tormach 440

Thread: tormach 440

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default tormach 440

just setup new 440 and endless troubles. bad usb cable, mouse button sticks, had to tap many holes to get screws to fit enclosure. Made 2 calls to support and 24 hours later no responce so I thought i would try forum. I power on 440, press reset. then Ref xyz. Z goes well but x and y do not. seems limit switches dont work but when I test switches they work fine. Any thoughts where to check?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: tormach 440

Does X and Y even move?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes X and Y move fine they just will not refrence. Whe I try they start and will not stop when they reach switches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Could be lose wires. When you say you tested them, do you mean you manually pushed them while it was referencing, and it stopped? Also, are you aware of the ability to set limits manually in Path Pilot? At least that would get you past this step.

Downloads
    Uploads

How are you homing the axis?
    I am not sure if there is a home all button or not, but I home each axis separately right beside the DRO's.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am still looking over the manual. I would loke to run the machine as per manual. I tested the switched as per setup by pushing the limit switched by hand and the indicators light. I am finding them machine operation is not as described. I did get a call but the tech said the door lock was the problem and he would send me terminal block IDs and would need to jump some wires. Its been 2 hours and no information was sent. There is no door lock so not sure why they would send me a machine that needed additional wireing. I spent $13,000 and and would think it included a needed jumper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am new to cnc and the path pilot so I am learning from the manual. I dont want to press any other buttons until I cover the steps.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you see the reference switch depressed? On an 1100 the reference switch is screwed to the casting and it’s a slotted hole so you can physically adjust the switch and tighten it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncbuilt View Post
    Can you see the reference switch depressed? On an 1100 the reference switch is screwed to the casting and it’s a slotted hole so you can physically adjust the switch and tighten it down.

I did more testig and found the X switch is not making contact each time. the front switch is also cracked and could be the problem. Its going to be a long spreading weekend waiting for a new part .

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep at it bob. The 440 is a new product and still has kinks and QA issues. Tormach will not leave you dry and has incredible support in addition to the fantastic community of support here on the zone. I know it can be frustrating looking at the money spent on this mill but I am very confident once it is running well you will love it and smile every time you power it up because the Tormach line of mills have the ability do just that for so many folks. Blessings!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncbuilt View Post
    Keep at it bob. The 440 is a new product and still has kinks and QA issues. Tormach will not leave you dry and has incredible support in addition to the fantastic community of support here on the zone. I know it can be frustrating looking at the money spent on this mill but I am very confident once it is running well you will love it and smile every time you power it up because the Tormach line of mills have the ability do just that for so many folks. Blessings!

My first impressions of Tormach before i bought the 440 was good but they left me hanging on a Friday night with a broken machine. Tech did call and said he would send terminal block diagrams to fix issue. No email was sent and no follow up call to confirm. We trouble shooted for hours and found the problem. The issuse had nothing to do with the tech explanation of the problem. I just hope this switch issue did not create a larger problem with the gears and motors. they aslo need to correct there manuals. There power down proceedure calls for press of Estop button and then a prompt from the pc to turn computer. this is not the way it works. There is no mention of press the Exit button (on screen) which is the proper shutdown of pc A newbe will follow the steps to A T, and when something is out of place we assume there is a problem as in my case.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should download the latest manual ...

https://www.tormach.com/documents.html

On page 28 it lists the correct power-down procedure...

1. Push in red E-stop button
    2. Click Exit on screen; when prompted click OK to power off
    3. Turn PathPilot Controller power strip off
    4. Turn Main Disconnect Off (see image at right)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post
    You should download the latest manual ...

https://www.tormach.com/documents.html

On page 28 it lists the correct power-down procedure...

1. Push in red E-stop button
    2. Click Exit on screen; when prompted click OK to power off
    3. Turn PathPilot Controller power strip off
    4. Turn Main Disconnect Off (see image at right)
    I assumed I would get the latest printed copy.... thank you for the tip from now on I will assume tormach puts most of its resources in to making a sale and not keeping up to date on its documentation it sends with new machines. I am frustrated right now and will wait for Tormach to contact me Monday. Thank you eveyone for the help the issue at hand has been resolved. If nothing else I found cnczone is a great place to get help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
    ...We trouble shooted for hours and found the problem. The issuse had nothing to do with the tech explanation of the problem...
    So just out of curiosity, and to possibly help someone who may read this in the future, what was the issue?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    So just out of curiosity, and to possibly help someone who may read this in the future, what was the issue?
    Bad switch on X, i first thought the error was on both x and y but turns out just X. Switch was cracked and worked half the time so the prpblem was intermittent which was difficult to diagnose.

Downloads
    Uploads

It is never a good time when a new machine has something broken. You have my sympathies on that.
    I have had good service from Tormach regarding some minor things with my Slant Pro.
    I always used email and received answers very quickly.
    You might try that route too if you haven't already.
    I think they will get you fixed up quickly though.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    It is never a good time when a new machine has something broken. You have my sympathies on that.
    I have had good service from Tormach regarding some minor things with my Slant Pro.
    I always used email and received answers very quickly.
    You might try that route too if you haven't already.
    I think they will get you fixed up quickly though.
    I tried both. Called early AM today its now 6pm and no return call. All I get is an answering machine and leave a message. I also emailed both contacts I have with message. I did my research and found support to be good but now I am not so sure. My boss approved had another order for Tormach for assessories for about $3k and when he found I have not got it the 440 working he cancelled the approval. It sucks I was hoping to start making parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. Definitely dropping the ball on this one.
    I would CC every email on this page.
    https://www.tormach.com/contact.html
    Let them know you need to be contacted about your issues. Fill out the form again with your machine serial number.
    Also, check your spam folder if you have one.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Yes. Definitely dropping the ball on this one.
    I would CC every email on this page.
    https://www.tormach.com/contact.html
    Let them know you need to be contacted about your issues. Fill out the form again with your machine serial number.
    Also, check your spam folder if you have one.
    We dont use span filters and I am 24/7 tied to the phone. however I did get an email reply that said I will be out of the office until 11/13
    thank you for the tip.