Tormach 440 Spindle Dead

Thread: Tormach 440 Spindle Dead

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 440 Spindle Dead

Today my spindle on 440 just stopped in the middle of the cut move... It did not stall, it was just moving between cuts when it stopped. No error in PathPilot... I restarted machine to see whether it comes back, but of course not. The controller on the back shows AL ER message, I assume its Alarm Error. Anyone knows what it could be? I have sent an email to Tormach but its going to be very slow process based on past experience. And as it always happens, I have parts I really must make :-(

Tormach 440 for me was total disappointment. I can't rely on this machine for any amount of work. This is in total contrast to Slant Pro with which I have made already thousands of parts, sometime I have it running for 8-10 hours a day just cutting, cutting, cutting. And most of this is in stainless... Never a single issue.

On 440 I haven't made maybe 300 parts total, most in acetal and it broke down twice during that time. Wish I bought something else.

Similar Threads:
    Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 440 Spindle Dead

I talked to Tormach, we did diagnostics and BLDC spindle controller seems to be burned out... Replacement is on the way and I'll post how replacement goes. Now I have replaced all major components in mill, Leadshine twice and now BLDC controller. I am wondering did anyone else have BLDC controller burn out.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Holy moly! I don't know WTH is the deal with BLDC spindle motors, but I have yet to see ANY mill using a BLDC motor where the BLDC motor did not, in short order, prove to be the Achilles heel of the entire machine. Over the last 10 years I've seen dozens of machines sold with BLDC motors, and I can't think of a single one where the motor and controller did not lead to the death of sales of the machine after numerous customers experienced controller failures, often numerous times. Why can't anyone get this right?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Holy moly! I don't know WTH is the deal with BLDC spindle motors, but I have yet to see ANY mill using a BLDC motor where the BLDC motor did not, in short order, prove to be the Achilles heel of the entire machine. Over the last 10 years I've seen dozens of machines sold with BLDC motors, and I can't think of a single one where the motor and controller did not lead to the death of sales of the machine after numerous customers experienced controller failures, often numerous times. Why can't anyone get this right?

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Perhaps its wrong motor for application. BLDC controllers should handle the overload situations and such in the controller, but I have seen them burn out elsewhere as well due to overload. I did not think about that when I bought 440 since I thought they have sorted it out. I don't know what I am going to do if it burns out again.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Any chance Tormach will help you get into a 770? Maybe you can work something out with them... you pay the price difference, they pay shipping to you, you pay shipping on the 440 back... something?

I can't believe they wouldn't like to go through your machine and see if there is something they can find as a common cause.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I received new BLDC controller and replaced it, pretty easy and fast to do. Mill is back up and running. New BLDC controller is definitely different, the motor sounds different and also it spins down much, much faster. I hope this lasts. I am really grateful Tormach support worked fast with me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    Any chance Tormach will help you get into a 770? Maybe you can work something out with them... you pay the price difference, they pay shipping to you, you pay shipping on the 440 back... something?

I can't believe they wouldn't like to go through your machine and see if there is something they can find as a common cause.
    I doubt it. If these things burn out again I will ask, can't hurt, but I highly doubt it. I should have gotten 770 anyways since I am bumping often to the 440 work envelope.

Dennis