Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

These machines cost a lot and I'm cutting cost where I can. I'm curious as to what you guys have found that tormach sales (tool height gauge, tool holder, jog shuttler, monitors, etc) cheap but works just as good

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

I've been using these ER20 collets from CME for $5.50 each. They also have good prices on other accessories like gauge blocks and pins. Their vises are priced $122 for 4" and $166 for 6". I've been thinking of ordering the 6" vise.

CME Tools

You can order the touch screen monitor directly from Monoprice for $159.

17" Touchsreen

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Tormach is generally competitive. There are exceptions (ER20 holders for a while were half price from YS, for example), but in general the same quality item is not wildly different from Tormach or another vendor, and sometimes much cheaper from Tormach (recent example, fuses- Tormach at 9 bucks, Grainger 16-20). For consumables, Maritool endmills, for example, are usually a couple bucks cheaper than a similar Tormach item, but then Tormach is cheaper than several others.

Net- shop around, make sure you're comparing equivalent quality. You'll save a few bucks here and there, but it's always worth checking Tormach's price and specs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

One of the key things I'm looking at is CPU. One can buy a Dell desk top for $400, $89 Mesa card and $30 for PP and get a way better CPU than what Tormach sells. When I say better, quality. Seen a lot of issues with PC's on the Tormach user FB group recently.

I was thinking of buying in to their TTS system. I really want a height gauge and Haimer. Amazon is $385 on a Haimer right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    One of the key things I'm looking at is CPU. .
    Go for it. Path Pilot is friendly to a wide variety of hardware. And you don't need to buy something new, the program does not demand a super fast computer. An older refurbished computer, or even a three generation old desktop you have lying around should be adequate.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I went with the 19" touch screen from monoprice, wait for a good sale. It was a bit under 200 when I bought it.

I used a mobo I had lying around, with a SSD and bought a MESA card

Novokan sells ATC tool holders that look to be the same as Tormachs for a bit less, I have yet to buy them since they have been out of stock for a few months now.

Collets = Maritool

Endmills, I just buy what I need. Source varies but I like lakeshore carbide, I also like destiny tool but they are a bit harder to source for me. I also buy a lot of HSS endmills. Really it just depends on application.

Drills, I had metric, number and letter from little machine shop.. They are ok... I buy Guhring as replacements as needed

Taps, I buy as needed

Vise = Kurt

Haimer I bought off amazon and use a 3/4" ER32 to hold it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Josh what Kurt vise do you use? D688/D6X would be to long (front to back) with a enclosure I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    I went with the 19" touch screen from monoprice, wait for a good sale. It was a bit under 200 when I bought it.

I used a mobo I had lying around, with a SSD and bought a MESA card

Novokan sells ATC tool holders that look to be the same as Tormachs for a bit less, I have yet to buy them since they have been out of stock for a few months now.

Collets = Maritool

Endmills, I just buy what I need. Source varies but I like lakeshore carbide, I also like destiny tool but they are a bit harder to source for me. I also buy a lot of HSS endmills. Really it just depends on application.

Drills, I had metric, number and letter from little machine shop.. They are ok... I buy Guhring as replacements as needed

Taps, I buy as needed

Vise = Kurt

Haimer I bought off amazon and use a 3/4" ER32 to hold it

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy very accurate electronic tool setters for ~$100 on ebay. Cheaper and better than the Tormach height gauge system and way cheaper than the Tormach ETS. The Hallmark ITTP is also far better value than the Haimer or Tormach touch probes (although if you're on a budget, you're better off just buying a $20 edge finder).

If you search you'll find threads were people made their own power drawbar. Tormach's is essentially 3 air cylinders from China bolted together. Ditto for the enclosure and even stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using a 6" Kurt and happy with it. The crank end does hang over a bit but not a problem. Maximum "-Y" is somewhat problematic but I rarely need it As Confucius once said, "It's much easier to put a small piece in a large vise than to put a large piece in a small vise." A pair of 5" vises might be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smurpau View Post
    If you search you'll find threads were people made their own power drawbar. Tormach's is essentially 3 air cylinders from China bolted together. Ditto for the enclosure and even stand.
    Take a look at for a DIY build of a PDB very similar to the Tormach unit. He includes drawings and part numbers. Actually his whole video has many good ideas for improvements on a budget.

Downloads
    Uploads

For me it's not just the price of the item, but the shipping charges that count. Buying from three different places to save a few dollars on each item seems like a good idea, but if you can get it all from the same place with one shipping charge, you will probably save some money.

Just a thought.

Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking to pick up a Power Drawbar in the next few months, so I decided to get my air compressor early. The 4.6 gallon unit that Tormach sells here is $248, but I went with the 5.5 gallon version from Home Depot. Since it's not carried in the store, Home Depot offers free shipping to the store or your house. I chose my house and had it on my doorstep for $150 shipped with tax. I'm not sure what Tormach charges for shipping.

The air blast from the line is louder than the compressor on this unit. So far I really like it in my basement.

Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to look into something like this, mine is a 5 hp 2 stage and when it comes on its over 95 db, I thought about moving it outside in a separate room............

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I need to look into something like this, mine is a 5 hp 2 stage and when it comes on its over 95 db, I thought about moving it outside in a separate room............
    I second the California Air compressors for quietness. Incredible difference. You can also get the Tormach version on Amazon for $150 (free shipping as well, if you have Prime).

https://www.amazon.com/California-Ai.../dp/B01G75OV1K

It is kind of baffling that regular noisy compressors still sell. Maybe there is a trade-off for having such low sound levels? I haven't noticed one though. Make sure you install the filter that comes with it, as that is much of the sound reduction. When I first powered mine on, it was somewhat quieter, but I wasn't impressed. I realized that there was a filter that needed to be installed (simple) and after that, I was stunned.

Downloads
    Uploads

I built a closet for my two compressors. Insulated it and sheet rocked inside and out. Its helped a lot

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Mike, I have two of these and love them! One is the one Tormach sells and the other is the Home Depot 10 gallon unit - 2 hp unit. Love them both!!!!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...020C/206644539

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

However..... if the budget holds I will most likely be picking one of these up at the end of 2018.

Scroll Compressors

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Almost picked up a new compressor last month. I am shopping for 155 psi min units. My current noise maker max psi is 120 psi and requires my PDB to be adjusted to the low cycle pressure in my case just above 100 psi. A 155 max psi compressor should cycle at 130 psi and allow the full regulated 120 psi to pdb at all times. Something I don't have now

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Almost picked up a new compressor last month. I am shopping for 155 psi min units. My current noise maker max psi is 120 psi and requires my PDB to be adjusted to the low cycle pressure in my case just above 100 psi. A 155 max psi compressor should cycle at 130 psi and allow the full regulated 120 psi to pdb at all times. Something I don't have now
    Change or adjust pressure setting. 30 psi isn’t going to do anything those tanks and hardware are tested with way more pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Change or adjust pressure setting. 30 psi isn’t going to do anything those tanks and hardware are tested with way more pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The power cycle low pressure switch is factory set and has no adjustment on my compressor and it cycles at some preset low pressure around 100 psi and shuts off at preset of 120psi. If I adjust my pdb to the point when the compressor has just shut off ie 120 psi. The next time I try to change a tool, if the compressor did not just complete a cycle the pressure will be lower and the pdb will not release the tool holder. If I grab the air gun and release air and let it cycle to full max psi of 120 I can then release my tool normally. I do this sometimes to get the pdb a little tighter for heavy cuts , but most the time I end up adjusting it back to the low pressure my noise maker cycles at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast