Video 4th AXIS SET UP AND RUN PARTS - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4th AXIS SET UP AND RUN PARTS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4th AXIS SET UP AND RUN PARTS

Hi Spumco - most appreciated. Yes I am in G54. Today I tried G10 L20 P1 A0 at the start of the code and it worked a treat.

I only half understand this stuff - but now I know what to do! The A reset from A270 at program end, to A0 at program start.

Thanks for your input. Cheers Cliff

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I tried to get the hal sensor to work on my super spacer and path pilot. It seems to work but I think my sprutcam code still unwinds the axis and as mentioned above it takes time.
    Need to do a little snooping and hacking now that I read tsteps post.

BTW Keen you make some nice looking parts . I need to add a electronic probe system to my crib. Just looks like a fun tool to use and impress the neighbors.
    Adding to this discussion I use a 5c collet holder in my 8" super spacer chuck for small parts. Holds the material away from 8" chuck, very rigid and when I sweep the faces / edges of material or part they align well and easy to adjust. That said a tormach 5c 4th axis holder would be the best solution if its easy to align on face plate.
    Thanks - Yes I should get a 5C holder of some type also. Cheers Cliff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks - Yes I should get a 5C holder of some type also. Cheers Cliff
    Mentioned this because 5c or any collet and holder combo is my favorite part / material / tool holding system. I find I can load material into a 5c / holder and have my way with it on both a 4th axis and a vise on the table at same time. Start with vise and do vertical machine operations then slide into jaws on 4th axis with work stop to repeat and perform all the rotary operations then move back to vise for cut off or other ops. Setup all the offsets one time for first part then repeat for as many as I want make

Side note
    In the past looking at pictures of machine shops and walking thru a few. I always wondered why some had hundreds of collets and sets of different sizes. I always figured it was to hold different tools. I understand now I have 2 sets of holders, 2 sets of the same size common collets and drawers full of other sizes and shapes and even a few soft collets like soft jaws

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=keen;2081006]
    Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    You can. just type in 'G0A0' in the DRO and the 4th will return to zero. Thanks

Thanks for posting CR - But if you type in G0A0 it just commands the A axis to mechanically wind to that point? I mean I want a auto 'software position' conversion in the code. Cheers Cliff
    I suspect that he meant to set the A-axis DRO to zero rather than entering g0a0 in the MDI window. Here g0a0 unwinds while setting A-axis to 0.000 completes instantly. I have not yet tried steps suggestion. Note that the unwind problem is not specific to spurt but occurs with hand coded programs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    G10 L2 P1 A0
    G0 A0

If you are working the part in G55, then the P-number will be "2"
    The parameter #5220 (see my earlier post) represents the current coordinate system so the following line will be valid irrespective of the coordinate system in use:
    G10 L20 P[#5220] A0
    Once this has been called PathPilot will believe it's already at A0 so there's no need to call G0 A0 afterwards.
    Step

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Step,

I thought that might be the case, but I don't know PP and I figured if Cliff was testing it and my suggested G10 L20 xxxx didn't work for some reason he'd see the A-axis move at the G0 line. That would have been a good indicator that all was not well.

Now that it's proven to work as he wants, Cliff can forego the superfluous G0 A0 block for 'real' programs.

Your code is obviously more elegant than having to pick a particular coordinate system, but it's possible that Cliff didn't know or recognize the parameter #5220 (neither did I!) and assumed that was something specific for your system. I know I didn't have a clue what it meant.

Thank you. I'm constantly - pleasantly - reminded why I lurk in the Tormach forum despite not having a Tormach or even using PathPilot.

-S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12