Power drawbar on a 1100 with BT30 spindle

Thread: Power drawbar on a 1100 with BT30 spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power drawbar on a 1100 with BT30 spindle

Can't figure this out on the website. Has anyone got the 1100 with a power drawbar and the optional BT30 spindle. I know you can't have an ATC with that spindle.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power drawbar on a 1100 with BT30 spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2464 View Post
    Can't figure this out on the website. Has anyone got the 1100 with a power drawbar and the optional BT30 spindle. I know you can't have an ATC with that spindle.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, having no personal experience with CAT or BT30 spindles, but my understanding is that these tooling systems are not compatible with a power draw bar of the Tormach design. No spring collet, so the up/down motion is no help. The Saunders R8 power drawbar design using an air tool to spin the drawbar might work.

You might want to review the Tormach 1100 design white paper. I thought there was something there about using the 3/4" R8 collet vs the BT style tool holding. What I recall is that the 1100 is small enough that the extra rigidity of the BT style isn't much value, and the gain from fast tool changes is worth the trade-off. I had the impression that Tormach offered the BT spindle early on as a compatibility feature (if you had BT tooling already).

Added: here's a discussion from another forum, but with several of our long-time (and expert) members weighing in. This is probably what I was recalling.

https://en.industryarena.com/forum/b...es--97445.html

Downloads
    Uploads

The 770 manual (UM10350, chapter 8, page 146) says:

"NOTE: BT30 Spindle Cartridge is not compatible with pull-stud type BT30 tool holders, power drawbar or automatic tool changer (ATC)."

Downloads
    Uploads

The PDB does not work with the BT30, I have seen a guy make a setup that did. I found it in a Google search.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th