profiling deep finishing pass, chatter, please help - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: profiling deep finishing pass, chatter, please help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: profiling deep finishing pass, chatter, please help

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    If your getting pullout at only
    .005 of engagement, you have a drawbar problem probably causing the chatter.
    collet is clean and chamfered part of the collet lubricated per tormach's instructions on maintaining the spindle. spindle is nice and tight, its just a long tool which is prone to chatter and once it chatters it pulls out the spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DRWPrecision View Post
    TRP, My apologizes if I wasn't clear. The ratchet socket I mentioned drives the hex on top of the Drawbar....
    tormachs use a pneumatic draw bar with bevel washers, not a impact ratchet style drawbar.

what u mentioned i've seen on Bridgeport knee mills

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    40 IPM, 3500 RPM is way too fast.

When you approach the cut are you circling in or are you going straight in to the cut?

Can you describe the pocket you are cutting? Are there any corner radii or is it a round hole?
    its not a pocket, its an exterior profile. and yes there are corner radii but they are large enough for the cutter to sweep thru instead of making a large contact area and trying to dig into the corner

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    Definitely double check your PDB. I have mine set at 120 psi, and the tool 'just' barely comes out.

Also see Tormachs writeup on tool pull out and where to lube and where to keep clean.
    https://www.tormach.com/uploads/163/...1010A-pdf.html
    yes sir, all this has been addressed. I never have pull out issues UNLESS the tool chatters, its pretty much guaranteed to come out if the tool chatters. I only have tool chatter issues when I try to do a finish pass on a deep cut.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Sorry after a quick read through I cant see if you are using TTS or direct R8?

TTS with that much projection would be a bad idea - I assume you are direct R8?

Cheers Cliff
    i'm using TTS

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    If you have a PDB, pull the Bellville stack and look for cracked washers. That's a surefire recipe for chatter and TTS pullout.
    I have checked them but ill check again

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    With that size cutter and DOC you are pretty much on the limit of the ER20 TTS holder, even with all the tweaks and tricks. Every tooling system has its' limit and you found the TTSs'

What you should try is a ER40 collet holder with a an R8 shank. Also forget the PDB, use a manual and do it up tight. It works for me when profiling with a very big DOC.

Attachment 377518

Phil
    where did you purchase those tool holders? that would at the minimum eliminate my pull out issue. thank you

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TPR View Post
    where did you purchase those tool holders? that would at the minimum eliminate my pull out issue. thank you
    Just google - er40 r8 collet chuck -. You will also need a spanner and a few er40 collets.

Phil

PS: make sure you get one with the correct draw-bar thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can also just get a direct r8 set screw holder. I use a 1/2" one just for aggressive roughing with long hi helix end mills. Chatter or not, it's not pulling out. I can walk away in peace :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

You can also just get a direct r8 set screw holder. I use a 1/2" one just for aggressive roughing with long hi helix end mills. Chatter or not, it's not pulling out. I can walk away in peace :-)
    yes sir, already on order. thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never done 2” but have done a bit of 1.5” alu (clean up at 0.001) with a 3 flute Mari tool with 2.3” stick out and get a nice surface finish and never had the machine grown at me with that cut, would need to look at sprutcam for the speeds and feeds. The pull out is the major concern and agree with the others as the main area of investigation. The only time I have managed to pull out tools is when I have forgotten to clean the set screw holder and inside of the r8 collet, with alcohol and cut deep. (As I have to inhibit all tools after use, due rust problems on the coast) so they need to be cleaned prior to use.

But I also have the 770 so am lacking in the grunt side of things but find I stall before tool pull out.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently made some big parts and had to finish 3" deep. I used a 1/2" meri-tool reduced shank end mill. The flutest are .625" deep and tool stickout is 4" from the holder. I left .0 03" after roughing and finished using a helical boring cycle at 70 IPM 6000 rpm. Finish came out real nice

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently made some big parts and had to finish 3" deep. I used a 1/2" meri-tool reduced shank end mill. The flutest are .625" deep and tool stickout is 4" from the holder. I left .0 03" after roughing and finished using a helical boring cycle at 70 IPM 6000 rpm. Finish came out real nice
    Oh damn, I accidentally hit report post.... lol my bad.

I meant to say that's exactly how I finished it, 0.25" DOC passes but I want the cleaner look of a full DOC pass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12