Anyone find replacement fuses?

Thread: Anyone find replacement fuses?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone find replacement fuses?

other than tormach? I have already placed an order with them but I need to finish a bunch of work by Christmas and just blew the spindle fuse. 6a, 10x38mm, up to 500v real time. So many options, as of now I'm waiting until mid week. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone find replacement fuses?

have you looked at suppliers like
    RS Components (https://www.alliedelec.com/)
    , Farnell (http://www.newark.com)
    or Mouser (https://www.mouser.com)?

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't but I defiantly will. Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Local electronics store. No, not whatever is still alive and the equivalent of Radio Shack- go to the place that supplies amateur radio, industrial electronics, etc. I've never seen one that won't sell over the counter to anybody, and if you take the fuse with you the counter clerk will likely say "that's a Buss xyz" and go get you a box. Example of such stores is Shields Electronics. Any city over 100K will have at least one, usually in a very industrial location. I can tell you that Shields specifically has fuses that fit the 1100, that's where I got my spares. Prices comparable or a bit higher than Tormach, but available immediately.

Another thought is a really good hardware store or electrical to-the-trade supplier. Again, big box is hopeless, but the local hardware store may well have something that will work or even exactly what you need. Ditto electrical supplier, but those guys can be fussy about taxable sales (or, today, are equally likely to not care at all since a sale is a sale). For example, Grainger is picky, but MSC -essentially the same stock- will sell to anyone.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few years ago I had a Tormach fuse go on a weekend and a replacement in that size was not obtainable on short notice-- I was able to get a fuse with the same specifications but different size in an inline holder which I spliced in until I was able to get the right fuse.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are in a hurry, McMaster-Carr carries a huge range of fuses:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#fuses/=1apqqhp

I don't see metric, but 1-1/2-in long x 13/32" diameter comes pretty darn close to 38x10mm.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of the responses. I found out I'm about 10 miles away from granger and msc. Lucky me. Hopefully Monday will be productive!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ryan99yz View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. I found out I'm about 10 miles away from granger and msc. Lucky me. Hopefully Monday will be productive!
    Unless you are an established customer Grainger could be tedious. While it may have changed, I had to jump through hoops there to get approved as a business (copy of sales tax form or equivalent). If I recall correctly, they'd do one sale and then refuse future ones unless you proved you were a business, not an individual. That may not be true at the counter; I've never done a walk-in there without a customer number and calling ahead. MSC sells to all comers, but my local one is an outpost with little stock, so I'm always paying shipping (Grainger ships to store free).

Both have excellent online websites with local store inventory. You might check that before driving. Tormach lists Buss and Littelfuse equivalents (at least, in my 1100 manual they do) and just putting those numbers into the Grainger site gets me availablity at my local store and cost. The 10x38 mm ones are KTK-15 and KTK-6 (probably the one you want), both in stock locally here for $15.50 each. (edit- just looked at Tormach: 8.87 for the same fuse! If one wants a fuse kit, buy 'em from Tormach. Lots cheaper, even with shipping. Which, in most states, will be covered by avoided sales tax if you're buying fifty bucks worth of fuses.).

Something I haven't seen asked: do you know why your spindle fuse blew, and have you cleared the fault? If the answer is don't know/not sure, buy more than one....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am very new to this and was drilling. I must have pushed it too hard unknowingly. Thanks for all of the info, looks like convince still costs money lol