Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Items that Tormach sells that can be had for cheaper?

Just a heads up on my experience with The California Air Tools compressors. I have had a couple. They are quiet, but duty cycle is not great. I ran these pretty heavily on my machining center and seem to only last a year or two. So if your machine sucks lots of air, probably better off with commercial compressor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
    Just a heads up on my experience with The California Air Tools compressors. I have had a couple. They are quiet, but duty cycle is not great. I ran these pretty heavily on my machining center and seem to only last a year or two. So if your machine sucks lots of air, probably better off with commercial compressor.
    Think of the California Air Tools compressor as the "gateway" drug.... I mean "compressor" until one can afford a screw or scroll compressor.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    The power cycle low pressure switch is factory set and has no adjustment on my compressor and it cycles at some preset low pressure around 100 psi and shuts off at preset of 120psi. If I adjust my pdb to the point when the compressor has just shut off ie 120 psi. The next time I try to change a tool, if the compressor did not just complete a cycle the pressure will be lower and the pdb will not release the tool holder. If I grab the air gun and release air and let it cycle to full max psi of 120 I can then release my tool normally. I do this sometimes to get the pdb a little tighter for heavy cuts , but most the time I end up adjusting it back to the low pressure my noise maker cycles at.
    It's a pressure sensor that is easy to change or adjust. Take the cover off where the switch to turn the compressor on or loo for a sensor. I've done it numerous times.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    It's a pressure sensor that is easy to change or adjust. Take the cover off where the switch to turn the compressor on or loo for a sensor. I've done it numerous times.
    I tried many years ago and just now . I cant find anything to adjust.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tried many years ago and just now . I cant find anything to adjust.
    Post a picture of it and the cover off the switch (use to turn it off on)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Thanks for the help, Bottom line my compressor works but is not a high duty cycle tool. If I run it to much it will seize up. I need a better duty cycle unit with higher pressure and 210v. Save my smaller unit for less demanding portable use.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help, Bottom line my compressor works but is not a high duty cycle tool. If I run it to much it will seize up. I need a better duty cycle unit with higher pressure and 210v. Save my smaller unit for less demanding portable use.
    No kidding, we have a 60 gallon Kobalt for shop work (tractors, skidsteers, etc). We have had it well over 10 years now. Only thing to fail was the pressure switch. It is on it's last leg but just keep the oil change every year or 6 months. Put a automatic drain or timer.

Quincy is the best but $$. I need a smaller 10gallon my self and while I like the idea of the California Air being quiet the duty cycle and being able to keep up concerns me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have an old Puma 60 gallon tank 2 stage, has served me well for over 30 years, a bit noisy but I know when its runing without straining my hearing ha!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Just finished installing a Monoprice 17-Inch touch screen (model 15482). Here are my observations. It has mounting holes for Vesa 75 x 75, so I had to drill new holes in my existing mounting plate. Only two of the holes on the back of the monitor have threaded inserts. Not sure if I am supposed to use the included sheet metal screws for the unthreaded holes. When removing the protective tape off the bezel, I discovered that I needed to be careful when removing the tape off the lettering on the bottom right hand side. Removing the tape tends to remove the letters. The monitor has a built-in USB cable. I attached this to the same USB port my mouse was attached. When first powered it up, I couldn't get the monitor to select the VGA port. The manual said to use the PC port for VGA. After some time, I discovered a VGA button on the remote. Yep, this monitor has a remote. Something else to lose. After pushing the VGA button, the display came up. Finally some success. The monitor comes up 1024 x 768 resolution. I know the monitor can do 1280 x 1024, but the existing resolution seems the correct scale for the touch controls. Touch screen worked right away. The only issue is that there is a mouse cursor that follows my finger touches.Anyone know how to disable the cursor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have an old Puma 60 gallon tank 2 stage, has served me well for over 30 years, a bit noisy but I know when its runing without straining my hearing ha!!
    Bit noisy My single stage DIRECT drive compressor is at jack hammer levels for sound. Great because it is kind of portable. Bottom line will never buy a compressor that does not have a belt and pulley drive system.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sir John View Post
    Just finished installing a Monoprice 17-Inch touch screen (model 15482). Here are my observations. It has mounting holes for Vesa 75 x 75, so I had to drill new holes in my existing mounting plate. Only two of the holes on the back of the monitor have threaded inserts. Not sure if I am supposed to use the included sheet metal screws for the unthreaded holes. When removing the protective tape off the bezel, I discovered that I needed to be careful when removing the tape off the lettering on the bottom right hand side. Removing the tape tends to remove the letters. The monitor has a built-in USB cable. I attached this to the same USB port my mouse was attached. When first powered it up, I couldn't get the monitor to select the VGA port. The manual said to use the PC port for VGA. After some time, I discovered a VGA button on the remote. Yep, this monitor has a remote. Something else to lose. After pushing the VGA button, the display came up. Finally some success. The monitor comes up 1024 x 768 resolution. I know the monitor can do 1280 x 1024, but the existing resolution seems the correct scale for the touch controls. Touch screen worked right away. The only issue is that there is a mouse cursor that follows my finger touches.Anyone know how to disable the cursor?
    I have the same monitor and had the same issues. I only used the two threaded holes and wondered the same about the self-taping screws. Would be nice if the manual said what those screws were for. I've had the monitor form more than a year now and it works great.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've bought about 20-30 TTS style collets from DarkOn: 20 x DARKON ER20 PRECISION COLLETS | eBay

Last edited by mcphill; 01-12-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    I've bout 20-30 TTS style collets from DarkOn: 20 x DARKON ER20 PRECISION COLLETS | eBay
    I've been using ER20 and ER 16 collets from CME Tools. The ER20's are only $5.50 and the ER16's are $5.95. Their service is excellent. I usually receive my order the next day.

https://cme-tools.myshopify.com/coll...ant=5698047811

Downloads
    Uploads

I purchased a 17-inch Monoprice 106959 about two years ago from Amazon. This model appears to be still available (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=6959). Works great and it came with inserts in all four corners of the VESA mounting surface. Alas, it has control buttons rather than a remote...

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know if YSTools on Ebay sells ER20 Imperial Collet sets? I only see metric listed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12