Question About Post Processors

Thread: Question About Post Processors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question About Post Processors

My question is about lists of reference machines that may be included in the various CAM software that's being used in CNC milling. I use SprutCam, mainly because it came with the package I bought my mill in. Anyway, the SprutCam software came with only one Tormach Post Processor titled or listed as a Tormach 1100 post processor.

I don't now that much about post processors. I don't know how they work or how they are set up but, since the post processor I've been using is titled for use with a Tormach 1100 mill (a mill larger and slightly more powerful than my particular Tormach) and I'm using a slightly less powerful 770 model, will this make any difference when it comes to the manner in which tool paths are generated in a lesser powered or greater powered CNC mill manufactured under the same label?

Are the post processors made for specific individual models or are they the same across the board for all CNC mills with the Tormach brand name on them? I ask because some of the tool paths that have been generated using the single post Processor that came with the SprutCam software sure does some screwy things sometimes. By, "Screwy Things" I mean, time wasting movements that I may be able to correct within the various setup pages of SprutCam but I don't correct them cause I don't know how. In the end, the parts generally come out as I'd hoped but I was just trying to figure out why or how SprutCam comes up with what look to be un- necessary movements as a part of the overall tool paths it generates for me.

So, I wondered if a post processor is supposed to be specific to the machine or specific to the brand name? Would a Tormach 1100 CNC mill's post processor generate tool paths that would be even slightly different from a Tormach 770 CNC mill specific tool paths? Just wondering.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question About Post Processors

The answer is "yes", "no", and "maybe". In other words, there is no one correct answer.

For the most part, the POST formats the g-code, and little more. As far as actual generation of toolpaths, that is typically outside the purview of the POST. The POST is mostly a means of allowing a given CAM package to deal with the idiosyncracies of the g-code (and other language) implementations on various machines. Some common operations, like toolchanges, require slightly different handling on different machines, and the POST deals with those. Inserting the M998 that is required by the Tormach toolchangers is but one example. With some CAM programs, the POST can actually control whether the final output is g-code, or something entirely different, like the proprietary language used on ShopBot CNC routers.

WHAT the POST has control over varies radically from one CAM application to another. With some, like BobCAM, the user CANNOT create a custom POST at all, but must contract with BobCAD to create one, if they don't already have what you need. Some, like VisualMill, give the user only very limited control over what can be changed, by enabling and disabling various optional features. Some, most notably HSMWorks/FusionCAM, give the user total control over pretty much everything. Some are written in proprietary scripting languages, while others, like HSMWorks/Fusion, use industry-standard javascript.

Bottom line, POST requirements will, more often than not, be different for, at a minimum, every manufacturers machines, and sometimes from machine-to-machine within a given manufacturers line. They will be radically different from one CAM system to another. And, it may even vary from one user to another on any given machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

For some reason tormach's site is broken for me right now. but here are all the current post processors
    https://www.tormach.com/software-post-processor.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joshetect View Post
    For some reason tormach's site is broken for me right now. but here are all the current post processors
    https://www.tormach.com/software-post-processor.html
    I should have thought to look on the Tormach site for answers but as usual, I didn't. I did take a quick look at the link and noticed that versions 8,9 and 10 are listed as the latest "Tormach Only" Post Processors. Does this mean that this new upgraded post will not work on my antiquated version 7 SprutCam?

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

I use GibbsCam to program my machine. The post processor I use is for a Kitimura with a Fanuc 6M control. I make a few edits at the tool change and start up blocks to make it run exactly the way "I" want it to run and it has never let me down.

I don't have an AYC so I still have to change tools manually.