Finally Some Time With Rapid Turn

Thread: Finally Some Time With Rapid Turn

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finally Some Time With Rapid Turn

Finally getting to spend a little time with the RT. Actually works well within it's design limitations. I've been using it for 2nd Op work from my 14x40 manual so the lack of hp and rigidity aren't major concerns. So fat it has excellent accuracy and repeatability. The main issue I am having is the work envelope is only bout 8 or so inches with Tormach's much too tall tailpiece. It's that old "Catch 22" thing. Can't have a long workpiece without the tailpiece but with the tailpiece there's no room for long work. Besides limitations caused by the oversize tailpiece, the Rube Goldberg tool holder contributes more that it's fair share of aggravation. I think the gang tool holder Keen made is a big step in the right direction. I wish he'd market that. As soon as possible I'll make a better tailpiece for a MT1 live center I have. I might mount the RT on the right end of the Tormach's table and gain a few more precious inches. Tormach could've given it a 1 1/2 hp motor so it wouldn't be necessary to putz around switching USB things for the VFD. between the 1100 and the RT. One time I forgot to unswitch the USB thing and the blue smoke almost escaped from both my motor and the VFD. Second time in my life I had some good luck. In all though the RT is a far cry from a CNC lathe, it is useful. It does threading and also turns shapes I can't make on my manual. I don't regret having bought it but for serious lathe work I'd opt for the real deal.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the product review.

Quote Originally Posted by jttoner View Post
    Finally getting to spend a little time with the RT. Actually works well within it's design limitations. I've been using it for 2nd Op work from my 14x40 manual so the lack of hp and rigidity aren't major concerns. So fat it has excellent accuracy and repeatability. The main issue I am having is the work envelope is only bout 8 or so inches with Tormach's much too tall tailpiece. It's that old "Catch 22" thing. Can't have a long workpiece without the tailpiece but with the tailpiece there's no room for long work. Besides limitations caused by the oversize tailpiece, the Rube Goldberg tool holder contributes more that it's fair share of aggravation. I think the gang tool holder Keen made is a big step in the right direction. I wish he'd market that. As soon as possible I'll make a better tailpiece for a MT1 live center I have. I might mount the RT on the right end of the Tormach's table and gain a few more precious inches. Tormach could've given it a 1 1/2 hp motor so it wouldn't be necessary to putz around switching USB things for the VFD. between the 1100 and the RT. One time I forgot to unswitch the USB thing and the blue smoke almost escaped from both my motor and the VFD. Second time in my life I had some good luck. In all though the RT is a far cry from a CNC lathe, it is useful. It does threading and also turns shapes I can't make on my manual. I don't regret having bought it but for serious lathe work I'd opt for the real deal.