Need Help! 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1100

Thread: 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1100

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1100

Hello,

I am currently looking at purchasing a new Tormach 1100 vs. a used Haas mill. I primarily work with 304 stainless steel and engrave detailed designs onto jewelry and sculptural pieces. I would really like the Tormach 1100 for the type of work I do (vs. having to repair a used machine) however I would like to create a test piece first to see how comfortable it is with 304 SS.

I have a 1.5”x1.5” piece of 304 stainless steel which is 3/32” thick. I will be throwing a 3D design together this week and I would love to have it machined out of this small pendant, using a Tormach 1100. I would also greatly appreciate if the settings/run-time are recorded for me.

To clear up any confusion,this is the sort of work I normally do with my Xenetech 1313 rotary engraver:

Regards,
    David

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1100-3-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1

I'm not sure the Tormach is really the right tool for doing that sort of work. The spindle on that model goes just a little more than 5000 rpm, which is fine for most milling tasks but not really enough for engraving. (The machine you're using now, by contrast, has a 20,000 rpm spindle). This speed is necessary for the very small tools used for jewelry engraving - many engraving spindles go quite a bit faster. You could use the Tormach if you fitted it with an auxiliary spindle, or used a "spindle speeder" to boost it into the engraving range, but otherwise I think you'll be disappointed with the results.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D engraving/milling, single part, 304 stainless steel – $ paid job for Tormach 1

I plan on upgrading to the high-speed spindle (30k RPM) although I suppose that will be even harder to find a Tormach owner, who already has that upgrade, who can help me make this part.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want a Tormach the 440 looks to be a better fit than the 1100, but it still caps out at 10,000 rpm.

Not sure where you are located, but they have a showroom and classes. You missed the annual open house. It is near Madison Wi.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toyshop View Post
    If you want a Tormach the 440 looks to be a better fit than the 1100, but it still caps out at 10,000 rpm.

Not sure where you are located, but they have a showroom and classes. You missed the annual open house. It is near Madison Wi.

Dave

I am located in North Carolina. I was told by a sales representative that I should probably choose the 1100 over the 770 since it would have more rigidness and weight. I really want to avoid buying a setup that isn't rigid enough to handle the sort of SS machining I want to accomplish. I still have issues using my Xenetech 1313 after pumping thousands of dollars into upgrades this past year. Technically it has a 20k RPM motor but I can't really get it above 14k without issues and even if I could.. it's just not rigid enough. It's only a 250+ pound machine; I'm sure any of the Tormachs will be a huge upgrade for me either way. As I mentioned in my other post I will be purchasing the high speed spindle if I get a Tormach.

EDIT: apparently only the 1100 has options for a high speed spindle: https://www.tormach.com/store/index....le&portrelay=1

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what Haas machine you are looking at but their new CM-1 to me looks like it would be ideal for your type of projects..... I wish I could afford one!

To me, spindle speed and coolant capabilities should be high on your check list. I have a PC1100 and don't think it would be the machine for you.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Not sure what Haas machine you are looking at but their new CM-1 to me looks like it would be ideal for your type of projects..... I wish I could afford one!

To me, spindle speed and coolant capabilities should be high on your check list. I have a PC1100 and don't think it would be the machine for you.

Robert
    The 1100 can be outfitted with a spindle capable of 25-30k RPM, as well as a misting or coolant system.

Downloads
    Uploads

The minimum speed on that spindle is 10,000 RPM so once installed you'd have to change it out between Ops. Tormach says that takes about 20 minutes.

Its also not compatible with the TTS system, so they recommend a tool setter. All in all you are looking at a $2600 addon for that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    The minimum speed on that spindle is 10,000 RPM so once installed you'd have to change it out between Ops. Tormach says that takes about 20 minutes.

Its also not compatible with the TTS system, so they recommend a tool setter. All in all you are looking at a $2600 addon for that.
    Right, however I am ok with that setup. 90% of my work is done with the same tool (ball nose) on the same material and I rarely ever run an engraving below 10k RPM. I'm making very detailed but light cuts. My actual parts are all cut out by a water jet I operate, so none of my parts will be machined from scratch. I will be using this mill mostly for 3D engraving on flat stainless steel blanks.

edit: I found someone willing to take on this job but I'd love to keep the conversation going if anyone else has further insight with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the Tormach water cooled hi-speed spindle and I am pleased with it. It is very quiet, at 10K rpms it is a very soft hum and has more power than a 1/8" end mill can absorb. Spindle will run down to a 1000 or so rpms (don't remember) for using an edge finder, etc. but I have never tried to cut in the range.

Downside is no TTS, no ATC, no PDB. The 20 minutes to change the spindle out is about right. On a good day I can do it is less. Tool setting is easy, I raise the cutter until I can slide a 1-2-3 block under it and punch in the z- height (1", 2" or 3") depending on the block side.

Don't know what your code and tooling is able to do but the spindle can handle about any thing you want with small cutters.

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

304 stainless? I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Now ask me how I really feel.

I would rather cut 718 inconel or 6AL4V titanium than 304 stainless steel.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I understand completely trust me, I've been cutting 304 for the past few years on a tabletop rotary engraver and it's been hell haha. Unfortunately for jewelry it's my favorite material to work with. Affordable, hypoallergenic, awesome finish, doesn't tarnish, etc. etc. I love being able to create something that could be thrown outdoors for a month yet still be the same afterwards. I looked far and wide for a company that makes 303 SS sheet, but no one does.

Downloads
    Uploads

303SS sheet:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#303-stainless-steel/=19orkk9

If McMaster sells it there must be plenty of other suppliers. Have you tried Alro?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    303SS sheet:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#303-stainless-steel/=19orkk9

If McMaster sells it there must be plenty of other suppliers. Have you tried Alro?
    I'm looking for a 3/32" thick sheet which is what I currently use to waterjet my pendants out of. Unfortunately the only 303 stock they have is smaller pieces (mostly bar stock). Arlo doesn't have any either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry - I din't stop to think that you would want large sheets for production waterjet parts.. You might try asking in the General section on www dot cnczone dot com - lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

For some reason CNCZone insists on replacing that sites url with its own. That's a bit childish.