Tormach 440 bed issue

Thread: Tormach 440 bed issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 440 bed issue

We just got a new tormach 440 mill and found the T nuts are to high to work on the mill bed. T nuts supplied by tormach. Is it a commom practice to have to modify all T nuts to fit mill? or is there a problem with the 440 mill bed we received? We also got a fixture plate from Saunders (quality product I was impressed) and hits T nuts are aslo high so I came to the conclusion its a mill bed issue.

Similar Threads:

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 440 bed issue

Google is your best friend. Search - tee slot dimensions.

Phil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Google is your best friend. Search - tee slot dimensions.

Phil
    T NUTS are correct but my question is it normal to have to ground down to fit or did I get a mill with T slots to short ? If I did get a bed not correct is there going to be an issue as I use it? Im a newbe that just spent $13K and hope its not a long term problem. just a little rattled.

Last edited by bobbysmith; 11-16-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
    T slots are correct but my question is it normal to have to ground down to fit or did I get a mill with T slots to short ? If I did get a bed not correct is there going to be an issue as I use it? Im a newbe that just spent $13K and hope its not a long term problem. just a little rattled.
    I'm confused. You say T slots are correct, then you ask did I get a mill with T slots to short.

The T slots on the table should be manufactured to a standard, check this on the internet. If the T slots fit within the standard then you are OK, if not contact Tormach. I believe the tolerance on depth is quite wide. Do some studying until you understand the issues.

Phil

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I'm confused. You say T slots are correct, then you ask did I get a mill with T slots to short.

The T slots on the table should be manufactured to a standard, check this on the internet. If the T slots fit within the standard then you are OK, if not contact Tormach. I believe the tolerance on depth is quite wide. Do some studying until you understand the issues.

Phil
    See edit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
    T NUTS are correct but my question is it normal to have to ground down to fit or did I get a mill with T slots to short ? If I did get a bed not correct is there going to be an issue as I use it? Im a newbe that just spent $13K and hope its not a long term problem. just a little rattled.
    I assume the 440 uses a standard 5/8 slot, which appears to be a Tormach standard. For what it's worth, T slots on my 1100: 1.270 wide at base, total depth 1.069. Top part of the slot (0.627 wide), 0.570-.590 deep. Can't find an actual spec for the slots from Tormach other than "standard 5/8" slot comment in the white paper on the 1100. If it's a standard slot, a standard dimension t nut should fit fine with no modification. My t slots are very consistent end to end, and the center slot is 0.627 in the throat full length of the table. Other two slots are slightly wider, 0.628.

Standard dimensions:
    https://www.engineersedge.com/hardwa...nuts_13508.htm
    American National Standard T-Slots ANSI/ASME B5.1M-1985

Measure it up, and ask Tormach if what you have is in spec. If standard nuts fit at the bottom, but are too tall- stick up above the table- then you may have a table that was machined too short. Yes, if the top section of the tee is too short, it could -at least in theory- be an issue. Aside from nothing ever fitting right, the thinner top web won't be as strong as it should be. While it's uncommon except in abusive situations, tearing out the top web of a t slot is a fairly disastrous event (usually happens when someone uses a jack screw to push up on the web from below - a bad practice- rather than clamping the web between the tee nut and something on top of the table).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    I assume the 440 uses a standard 5/8 slot, which appears to be a Tormach standard. For what it's worth, T slots on my 1100: 1.270 wide at base, total depth 1.069. Top part of the slot (0.627 wide), 0.570-.590 deep. Can't find an actual spec for the slots from Tormach other than "standard 5/8" slot comment in the white paper on the 1100. If it's a standard slot, a standard dimension t nut should fit fine with no modification. My t slots are very consistent end to end, and the center slot is 0.627 in the throat full length of the table. Other two slots are slightly wider, 0.628.

Standard dimensions:
    https://www.engineersedge.com/hardwa...nuts_13508.htm
    American National Standard T-Slots ANSI/ASME B5.1M-1985

Measure it up, and ask Tormach if what you have is in spec. If standard nuts fit at the bottom, but are too tall- stick up above the table- then you may have a table that was machined too short. Yes, if the top section of the tee is too short, it could -at least in theory- be an issue. Aside from nothing ever fitting right, the thinner top web won't be as strong as it should be. While it's uncommon except in abusive situations, tearing out the top web of a t slot is a fairly disastrous event (usually happens when someone uses a jack screw to push up on the web from below - a bad practice- rather than clamping the web between the tee nut and something on top of the table).

Thank you tormach has photo of the t nut rise above table and should know is a day on the solutions they will offer.