questions about using wizards

Thread: questions about using wizards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default questions about using wizards

Hey guys, I use some of the wizards that came with my mach3 software on my 770. I was wondering if I can use a wizard to generate a g code and then be able to save it like a normal program. How do I go about doing this.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: questions about using wizards

Hmm. I've never tried to save the G-Code generated by the wizards. Don't see why you couldn't (I'm not in at my machine right now to try it). After using the wizard to generate the code click on Change G-Code, the code will pop up in an editing window and choose save as. Close the editing window and close the program in Mach3 and try loading the saved file.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same setup on my 770. Once you generate the G-code in the wizard app and it loads onto the Mach3 screen, you can click on the "Change G-Code" icon and it will open up that G-Code in a separate page of an editing software that is native to most windows based computers. From there you can copy it and paste it onto a separate storage file on your computer or a flash card of some sort.

Mine is an older version of Mach3 and windows so your Mach3 and windows computer may be slightly different. I'm mostly a Mac computer guy but I think that once you've clicked on the "Change G-Code" Icon and it opens up in that editing application you can also save it as plain text or some other format that works for you.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjrc View Post
    Hey guys, I use some of the wizards that came with my mach3 software on my 770. I was wondering if I can use a wizard to generate a g code and then be able to save it like a normal program. How do I go about doing this.
    Thanks
    Yep, no problem. At least, it wasn't on my 1100 when I was using M3. Did it all the time, still do with the NewFangled wizards for some uses where frankly they beat the Tormach supplied wizards. Post the code normally to the Tormach. Copy the post to a stick. Change the file extension to "txt". Edit away.... Or change the extension to whatever wacky extension your current cad/cam generater uses- they're all text files at base. Once you change the extension, the editor will "see" it and open it. Watch out for opening in Word or other similar products. Word processors, unlike simple text editors, add tons of illegible junk to the file (font codes, format codes, point size yadda yadda, all totally confusing to the M3 interpreter, which will totally toss it's limited cookies when it sees this junk). Basically a word processor trashes the file, easier to start over.

See above notes for better detail on saving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. I don't have any cam software, I write all my g code by hand except when using the wizards. I really need to get some cam software though, I want to learn it.