Any Tormach owners With a DMG/Mori or Brother vmc here?

Thread: Any Tormach owners With a DMG/Mori or Brother vmc here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Any Tormach owners With a DMG/Mori or Brother vmc here?

It is a ways off but I am currently looking into one of these for the next machine.

I plan on keeping my Tormach but need a more capable production machine. Basically I am looking for the equivalent to my 1100 with atc/4th but much faster and reliable.

A few questions;
    - how did the transition go?
    - what machine do you have?
    - how has the reliability been?
    - what would you do differently if you were to order your machine today?
    - was financing easy?

I am going to need a 4th axis. Anyone have one in their machine? What where the costs like? If I go the with a Brother I will look at hooking up an after market indexer instead of a true 4th.

Any insights or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nathan

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by CadRhino; 09-21-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Default Re: Any Tormach owners With a DMG/Mori or Brother vmc here?

I don't have any experience with BROTHER mills, but I have ran DMG/MORI (Formerly Mori-Seiki) mills and lathes.
    They were the absolute BEST.
    Super-precise (.0001 easily), Japanese made, solid, fast, easy to use simple G-code controls.
    Great machines.
    I absolutely LOVED running Mori's.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Russ.
    That is the common response I hear about both Mori's and Brothers.
    I hope the DMG machines are as good as the old Mori Seiki ones.
    They sure aren't cheap but sound like they really hold up.

Best
    Nathan

QUOTE=RussMachine;2095472]I don't have any experience with BROTHER mills, but I have ran DMG/MORI (Formerly Mori-Seiki) mills and lathes.
    They were the absolute BEST.
    Super-precise (.0001 easily), Japanese made, solid, fast, easy to use simple G-code controls.
    Great machines.
    I absolutely LOVED running Mori's.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Any Tormach owners With a DMG/Mori or Brother vmc here?

I suspect you'll find, as many/most do, that once you start using a commercial machine, you'll never use the Tormach again. You'll get so used to the increased power and speed of the commercial machine, and the much better controls, and find using a lesser machine to be very inefficient. That's what's happened to me every time I've "upgraded" - I always thought I'd use the old machine for "second ops" and small jobs, but all the differences - different fixtures, different g-code, different setup procedures, different tooling - just made that so inefficient, I did everything on the new machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I suspect you'll find, as many/most do, that once you start using a commercial machine, you'll never use the Tormach again. You'll get so used to the increased power and speed of the commercial machine, and the much better controls, and find using a lesser machine to be very inefficient. That's what's happened to me every time I've "upgraded" - I always thought I'd use the old machine for "second ops" and small jobs, but all the differences - different fixtures, different g-code, different setup procedures, different tooling - just made that so inefficient, I did everything on the new machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Yep. Exactly this.

I bought a Haas TM2P which isn't THAT much faster than a Tormach on spindle but my 1100 still sat unused for most of a year before I finally sold it. I needed something faster and bought an OM2A with 30K spindle... Not rigid enough so I have a Brother S700x1 arriving TOMORROW! :-D

The financing was dead simple this time since I've been in business for 7 years. I made first and last payments. 50 more payments and it's done. I think the whole thing too less than 10 emails. Couple one page forms. No tax docs, bank statements, nothing. Awesome broker.

I can't attest to the awesomeness of my Brother yet but can't wait to play. I got the 700 with 27K spindle and the Pico Blum tool setter for micro tooling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your feedback, Ray.
    I have like $30k in my Tormach and I will never recover that.
    I am keeping it to run 'down-and-dirty' parts and as a replacement to having a manual milling machine around.
    I run some really long parts and like how the simple shower enclosure on my 1100 lets me fit really funky shaped parts in it.
    It is great for one-offs.

-Nathan

QUOTE=SCzEngrgGroup;2095486]I suspect you'll find, as many/most do, that once you start using a commercial machine, you'll never use the Tormach again. You'll get so used to the increased power and speed of the commercial machine, and the much better controls, and find using a lesser machine to be very inefficient. That's what's happened to me every time I've "upgraded" - I always thought I'd use the old machine for "second ops" and small jobs, but all the differences - different fixtures, different g-code, different setup procedures, different tooling - just made that so inefficient, I did everything on the new machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.[/QUOTE]