Compression Tapping Head

Thread: Compression Tapping Head

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Compression Tapping Head

When I got my 1100, I also bought the modular tapping head kit (#31807). I am happy with its performance, but sometimes it would be nice to have 2 taps set up (or even 3 possibly), and now I realize that the ER16/20 tapping heads (#32020/#32021) would have been more practical than the modular kit. Has anyone used the ER16/20 tapping heads, and how do they perform?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Compression Tapping Head

I use the ER20 T/C tapping head and they work great for both cutting and forming taps. I've tapped from 6-32 to 5/16-18

Downloads
    Uploads

32021 works just fine here.

Not sure how one would set up multiple taps for a quick tool change without buying multiple copies of the TC head, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have good luck with ER20 compression heads. But my only other experience with CNC tapping was with a Haas mini mill, the compression head is a whole different experience.

Some users here have worked out the process better than the two or three revolutions of having the tap bounce on the threads as it exits the hole that I still get.

to lazy to chase arrows

Downloads
    Uploads

I use the 32021 on my 770 and it works great. Very happy with it.

Since I tap mostly small holes (M3), I wish I had purchased the ER16 version. If I ever need another that is the one I'll get.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use the ER16 tension/compression tapping head on my series II 1100 and once I figured out the process, I haven’t broken a tap in a little over 5 years and I tap holes as small as 2-56.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    When I got my 1100, I also bought the modular tapping head kit (#31807). I am happy with its performance, but sometimes it would be nice to have 2 taps set up (or even 3 possibly), and now I realize that the ER16/20 tapping heads (#32020/#32021) would have been more practical than the modular kit. Has anyone used the ER16/20 tapping heads, and how do they perform?
    I have 3 er20 tc units setup for 6-32,8-32 and 1/4-20 . Also 3 1/4 chucks setup with size bits and 1 or 2 chucks setup with clearance sized bits. Throw in 3 sizes of thread mills that pretty much do most any thread profile standard or custom.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    32021 works just fine here.

Not sure how one would set up multiple taps for a quick tool change without buying multiple copies of the TC head, though.
    That was my point. Since I need to buy multiple heads anyways (to have quick changes), the ER 16/20 solution would be more economical. I did well avoiding almost all "sets" and "kits", except I was weak and bought the modular tapping kit. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like the ER 16/20 heads are solid.