Tormach Bandsaw

Thread: Tormach Bandsaw

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach Bandsaw

An email came today from Tormach announcing a soon to be released AF50 bandsaw with auto stock feeding. Coincidentally I have been considering replacing my current saw (Ramco RS-90P) so seeing this today was of great interest. No Pricing yet that I could find but the auto stock feed part caught my attention. That is a very cool feature. Most saws have some sort if controlled descent cylinder on the cutting head but to actually feed the stock- that I haven't seen on small home shop size machines. We have an Amada HA-250 auto feeder at work that feeds stock but that is in a completely different league both size and price.

My short list of possible replacement saws so far are
    Kama EV-996 manual down feed.
    $3,400
    Kama EV-97 hydraulic power down feed.
    $4,500
    We have an EV-97 at work about 15 years now and it's been an awesome little machine. Very compact foot print and wheels around as needed. The power down feed is really nice too but $1k more makes it a tough add.

Ellis 1600 manual down feed.
    $3,000. Nice looking and good reviews but my issue with the Ellis is its a bit bulky- primarily why I want to sell the Ramco.

All of these are about $1,000 too rich for my budget. At least in my mind at the momentTormach Bandsaw

Will be curious to learn more about the Tormach saw and where it comes in price wise.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach Bandsaw

There was a thread here recently about the saw being demoed at Tormach's recent Workshop and rumor has it that Tormach is suggesting that the price may come in at $5k or a bit more.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...w-product.html

Downloads
    Uploads

One metal supplier I go to has 5 Ellis bandsaws. They are six years old and used all day long.

I would get one but due to limited space I need to find a high quality 4"x6" bandsaw.

Anyone know of a good brand/model?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-JB View Post
    An email came today from Tormach announcing a soon to be released AF50 bandsaw with auto stock feeding. Coincidentally I have been considering replacing my current saw (Ramco RS-90P) so seeing this today was of great interest. No Pricing yet that I could find but the auto stock feed part caught my attention. That is a very cool feature. Most saws have some sort if controlled descent cylinder on the cutting head but to actually feed the stock- that I haven't seen on small home shop size machines. We have an Amada HA-250 auto feeder at work that feeds stock but that is in a completely different league both size and price.

My short list of possible replacement saws so far are
    Kama EV-996 manual down feed.
    $3,400
    Kama EV-97 hydraulic power down feed.
    $4,500
    We have an EV-97 at work about 15 years now and it's been an awesome little machine. Very compact foot print and wheels around as needed. The power down feed is really nice too but $1k more makes it a tough add.

Ellis 1600 manual down feed.
    $3,000. Nice looking and good reviews but my issue with the Ellis is its a bit bulky- primarily why I want to sell the Ramco.

All of these are about $1,000 too rich for my budget. At least in my mind at the momentTormach Bandsaw

Will be curious to learn more about the Tormach saw and where it comes in price wise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    One metal supplier I go to has 5 Ellis bandsaws. They are six years old and used all day long.

I would get one but due to limited space I need to find a high quality 4"x6" bandsaw.

Anyone know of a good brand/model?
    Thanks
    I have a Harbor-Freight 4x6 I've been using a LOT for nearly 20 years. It cuts dead straight, and was dirt cheap. Zero complaints, given that it cost all of about $200. It ain't pretty, but it sure gets the job done. For bigger work, I have a "Carolina" bandsaw I bought for $100, barely used. Once tuned up, and fed a good Lenox bi-metal variable-pitch blade (for all of about $35), it'll cut through anything.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on what Ray said on the HF 4x6....... I owned mine for about 10 years, best $125 I have spent on tools. A little tune up, a good blade and you are good to go.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Got mine at Northern tool for $1000. I needed to cut 12" alu plate. I've also cut 3" 304ss round bar. Had it a couple years. No complaints. .

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever seen a Roll-In vertical bandsaw? The saw gravity feeds through the stock. They are quite versatile with a good capacity and reasonable footprint. New they are more than you are willing to spend but can be had used for a good price. There are several companies who make similar saws.

Vertical Band Saw for Cutting Metal, Plastic and Wood - Roll-In Saw Model EF1459

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I just don't know if the Baileigh brand is any good?
    Try a search on cnczone.com - the members there are not shy about opinions.and I think that they have a Baleigh forum section.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm getting one, the auto feed feature is a win. Standing in front of the saw cutting 12ft stock into 1.5-5" pieces is a pain in the ass. Can't wait. Bring on the automation.

RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, ATC, 4th

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the accuracy of the cuts!
    I use a cold saw for most of my cutting and only use a bandsaw for large stick that I will clean up on the milling machine.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I'm getting one, the auto feed feature is a win. Standing in front of the saw cutting 12ft stock into 1.5-5" pieces is a pain in the ass. Can't wait. Bring on the automation.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    Thanks

Yeah, I remember those things. Interesting idea but they have some ergonomic problems with long stock, especially when doing angle cuts. Because the table holding the stock moves that means the end of your stock, sometime 20’ out, is moving also. It gets worse when doing angle cuts.
    I agree with what you posted regarding angle cuts on long stock. It is awkward when you have to swing stock around.

Just so someone reading this in the future doesn't get the wrong idea I just want to clarify that the table on a Roll-In band saw is fixed. The saw moves into the work.

bob