Short cycle time job, lots of parts - Anyone leave spindle running?

Thread: Short cycle time job, lots of parts - Anyone leave spindle running?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Short cycle time job, lots of parts - Anyone leave spindle running?

This morning I had an easy 1 op, 3 pass job to do on 50 pieces. Before May of this year, I would have done this on my old manual Burke mill and left the spindle running the whole time.
    So, after a few editing trials I accomplished this on the Tormach by removing the M5 and M30 from the program. Worked great, however, the actual job cycle time was only 20 seconds and I noticed PathPilot waited 8 seconds ramping the RPM up on screen (even though the spindle was already at full chat) before proceeding with the initial Z plunge after each cycle start. So, it could have been a 12 second cycle or 40% of the total job time waiting on phantom spindle ramp-up time. Anyone work around these time losses on large, short cycle jobs? Maybe there's a more elegant way to accomplish what I wanted?
    Safety, lawyers, dismemberment, I know....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Short cycle time job, lots of parts - Anyone leave spindle running?

Why on earth does it waste time ramping RPM? Every machine I've owned would get up to max RPM (6000-8200 RPM) in well under a second. They would all stop almost as fast.

Personally, I think doing ANYTHING while the spindle is running is just begging for injury. I don't even like having a tool in the spindle with the spindle off when I'm re-loading a fixture.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I asked Tormach about it a while back and they said something like the delay wasn't variable by speed as some sort of LinuxCNC limitation and thus set to make sure it wouldn't be a problem for max speeds. Also they wanted to make sure coolant was actually flowing onto the part to avoid wadding up end mills with aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post
    This morning I had an easy 1 op, 3 pass job to do on 50 pieces. Before May of this year, I would have done this on my old manual Burke mill and left the spindle running the whole time.
    So, after a few editing trials I accomplished this on the Tormach by removing the M5 and M30 from the program. Worked great, however, the actual job cycle time was only 20 seconds and I noticed PathPilot waited 8 seconds ramping the RPM up on screen (even though the spindle was already at full chat) before proceeding with the initial Z plunge after each cycle start. So, it could have been a 12 second cycle or 40% of the total job time waiting on phantom spindle ramp-up time. Anyone work around these time losses on large, short cycle jobs? Maybe there's a more elegant way to accomplish what I wanted?
    I had that problem on a conversational facing op, turns out that the spindle delay to full rpm was set to 5+ seconds in the .ini file, I changed it to 2.5; and all was good.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I'll look at it from the safety angle. Rotating spindles are dangerous. One wrong move and you touch the spindle you get hurt. A moment of inattention and there is blood. I would figure out how to adjust the ramp up speed of the spindle and do that. A couple of seconds waiting is a lot better than having skin and bone removed by an end mill. I'm not a big safety guy but I had an incident with nitrile gloves and an air drill years ago. It was a painful bloody lesson I will not repeat.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 74BurkeMVN View Post

I changed line # 145 to 2.4 seconds.
    This file is modified to my liking, but changes to the seconds entry in line 145 is what I did to speed up the spindle ramp up time for a facing op in conversational, it has been a year or so but this is to the best of my recollection.

This file is tormach_1100-3.ini that needs the mod

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Short cycle time job, lots of parts - Anyone leave spindle running?-spindle-rpm-ramp-jpg  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Any time you program a M1 or an M0 the spindle is going to stop.

You don't need to program M5, M30 to stop the spindle. Once the control sees M30 (program end, reset) all function for that program is turned off and the program resets to the beginning.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I changed line # 145 to 2.4 seconds.
    This file is modified to my liking, but changes to the seconds entry in line 145 is what I did to speed up the spindle ramp up time for a facing op in conversational, it has been a year or so but this is to the best of my recollection.

This file is tormach_1100-3.ini that needs the mod

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Why on earth does it waste time ramping RPM? Every machine I've owned would get up to max RPM (6000-8200 RPM) in well under a second. They would all stop almost as fast.

Personally, I think doing ANYTHING while the spindle is running is just begging for injury. I don't even like having a tool in the spindle with the spindle off when I'm re-loading a fixture.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray's right. It only takes a few seconds for the spindle to start and I like all my fingers right where they are.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.