Newbie Tormach 770 - Minimum Starter Setup - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tormach 770 - Minimum Starter Setup

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 770 - Minimum Starter Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Viroos View Post
    Thanks, now I see.
    Another question: should I buy the dedicated 1280 x 1024 (4:3) monitor, or the Pathpilot will work on any other FullHD screen?
    I have mine on a cheap 22" 1920x1080 screen. Looks great.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am running my 770 on an Asus 16:9 HD monitor. When PP starts, it reverts to a default 1024 x 768 resolution so circles become ellipses but otherwise it runs OK.

RJ

Downloads
    Uploads

I ran a 16:9 its fine. I did upgrade to the tough screen that I bought from monoprice (19" for $180 on sale) and its REALLY nice, I didnt think it would make life that much easier but it really does.

The power drawbar is something I didnt get at first, $1200 is a good chunk of change, but it is an unbelievable time saver. I have some ops with 8+ tool changes! 2 min each , vs a few seconds each.. Its allowed me to get a lot more done in the limited free time I have

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to thank you all guys, today I ordered the machine, cannot wait to receive it and start making chips!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to thank you all guys, today I ordered the machine, cannot wait to receive it and start making chips!
    Congrats.

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats indeed.

Also want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. A really great starting point for me (a newbie who is also looking to get my first machine)

My question is regarding PathPilot Controller; I initially thought while looking at Tormach online store that PP Controller is just the software which runs the G-code (something like MACH3) but now i learned from this thread that the PP Controller code also include a PC. So can I cancel that from the order and expect they should send the PP software on DVD? And does it include includes Linux? So if i get a new cheaper option All-in-one PC with built in TouchScreen (comes with Windows 10) then this DVD can replace Windows and install PP? So i just need PCI board right?

I also like the idea of removing their stand and get a "Little Giant Table". Forgetting about the flood coolant and maybe go to the fog mister? Any input?

With these savings, then power drawbar can be bought.

Now about the 4" Axis, if the parts require milling from multiple sides, i assume this can be done manually but for those who have the 4th Axis, any input on the time vs money is highly appreciated (hobby and small quantity usage)

Thanks guys.

Ned

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by narrobb View Post
    My question is regarding PathPilot Controller; I initially thought while looking at Tormach online store that PP Controller is just the software which runs the G-code (something like MACH3) but now i learned from this thread that the PP Controller code also include a PC. So can I cancel that from the order and expect they should send the PP software on DVD? And does it include includes Linux? So if i get a new cheaper option All-in-one PC with built in TouchScreen (comes with Windows 10) then this DVD can replace Windows and install PP? So i just need PCI board right?

I also like the idea of removing their stand and get a "Little Giant Table". Forgetting about the flood coolant and maybe go to the fog mister? Any input?

With these savings, then power drawbar can be bought.

Now about the 4" Axis, if the parts require milling from multiple sides, i assume this can be done manually but for those who have the 4th Axis, any input on the time vs money is highly appreciated (hobby and small quantity usage)

Thanks guys.

Ned
    The "Controller" is the PC and Path Pilot is the software. People have used a different PC, but you have to buy the controller card and your PC must have a slot to install it in. One of the advantages of Path Pilot is that it uses a dedicated controller card to communicate to with the mill, and it also uses Linux instead of Windows, which allows it to avoid pauses caused by Windows. I haven't looked on my CD (Path Pilot came installed), so I don't know it it includes Linux.

You can certainly get by with the little giant table and fog buster. I wouldn't do it with flood.

I like what this guy did with an 1100 ...

Downloads
    Uploads

The install DVD includes Linux. Just boot from the DVD and everything is installed onto a virgin machine. I have a Tormach controller that came with my original order and had Mach3 installed. However, I've been running my 770 on a junque HP mid-tower machine. Order the install kit -- 5i25 card plus DVD -- and save a few dollars.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. Glad i asked, so these all-in-one touchscreen PCs wont work as normally no space to add extra cards.

Downloads
    Uploads

A PCI-E slot is required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by syscore View Post

I like what this guy did with an 1100 ...

There's a separate thread on 1100 fan and shroud; a kit was available from Nitewatchman.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here we go

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 - Minimum Starter Setup-tormach-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice!

Downloads
    Uploads

If the building with the red door is your workshop I hope that you are not as fat as I am!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bwahaha!
    I wish I had more space
    Also hope the floor won't collapse, feels pretty flimsy...

Downloads
    Uploads

Bwahaha!
    I wish I had more space
    Also hope the floor won't collapse, feels pretty flimsy...
    I got my 770 into a 49" width between 2 walls including custom enclosure. The X travel on the left needs a 'hinged letterbox' allowing it to go into the wall thickness (but no more). Most of the good ideas for the enclosure came from Cliff Hall - 'Threadexpress' on YouTube, 'Keen' on here, all of which were gratefully received and copied! I've been using it for over a year now, with no complaints about lack of space or accessability, but all my work is small enough to fit within the mill's envelope.

Cheers, Andy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tormach 770 - Minimum Starter Setup-img_0317-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's really tight!

Another question, just don't want to open another thread: the floor in the shed is pretty flimsy and the whole machine is shaking when the table is moving. Is it a problem, or the frame of the machine is rigid enough to keep the precision?
    Not really excited about removing the floor and pouring concrete instead...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that will be a problem. It doesn't take much lean to affect the cut by a few thou. At least on the 1100 that is how it is. It isn't the rigidity that is the issue as much as it is the weight. The slightest lean will cause a twist. I guess it depends on how much it shakes.

Another question, just don't want to open another thread: the floor in the shed is pretty flimsy and the whole machine is shaking when the table is moving. Is it a problem, or the frame of the machine is rigid enough to keep the precision?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd get a couple of lengths of box-section steel tube, say 50x50x5 thick and use them as bearers under the machine's feet. Make the length(s) around 2x (min) the width of the base and sit the machine in the middle. This will spread the load better on the wooden floor. Aim to have the bearers both level so as to not induce twist in the base of the machine. If the floor is boarded, try to orient the machine so the bearers are 90 degrees to the direction of the boards.

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The whole floor is shaking, I feel like this summer I gonna swallow a lot of concrete dust...

Is it OK to attach the fog buster container to the base under the chip tray, or it's too low?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast