PCNC 1100 - Minimum Door Width

Thread: PCNC 1100 - Minimum Door Width

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PCNC 1100 - Minimum Door Width

Would anyone here know what the minimum door size one can jockey a PCNC 1100 through? I plan to remove the control cabinet and column but would like to keep the base and table assembled if possible. I have a 32 inch glass patio door to get through. When I moved the machine in I took the patio door out. However, it is now winter time and would much prefer not to be removing doors if possible.

Thanks,
    Robert

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC 1100 - Minimum Door Width

I remember a bunch of posts on this from the early days. Sadly, the forum search engine is nearly useless. Anyway, for what it's worth, I vaguely recall that about 30" was the minimum with some maneuvering. There used to be a geometry calculator online; it was aimed at getting big computers and couches around corners. That might help if you can find it (I don't have a copy).

But, a thought. Since you're pulling the column and cabinet, remember that the base need not stay horizontal. I assume some prudent bracing would be required, but if it were suspended vertically using an engine hoist, I'd think that even a very narrow door could be negotiated. And the base does have those big hoisting holes, though another suspension point would also be required. I'd have some concern about stress on the ballscrews, so I'd probably try to lock down gibs, etc. If I were going so far as to pull column and cabinet, I'd probably just bite the bullet and pull the table, too. A couple more hours of reassembly beats a couple hours of maneuvering in the cold. For what that's worth.

Good luck with the move.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check the dimensions shown on the web site. You can take the Y axis stepper off. I had to snake mine under my deck stairs to get to my walkout basement. I made a full scale cardboard template of the side view and physically tried it out. The 770 is designed to pull the column off easy if the 1100 is to big. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

As @tmallard450 says check the Tormach dimensioned PDF but I was able to get an 1100 through 30-1/2: doorways with the Y stepper removed. I disassembled the mill into major assemblies, but if I remember correctly the major issue would be the depth of the base and possibly the height of the column including the Z stepper and wiring harness.

There are some pictures here of my process about 10 years ago with a Series 1. Check the linked pages,

Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Tormach has *long* had available extensive drawings showing how to move their mills through door openings of various widths. See the below document:
    https://www.tormach.com/uploads/10/D...eMove-pdf.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys..... I really appreciate your help!

Robert