Finder

Thread: Battery for TTS Electronic Edge Finder

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Battery for TTS Electronic Edge Finder

Anyone know of what battery the Tormach TTS Electronic Edge Finder uses? Tormach does not sell it anymore and I cannot find any details on it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6Xv7_rHHnWzHGL

Thanks,
    Awall

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Battery for TTS Electronic Edge Finder

Remove the battery cells and examine them for their identification numbers. Then simple look for that part number on the web. It could also easily be the case that the same cells are also sold by any store that sells watch batteries.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Zetopan View Post
    Remove the battery cells and examine them for their identification numbers. Then simple look for that part number on the web. It could also easily be the case that the same cells are also sold by any store that sells watch batteries.

Not clear what device is the subject here! Are you talking about the ball end edge finder that lights up when you touch your material? If so could never get that tool to work correctly or consistently and batteries made no difference.

Downloads
    Uploads

IDK about that one, but most of the similar ones I've seen use a couple or three 1.5v button cells, usually the typical SR44-type.

Coin cells where the diameter exceeds the height by a significant margin are numbered by width-in-mm+height-in-10ths-of-a-mm, so a 2032 coin cell is 20mm across and 3.2mm tall, but the button cells are mostly not so nicely numbered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alkaline_cells

If you don't have the old batteries then it's more of a challenge to figure out what it wants. Most of them were extremely simple inside and so want about 3 to 4.5 volts to run the LED directly and rely on the battery to limit the current.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Not clear what device is the subject here! Are you talking about the ball end edge finder that lights up when you touch your material? If so could never get that tool to work correctly or consistently and batteries made no difference.
    FWIW, I have a Starrett 1-in digital mic that worked great until the original battery died. The display wouldn't work with a new battery of the same type (ID number) and Starrett told me that it would only work a specific brand of battery. Bought one of those and it worked, good as new. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. So far as I could tell there a small difference in thickness between the "good" and "bad" battery brands, something like a few thou.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have that edge finder. I opened up the back and found a spring and two T&E AG5 batteries. The two batteries are held together in a short piece of vinyl tube. I don't know if these are silver oxide or not. The silver oxide hold a working voltage longer in my calipers and is what I would likely replace mine with when needed. I see online that the AG5 is the same as 309, 393, and LR48 battery designations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tbkahuna View Post
    I have that edge finder. I opened up the back and found a spring and two T&E AG5 batteries. The two batteries are held together in a short piece of vinyl tube. I don't know if these are silver oxide or not. The silver oxide hold a working voltage longer in my calipers and is what I would likely replace mine with when needed. I see online that the AG5 is the same as 309, 393, and LR48 battery designations.
    Thanks for the info. I figured I would take that pair to Batteries plus some day and try again. Never had a chance but I need to get it functioning. Hate to have tools that don't work. Having a Hamier as my primary offset finder makes all the others set on the rack as backups or for special needs. But when you need them you need them!