Table mounted 3-jaw chuck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Table mounted 3-jaw chuck

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Table mounted 3-jaw chuck

I have a Tormach 8" and th axis with both a 3 & 4-jaw chuck with base plate.
    I use my 3-jaw all the time on my 4th axis.
    I want to ge a new 3-jaw to mount on my table to Machine round parts.
    I want to keep my current 3-jaw on my 4th axis.
    Any suggestions on what chuck to get and how to mount it?
    I like the base plates on the Tormach 4-axis 3-Jaws but they cost $350.
    Also, dose anyone know if she could re-use my 4- jaw Tormach base plate with a 3-jaw?
    I like clamping the chuck down to the table using the wider base plate.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Table mounted 3-jaw chuck

When using a chuck on the table I secure it with a pair of strap clamps, step blocks and studs. Perhaps not elegant looking but it costs nothing since it uses stuff that I already have.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply
    I have used that quick and dirty method but I am going to be machining close se to the face and fear the cosmos will get in the way.
    I like the extended base plate on the tormach but it is $350.
    Maybe I need to just by a 3-jaw and machine a base plate with countersunk screws on the bottom of base plate. Then I could lock it down with t-nuts.
    Anyone done this?
    I will try to reuse my tormach 4-jaw base plate first if I can.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    When using a chuck on the table I secure it with a pair of strap clamps, step blocks and studs. Perhaps not elegant looking but it costs nothing since it uses stuff that I already have.
    t

Downloads
    Uploads

Just face the sides in a small piece of aluminum plate and drill/mill the necessary holes. Secure it to the table with four counterbored SHCS and T-nuts. Most chuck manufacturers provide info on the spacing of the mounting holes. You don't need anything fancy or even accurately made. A simple base certainly isn't worth $350!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a set of custom soft jaws that provide a little more clearance. I have a self centering 6 jaw chuck that I use all the time and just leave it mounted alongside the vice. I have the jaws modeled in Fusion 360 if you want a copy.

I know some of you always say "and yes, my Tormach is always this clean, well, yes my Tormach is always this full of chips as I use it all the time."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Table mounted 3-jaw chuck-20170725_093946-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have two 3-jaw chuck fixtures - one with a single chuck, another with 4 chucks. They are among my most-used generic fixtures. Both are just a chunk of 6061 1"x 6" of appropriate length The chucks are bolted to the plates from the bottom, as most small chucks have 3 mounting holes drilled and tapped on their back sides. The plates are machined so the front and left edges are a known distance from the center of the first chuck (3" in both cases), so I can mount the plate to the table, or in a vise, set the fixture offset to the left-front-top corner of the fixture, and go to work.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

How big is the round stock you plan to machine? I have a 3 jaw chuck but rarely use it since most of what I do is 1" or less, and a 5C collet holder is quicker and easier to toss into my vise. It also gives me the option to hold the stock horizontal which is tough to do with my 3 jaw chuck.

Just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KSky View Post
    I have a set of custom soft jaws that provide a little more clearance. I have a self centering 6 jaw chuck that I use all the time and just leave it mounted alongside the vice. I have the jaws modeled in Fusion 360 if you want a copy.

I know some of you always say "and yes, my Tormach is always this clean, well, yes my Tormach is always this full of chips as I use it all the time."
    I quite agree!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I might go this direction.
    Thanks for the input.
    How did you locate the mounting holes in back of your chuck(S)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    I have two 3-jaw chuck fixtures - one with a single chuck, another with 4 chucks. They are among my most-used generic fixtures. Both are just a chunk of 6061 1"x 6" of appropriate length The chucks are bolted to the plates from the bottom, as most small chucks have 3 mounting holes drilled and tapped on their back sides. The plates are machined so the front and left edges are a known distance from the center of the first chuck (3" in both cases), so I can mount the plate to the table, or in a vise, set the fixture offset to the left-front-top corner of the fixture, and go to work.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

The stock i mill is 2" to 6"

Here is one I found;

http://m.ebay.com/itm/The-adapter-and-3-jaw-chuck-for-mounting-on-a-8-rotary-table-/172140866369?hash=item2814652b41%3Am%3AmXxmXpQ-pqycp7xQ87adntg&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad9d4b683-71a8-11e7-ae56-74dbd180dc38%257Cparentrq%253A7cb11bb315d0aa66e7d6 c2e2ffffdab2%257Ciid%253A2

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I quite agree!

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way, what are some decent priced quality 6" 3-jaw chucks folks recommend?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    The stock i mill is 2" to 6"

Here is one I found;

http://m.ebay.com/itm/The-adapter-and-3-jaw-chuck-for-mounting-on-a-8-rotary-table-/172140866369?hash=item2814652b41%3Am%3AmXxmXpQ-pqycp7xQ87adntg&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad9d4b683-71a8-11e7-ae56-74dbd180dc38%257Cparentrq%253A7cb11bb315d0aa66e7d6 c2e2ffffdab2%257Ciid%253A2

Downloads
    Uploads

I might go this direction.
    Thanks for the input.
    How did you locate the mounting holes in back of your chuck(S)
    Thanks
    Just measured... Pay attention to where the the holes for the chuck key end up. Mine all point to the front, and I made an extended key wrench to make it easier to access them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    What brand chucks did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Just measured... Pay attention to where the the holes for the chuck key end up. Mine all point to the front, and I made an extended key wrench to make it easier to access them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    I hAve a similar setup to Ray. I used a 1" thick square of Mic-6 with 6" Bison chuck. I usually drop it in the vise, but it can be bolted directly to the table. I put broken 1/2" end mill with the back end facing up to locate the center of the chuck/wcs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip on locating center.
    What us mic-6?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    I hAve a similar setup to Ray. I used a 1" thick square of Mic-6 with 6" Bison chuck. I usually drop it in the vise, but it can be bolted directly to the table. I put broken 1/2" end mill with the back end facing up to locate the center of the chuck/wcs.

Downloads
    Uploads

You aren't going to be spinning this chuck at 3000 rpm so pretty much anything will work. I would suggest something with bolt on jaws so you can make soft jaws if you need them. You can get them on eBay from US vendors for under $100... Granted at that price you aren't getting a Pratt-Burnerd or a Bison but it will be perfectly adequate for the job.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    I bought all of mine from cdcotools.com.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the insight
    Bison are $500+

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    You aren't going to be spinning this chuck at 3000 rpm so pretty much anything will work. I would suggest something with bolt on jaws so you can make soft jaws if you need them. You can get them on eBay from US vendors for under $100... Granted at that price you aren't getting a Pratt-Burnerd or a Bison but it will be perfectly adequate for the job.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip on locating center.
    What us mic-6?
    Thanks
    Mic-6 is cast aluminum tooling plate that is guaranteed to be flat within a few thousand depending on thickness. The advantage being bo need machine the surfaces flat on both sides.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool. Where did you buy it?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Mic-6 is cast aluminum tooling plate that is guaranteed to be flat within a few thousand depending on thickness. The advantage being bo need machine the surfaces flat on both sides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast