Spindle Bearings - Replace or Clean and Reinstall

Thread: Spindle Bearings - Replace or Clean and Reinstall

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Bearings - Replace or Clean and Reinstall

Hey folks,

Just installed my new spindle cartridge. Thought I was having some issues with the bearings due to some noise and heat (125 degree - 5 minutes - 5,000 RPM). Due to time constraints I opted to just go with a new spindle cartridge and to keep the old one as a back up after I service it. Once I got it out and cleaned up I noticed that it felt pretty good. Only a slight bit of difference in feel from the new one. So.... my thoughts are to press out the R8 shaft, press the bearings out, clean, repack and reinstall them. Seen on here where some folks have done that. Just wanted to see what others thought? Seems crazy to spend another $200 on bearings if these just need cleaning and re-lube. The bearings have less than 500 hours on them, probably more like 250 hours.

Thanks,
    Awall

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Bearings - Replace or Clean and Reinstall

If the only issue is the spindle was running hot, the problem is almost certainly incorrect pre-load, not lack of lubrication. Most likely, all that's needed is proper adjustment. I would see no reason to suspect full disassembly and cleaning was necessary.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    If the only issue is the spindle was running hot, the problem is almost certainly incorrect pre-load, not lack of lubrication. Most likely, all that's needed is proper adjustment. I would see no reason to suspect full disassembly and cleaning was necessary.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    There was a little bit of "noise" that I started to hear. Slight bit of squeal, along with the heat - 130 degree or so.

Interesting to note.... did the whole bearing break-in thing, 250 RPM - 10 minutes, 500 RPM - 10 minutes and so on up to 5,000 RPM. No noise but the spindle did get up to 128 degree at the end. Measured the temp with masking tape on the spindle to cut down on reflective error. Is it possible the preload could be too tight? When I ask Tormach before I purchased the whole spindle, they assured me that the preload would be set and this would be a plug and play install......

Downloads
    Uploads

130F max temp is NOT a problem. A "squeal" is most likely not the bearings, but the belt or something else. If the spindle feels smooth when turned by hand, it is very likely ok. I would do a lot more testing before tearing into it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

130F max temp is NOT a problem. A "squeal" is most likely not the bearings, but the belt or something else. If the spindle feels smooth when turned by hand, it is very likely ok. I would do a lot more testing before tearing into it.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Hummmm, me wishes I'd posted this "before" spending $565 on a new spindle. Well, at least I have a spare backup for that 2:30am on Sundaywith the project due Monday at 8am. I think I'll bag it up and set it on the shelf then.

Thanks for the advise Ray!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Hummmm, me wishes I'd posted this "before" spending $565 on a new spindle. Well, at least I have a spare backup for that 2:30am on Sundaywith the project due Monday at 8am. I think I'll bag it up and set it on the shelf then.

Thanks for the advise Ray!
    Tormach says that 155F (or 180F, if you believe Greg Jackson) is OK. Depends on which release of the maintenance note you read, but 130 is clearly within spec. And, yes, the determining factor is preload and greasing. My original bearing barely hit 80F after hours at 5800 rpm. I replaced a lower set, not because the bearings were bad, and now hit around 120. I'm pretty sure my preload was low in the first case.

I would not touch the original spindle. I think you've simply got a spare now.

(Alternatively-there's a thread here with reco's for higher speed bearings- maybe rebuild the old spindle with better bearings and get a higher speed option?)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Tormach says that 155F (or 180F, if you believe Greg Jackson) is OK. Depends on which release of the maintenance note you read, but 130 is clearly within spec. And, yes, the determining factor is preload and greasing. My original bearing barely hit 80F after hours at 5800 rpm. I replaced a lower set, not because the bearings were bad, and now hit around 120. I'm pretty sure my preload was low in the first case.

I would not touch the original spindle. I think you've simply got a spare now.

(Alternatively-there's a thread here with reco's for higher speed bearings- maybe rebuild the old spindle with better bearings and get a higher speed option?)

My spindle has always ran cool since new, barely above room temperature, over 5 years old now and I havent noticed any problems with it.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I have to agree with Ray. There's probably no need to tear the spindle down.

I had a service guy tell me a long time ago that the biggest reason for excessive heat is "too much grease".

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.