Computer Won't Communicate With Machine

Thread: Computer Won't Communicate With Machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Computer Won't Communicate With Machine

My original computer from 2007 finally **** the bed. A friend put me together a new PC with a serial port and XP so I could continue running the Tormach Mach III that I am used to. I loaded the Tormach Mach III and my original license. When I go to start the machine, I do what I've always done, let Mach III come up, hit the start button to get the machine powered up and hit reset on the Mach III screen. When I do that, Mach III shows that the E-stop is still engaged. It is not, as everything in the machine cabinet powers up and the VFD/spindle will work on manual mode.

Any ideas of where to start to trouble shoot?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Computer Won't Communicate With Machine

Check and/or swap out the printer cable, or at least plug/unplug it.

If the new computer has never successfully run your machine, I'd suspect a problem there next. Maybe a bad serial port, misconfigured, something like that. Anything you can do to swap out major subsystems would be worth a check. Another thought- Tormach had a specific list of motherboards/processors that would run the 1100 with Mach3- are you using one of those? As I recall, there were some obscure system clock problems.

Then try reinstalling Mach, or everything, from scratch.

A few years ago my copy of Mach running under XP just went nuts. Mostly, it was a spindle problem, but other stuff too. I'd reinstall, it'd work for a while, then blow up. Happened with two totally different computers (same XP and Mach images, though). I switched to PP, problem went away. Zero changes to the machine, cables, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can help you to startup your tormach machine again.

please contact me by

mattcnc@protonmail.com

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    A friend put me together a new PC with a serial port and XP so I could continue running the Tormach Mach III that I am used to. ...........................Any ideas of where to start to trouble shoot?
    You need a parallel port and cable not serial. How did you manage to connect a serial cable to your Tormach mill?

Phil

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    You need a parallel port and cable not serial. How did you manage to connect a serial cable to your Tormach mill?

Phil
    Oh, dear. Talk about missing the skunk on the table! Right there in the manual, too. In fairness to the OP, though, it's a DB25 connector, not a Centronics 36 or 50 pin parallel. So a serial card would still fit the existing cable, I think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Oh, dear. Talk about missing the skunk on the table! Right there in the manual, too. In fairness to the OP, though, it's a DB25 connector, not a Centronics 36 or 50 pin parallel. So a serial card would still fit the existing cable, I think.
    If I remember correctly, a DB25 serial connector is the opposite of a parallel connector, so the cable shouldn't fit. Parallel is female while DB25 serial is male.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just fired mine up after 8 months inactivity. At first I couldn’t get the monitor to come on and I thought “oh crap, I’m going to have to buy a new monitor. Turns out I was pushing the wrong button.

Then I couldn’t get the machine to move to zero all 3 axis. Again, I was pushing the wrong button. I was pressing the cycle start button and I kept getting the message E-stop is active. I pressed the zero XYZ button now all is well with the world.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    If I remember correctly, a DB25 serial connector is the opposite of a parallel connector, so the cable shouldn't fit. Parallel is female while DB25 serial is male.
    Tormach manual, page 204 (the edition that came with the Series II machine): "You need a parallel printer port (25 pin D socket)"

A DB25 can and is used for both parallel and serial communications. Serial is more common. Obviously a male connector needs a female socket, so connector gender is irrelevant.

Back to the original question: 300sniper, any news on what the problem was?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, yeah, OK, I got the terminology mixed up between the ports/connectors....

I ended up uninstalling everything and reinstalling my original Tormach MachIII from when I bought the machine. It looks like I was missing the XMLTweak program. I then got the correct printer port selected and loaded the most current version of Tormach Mach. It works now.