Rotary Table vs. Super Spacer?

Thread: Rotary Table vs. Super Spacer?

Default Rotary Table vs. Super Spacer?

I'm looking into purchasing the 4th axis for my 770, because some new work may require it.
    So......
    What's the difference between the 6" Rotary Table, and the 6" Super Spacer?
    I tried to do a comparison on the TORMACH website, but I didn't see a HUGE difference.
    Both can be operated horizontally or vertically.
    Both come with kits.
    It appears that the Rotary mounts to the left, and the Super S. mounts to the right?
    Is that it?
    There's a $500 difference!
    $1395 for the Rotary Table kit
    $1895 for the Super Spacer kit

So, What am I missing here?
    What's the difference?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rotary Table vs. Super Spacer?

Two primary differences, the 6 inch Super Spacer comes with a rather nice 3 jaw chuck, and has a much larger through bore. The super spacer is a bit more compact also.

I built my 4th axis from a 6 inch Vertex Super Spacer. And mount it on the left, but it will go on either side.

The Tormach Super Spacer is identical to the Vertex. The specs don't say anything about it coming with the dividing plates, but it looks like it has the engagement lever. You don't really need them.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi - From memory the 6" rotary table comes with a smaller stepper motor, but that may not be a problem I am not sure.

Cliff

I have the Tormach 6" rotary table. While the stepper motor has proved adequate for my applications, other aspects of this model have not held up that well... After a year+ of pretty regular use, the shaft snapped off at the point where it exits the body of the motor; so I now have a new stepper motor.
    If you look in the "spare parts" section of Tormach's website, the 6" stepper motor pops up right near the top... motors for the other rotary tables do not. Hmmmm.
    I chose the 6" table for my 1100 because it is a lot lighter (and easier to change out) than the 8" version. In retrospect, I think I should have bought the 8" version, for increased durability....I still might do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Russ I think another difference is theres no oil reservior on the super spacers - only "point oilers" (I don't know the technical term for those little ball fittings to squirt oil in) you need to keep those oiled up in use. The rotary tables get filled with oil and if they are anything like my troyke rotab, the oil runs out at a pretty good clip, especially when the table rotates. IIR when I tore mine apart for cleaning and inspection there was no actual shaft seals. Just a felt strip in a groove under the table probably more for grit exclusion than anything else. The other difference is the manual tilt axis.

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 10" rotary table that was new but damaged, I repaired it and pumped it full of grease, it didnt have any seals in it either.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 if you don’t have an atc get the standard r-table with the oil reserve. It will probably last longer

QUOTE=Paul-JB;2112930]Russ I think another difference is theres no oil reservior on the super spacers - only "point oilers" (I don't know the technical term for those little ball fittings to squirt oil in) you need to keep those oiled up in use. The rotary tables get filled with oil and if they are anything like my troyke rotab, the oil runs out at a pretty good clip, especially when the table rotates. IIR when I tore mine apart for cleaning and inspection there was no actual shaft seals. Just a felt strip in a groove under the table probably more for grit exclusion than anything else. The other difference is the manual tilt axis.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 8" super spacer. Very heavy, big strong 4 jaw chuck, easy to setup accurately with keys. Not worried about oil other then it leaks out on table. Dont think it needs much oil or a reservoir as it does not go anywhere very fast . Just oil it now and then and keep it clean like all other tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

It’s not just the oil leaking but the ball zerts aren’t super robust. I’ve had to replace mine. With the oil reserve you have less worries & maintenance IMHO.

QUOTE=mountaindew;2113184]I have a 8" super spacer. Very heavy, big strong 4 jaw chuck, easy to setup accurately with keys. Not worried about oil other then it leaks out on table. Dont think it needs much oil or a reservoir as it does not go anywhere very fast . Just oil it now and then and keep it clean like all other tools.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    It’s not just the oil leaking but the ball zerts aren’t super robust. I’ve had to replace mine. With the oil reserve you have less worries & maintenance IMHO.

QUOTE=mountaindew;2113184]I have a 8" super spacer. Very heavy, big strong 4 jaw chuck, easy to setup accurately with keys. Not worried about oil other then it leaks out on table. Dont think it needs much oil or a reservoir as it does not go anywhere very fast . Just oil it now and then and keep it clean like all other tools.
    [/QUOTE]

True, Put some little steam punk style brass gravity feed oilers on my 4th axis and the mill could use a few now that im thinking of it

I enjoy the capability it adds to a my Tormach mill, especially with good cam software. Overall cost wise vers overall use in the shop. One of those fancy $3000.00 drill bit and tool sharpeners would get more overall use .