Suggestions for fixturing a lot of round parts - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for fixturing a lot of round parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for fixturing a lot of round parts

When I make parts this size, I'll make 2 MiteeBite fixtures then I can have one in the machine running and one on the bench being loaded.

I make a lot of parts for gas powered model boats so running 2 or 4 parts at a time makes sense.

I have a PCNC 1100 with 1 6 inch, 2 5 inch or 3 4 inch vises on it, and I love the commute, it's in my garage. And I just added air conditioning in the garage.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for fixturing a lot of round parts

If two vises are allowed, then I wouldn't use the V-blocks. I was under the impression that he was only using one vise.

I'd still do the 2 pieces of 3" wide bar stock cut to 3" lengths. I'd also still use 5/8" thick stock. The first vise would hold these, one on each side of the vise. Throughout the run, this vise never changes regardless of diameter.

The second vise would start with softjaws cut to hold two of the smallest diameter circles. Run 7 times and then cut the pockets to the next diameter up. Repeat until all are done. If you do end up making two more signs, replace the second vise softjaws, but run everything 14 times before re-machining new circular pockets. The first vise would get no changes.

The reason I would do it like that is I like to put new stock on, and take finished parts off each time I open the door.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

See my post a few weeks ago about making a fixture with (3) 6" 3-jaw chucks. I highly recommend it. You can basically change the diameters without any new fixturing. Coupled with soft jays you could machine just about anything round.

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    One sign consists of 84 pieces . Will definitely make one sign, depending on how it turns out, might be demand for two more copies.

This is paid, so I can pass fixture costs along, but still prefer to keep them low and/or reusable for other jobs. If it was 5-10 pieces I'd do it in the vise, but at this quantity I've found fixtures that pile on the parts really save time, especially if there are tool changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12