Need Help! Seeking a universal pin vise to use on a 770 table

Thread: Seeking a universal pin vise to use on a 770 table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Seeking a universal pin vise to use on a 770 table

Awhile back I bought a universal pin vise for workholding many differently shaped metal pendants (engraving): Engraving Vise| Engraving Equipment Store | Vision Engraving & Routing Systems
    I've been using this vise with a 13"x13" tabletop rotary engraver but I am looking to upgrade to a 770 soon to increase production.

It's made out of plastic and aluminum.. even though it cost $400. I've been looking for a heavy duty version to use with a full-sized CNC mill but haven't found anything close to it. The pendants I cut out with a waterjet have odd shapes and are cut from harder metals such as 304 SS. Does anyone have a "universal" vise they could recommend for workholding small pieces of metal with unique shapes (no larger than 2"x2") ?

This setup works best for me since I prototype new designs constantly but I don't get custom fixtures machined until I know I'm going to need production. The universal vise makes it easy to throw a piece on and start engraving/cutting right away.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Seeking a universal pin vise to use on a 770 table

Sounds like a project for the new 770!

Looks pretty simple, and you've got one to copy. Just redimension if needed, or use the one you own. I don't follow your wish for "heavy duty". If you're doing roughly the same thing on the 770 as you are now, the forces on the cutter and work should be about the same. Within reason, as speeds and feeds may change some. But...if the vise is working now, try it. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I'd also suggest you look at a completely different approach. Hold your blank in a Wood's metal "vise", or use meltable/remeltable plastic (polycaprolactam if I recall correctly). Wood's metal and similar alloys are slick. Just build a cup out of steel or aluminum to hold it, diameter big enough to fit anything, external hold-downs as needed, and fill with the alloy. Heat to 100C, the alloy melts. Cool, it freezes AND EXPANDS (unlike almost all other alloys, which shrink on cooling). The expansion gets you a tight hold -works for milling & turning- as long as you don't take huge cuts. Melt to release. Infinitely reusable. I've got a 3" pot (and old spun stainless salt shaker base) that I use in the lathe for weird shapes. This is a common trick amongst the live-steam community, who need to bore/thread/mill odd shaped cast valves, for example.

PCL is similar, hold isn't as good, but it's handy for positioning if you have a way to hold tighter for machining.

Cerro carries these. Watch what you buy. Older ones contain cadmium and lead, and should be handled with awareness of those components (wash hands after handling, don't discard the alloy to a landfill, like that). That said, they're no less safe than, say, a fluorescent tube. Handle appropriately. You can pick the temperature you want, too. See what you can find surplus. These are not cheap alloys. Bismuth, indium, tin, etc make for an expensive purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads

This seems like something that could easily be done to a set of soft jaws. Then if you have a set design make a set of soft jaws just for them. use a quick change system from Carvesmart or Kurt both of which also have steel jaws that you could put the pins in too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick google image search of some examples.. kind of

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DWTK View Post
    Awhile back I bought a universal pin vise for workholding many differently shaped metal pendants (engraving): Engraving Vise| Engraving Equipment Store | Vision Engraving & Routing Systems
    I've been using this vise with a 13"x13" tabletop rotary engraver but I am looking to upgrade to a 770 soon to increase production.

It's made out of plastic and aluminum.. even though it cost $400. I've been looking for a heavy duty version to use with a full-sized CNC mill but haven't found anything close to it. The pendants I cut out with a waterjet have odd shapes and are cut from harder metals such as 304 SS. Does anyone have a "universal" vise they could recommend for workholding small pieces of metal with unique shapes (no larger than 2"x2") ?

This setup works best for me since I prototype new designs constantly but I don't get custom fixtures machined until I know I'm going to need production. The universal vise makes it easy to throw a piece on and start engraving/cutting right away.
    Here's one style that might be of help

https://www.cnctoolexpress.com/clamp...ic-vise-5.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Norton-BMW View Post
    Here's one style that might be of help

https://www.cnctoolexpress.com/clamp...ic-vise-5.html
    Awesome!! This looks killer, thanks for the recommendation.

And many thanks to everyone else for their suggestions as well! Looking forward to trying these ideas out..

Downloads
    Uploads

What about two sided tape aka carpet tape?

Tormach has a kit with the moldable plastic. Hit it with a hot air gun to reshape.You'll need a sub plate to keep the part flat.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31841
    and videos

https://www.tormach.com/blog/super-soft-jaws/

Last edited by cncoperator; 11-11-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is specialtwo-sided tape that is thinner than carpet tape. I use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QC48UU

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd think it would be quick to mill a pocket into a sheet of 7075, add a couple of tapped holes for small hold-downs in a non-engravable area. Probably not much slower than fussing with pins. A permanently mounted plate could hold a dozen designs, and work offsets would allow to choose which one to engrave upon.

Another thought is that vacuum holding should work well in this scenario.

Final thought, superglue to an aluminum plate, heat to release. Acetone cleanup. Worth testing to see if it'll work for you. Ventilate the fumes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk