Automatic oiler malfunction

Thread: Automatic oiler malfunction

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Automatic oiler malfunction

When I installed the automatic oiler on my 770, it worked fine. That was about a month ago. I just spent a few days cutting - really for the first time since I installed the machine - and noticed the oiler does not stay on - it keeps flickering on and off. I know it is meant to oil hen the spindle is on or the VFD is on - and it used to do that - but now it doesn't stay on for more than a half second or so.

All wiring seems intact.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Automatic oiler malfunction

I would remove the top cover from the oiler and confirm that power is reaching the black and white wires on the blue screw connector. If you are getting power there then the problem is within the oiler. A problem here will probably require a warranty replacement of the whole unit although I would first tighten all of the screw terminals and carefully inspect for anything obviously amiss. If there is not power as expected then the problem is the wiring within the Tormach control panel. The oiler installation manual has a trouble shooting section that may assist in resolving the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks - its not the oiler - if I plug the oiler directly into an electrical outlet, it works fine. Strange thing is that the spindle and the rest of the mill works fine too - so why its not getting power from the Contactor that supplies the VFD is strange. I'll probably just power it off an electrical outlet.

Downloads
    Uploads

An automatic oiler should not be running all the time. Some allow you to set the time delay within a certain range. Some are preset.
    That said, a half a second is not enough time for an oil cycle.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

The oiler has the timer built into it - both for frequency and duration of the cycle. Tormach recommends 5 seconds every 4 hours

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    Thanks - its not the oiler - if I plug the oiler directly into an electrical outlet, it works fine. Strange thing is that the spindle and the rest of the mill works fine too - so why its not getting power from the Contactor that supplies the VFD is strange. I'll probably just power it off an electrical outlet.
    If power is not coming from the Tormach control then the only possibility would seem to be mis-wiring or a loose connection. Following the Tormach troubleshooting steps should find the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dannirr View Post
    When I installed the automatic oiler on my 770, it worked fine. That was about a month ago. I just spent a few days cutting - really for the first time since I installed the machine - and noticed the oiler does not stay on - it keeps flickering on and off. I know it is meant to oil hen the spindle is on or the VFD is on - and it used to do that - but now it doesn't stay on for more than a half second or so.

All wiring seems intact.

Any ideas?
    I went to run some parts this morning and found that my Automatic oiler has just quit working. It didn't flicker or anything like that. It just doesn't go on like it used to. I too am getting what appears to be the correct amount of power to the unit. The fuse appears to be fine; I mean I can attach my multi-meter to it and get continuity. All connections are good. There's power on both ends of my cables, it's just not turning on the oiler or even indicating that it's on like it used to.

When it was working, the Automatic Oiler LEDs would light up to indicate that it was working. It's a good thing for me that the parts I was going to run aren't critical parts that I need right now. This give me time to iron out this Oiler problem. I don't want to run my 770 without the Automatic Oiler working so I thought I'd resurrect this thread in hopes that the OP had found the answer to his Automatic Oiler problem.

I didn't know that it was possible to plug it directly into a wall outlet as mentioned in one of the posts here. Is this true? If so I'll try it to confirm if the unit has totally given up the ghost or if maybe it's some type of wiring or computer glitch between the Oiler and the power leads.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I went to run some parts this morning and found that my Automatic oiler has just quit working. It didn't flicker or anything like that. It just doesn't go on like it used to. I too am getting what appears to be the correct amount of power to the unit. The fuse appears to be fine; I mean I can attach my multi-meter to it and get continuity. All connections are good. There's power on both ends of my cables, it's just not turning on the oiler or even indicating that it's on like it used to.

When it was working, the Automatic Oiler LEDs would light up to indicate that it was working. It's a good thing for me that the parts I was going to run aren't critical parts that I need right now. This give me time to iron out this Oiler problem. I don't want to run my 770 without the Automatic Oiler working so I thought I'd resurrect this thread in hopes that the OP had found the answer to his Automatic Oiler problem.

I didn't know that it was possible to plug it directly into a wall outlet as mentioned in one of the posts here. Is this true? If so I'll try it to confirm if the unit has totally given up the ghost or if maybe it's some type of wiring or computer glitch between the Oiler and the power leads.

MetalShavings

OK; thanks to the tech support guy (Joe) at Tormach I got it figured out. My next question for those of you who happen onto this thread is, Did You Ever Feel Like A Total Moron once you found out the answers to your machining dilemmas? I've owned my 770 for years now with almost no technical problems whatsoever; other than one limit switch malfunction.

The problem with my Automatic Oiler was that it had no problems. It's just that they are designed to turn on when the spindle is spinning. I should have already known this for as long as I've owned my Tormach. Before now, every time I've even looked at my Automatic Oiler or heard it running was when my machine happened to be running parts so, that's how I got it into my mind that it was supposed to light up as soon as the machine when on. Oh Well, live and learn. I'm just glad the only real problem was ignorance on my part rather than a real problem with my machine.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that, more accurately, the oiler runs when the VFD is powered rather than when the spindle is spinning. At least that is how mine works.

Downloads
    Uploads

I seem to recall the tech support guy telling me the same thing. I'm not really sure what "VFD" is the acronym for. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes it's an annoying curse. Fortunately, ignorance can be overcome. At any rate, it looks like I'll be able to run my parts tomorrow.

MetalShavings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I turn my machine I, turn the spindle on for 5 seconds and turn it off. This is to start up the oiler.

The oiler is tied to C2 contacter if you move the wires to C1 contacter the oiler will be on when the machine is powered on (when you hit the start button)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I seem to recall the tech support guy telling me the same thing. I'm not really sure what "VFD" is the acronym for. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes it's an annoying curse. Fortunately, ignorance can be overcome. At any rate, it looks like I'll be able to run my parts tomorrow.

MetalShavings

VFD= Variable frequency drive. Open the cabinet and ti's the long rectangle that's about 1/3 from the bottom (on the 1100 at least)