Problems with FRL on 1100

Thread: Problems with FRL on 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problems with FRL on 1100

I bought a tormach FRL (filter regulator lubricator) with my machine since I have the PDB and ATC.
    I have been using it for almost 4 years and the oil level has never dropped which made me nervous. I called tormach after the first few months to verify I gad it adjusted properly and it seemed like it might be. To get it really going I had to open the top plastic adjustment knobby open to the point air an oil would come out of it.
    At the time the tormach tech recommended I open it up part way and put silicone over it to try and keep the air from coming out.
    I wish now I had requested a new one since it was on warranty still.
    Anyway, multiple times I have checked it by running air through the atc but the oil level doesn't ever change.
    I have been adding drops of oil by hand into the orb and atc hoses to make sure those parts get oil.
    Anyone else out there gave the same problem and how have you handled it?
    I also wonder if the atc/orb don't pull enough air and for long enough to legally get lubricant into the lines.
    I am attaching a photo of my FRL that I took a couple of days ago and the oil level is basically the same when I filled it four years ago.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problems with FRL on 1100-img_8173-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problems with FRL on 1100

I have the same problem here with the oil level not going down, I usually open it way up and cycle it several time to get oil into the PDB.

I think the problem is that the air isnt on long enough to get the oiler to work ??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

My FRL has leaked oil and air out the adjuster since day one. Also no droplets have ever formed in the sight gauge. A couple weeks ago it leaked enough to empty the reservoir. So I emailed support and they are sending a new one. Great support as usual. If it also leaks or I can't tell if oil is getting down the line I may just order a basic lubrictor from Automation Direct. This isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but Tormach's FRL is not ultra cheap and should be very reliable. If it isn't then it's time for a new model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the recommendation,
    I am getting my problematic FRL replaced too. Will have to take Mike's advice on opening it up every once in a shike to get oil flowing

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    My FRL has leaked oil and air out the adjuster since day one. Also no droplets have ever formed in the sight gauge. A couple weeks ago it leaked enough to empty the reservoir. So I emailed support and they are sending a new one. Great support as usual. If it also leaks or I can't tell if oil is getting down the line I may just order a basic lubrictor from Automation Direct. This isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things but Tormach's FRL is not ultra cheap and should be very reliable. If it isn't then it's time for a new model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mike & all,
    I was curious how you cycle your air to get the lubercation flowing. I am on path pilot now. When I was on Mach I use to just keep my atc air blast on. Can't do that in PP though.
    Also, how does the air blast endure oil is getting to the orb cylinder?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have the same problem here with the oil level not going down, I usually open it way up and cycle it several time to get oil into the PDB.

I think the problem is that the air isnt on long enough to get the oiler to work ??

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to put your mind at ease:

The manufacturer of the air cylinder that Tormach has in the PDB is spec'd as not requiring lubrication. It is built for an industrial application, under a usage pattern that far exceeds what it will ever see in the PDB.

So if your FRL hasn't been lubricating your PDB, it probably hasn't actually damaged anything.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Hi Mike & all,
    I was curious how you cycle your air to get the lubercation flowing. I am on path pilot now. When I was on Mach I use to just keep my atc air blast on. Can't do that in PP though.
    Also, how does the air blast endure oil is getting to the orb cylinder?

Thanks
    I just disconnect the line from the solenoid to the air cylinder, cycle it a few times holding the button in, this blows oil into the line then just reconnect is what I am doing.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

That us good to know but I have an atc that does need pneumatic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Just to put your mind at ease:

The manufacturer of the air cylinder that Tormach has in the PDB is spec'd as not requiring lubrication. It is built for an industrial application, under a usage pattern that far exceeds what it will ever see in the PDB.

So if your FRL hasn't been lubricating your PDB, it probably hasn't actually damaged anything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which button are you pushing - the pdb release button?
    Thanks

QUOTE=popspipes;2066676]I just disconnect the line from the solenoid to the air cylinder, cycle it a few times holding the button in, this blows oil into the line then just reconnect is what I am doing.[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Which button are you pushing - the pdb release button?
    Thanks

QUOTE=popspipes;2066676]I just disconnect the line from the solenoid to the air cylinder, cycle it a few times holding the button in, this blows oil into the line then just reconnect is what I am doing.
    [/QUOTE]

yes, the release button

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

yes, the release button[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

yes, the release button[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

That us good to know but I have an atc that does need pneumatic oil.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the pneumatic cylinder in the ATC was also designed not to be lubricated.

I have always wondered; doesn't the airblast for TTS cleaning result in oil being sprayed on the tool shanks, which promotes them slipping?

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

There must be a good reason if tormach sells/recommends an FRL.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pneumatic cylinder in the ATC was also designed not to be lubricated.

I have always wondered; doesn't the airblast for TTS cleaning result in oil being sprayed on the tool shanks, which promotes them slipping?

Downloads
    Uploads

There must be a good reason if tormach sells/recommends an FRL.
    Filtration and water removal?

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Every Tormach technician I have spoken with recommend pneumatic oiling. Can you post where you read the pdb and atc does not require periodic pneumatic oil.
    Thanks

Filtration and water removal?

Downloads
    Uploads

Every Tormach technician I have spoken with recommend pneumatic oiling. Can you post where you read the pdb and atc does not require periodic pneumatic oil.
    I don't know about the ATC, since I don't know the brand/model of the pneumatic cylinder.

But for the PDB (you have to look in the PDF catalog linked from the product page):
    C(D)Q2-Z, Compact Cylinder, Double Acting Single Rod | SMC Corporation of America
    Problems with FRL on 1100-smc_cq2-jpg

SMC does say elsewhere (can't find it right now) that lubrication is not required, but then goes on to recommend oil weight if you do lubricate it (which implies while lubrication won't help, it won't hurt).

Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.

The atc definitely requires pneumatic oil and tormach recommends it for their pdb too.

I don't know about the ATC, since I don't know the brand/model of the pneumatic cylinder.

But for the PDB (you have to look in the PDF catalog linked from the product page):
    C(D)Q2-Z, Compact Cylinder, Double Acting Single Rod | SMC Corporation of America
    Problems with FRL on 1100-smc_cq2-jpg

SMC does say elsewhere (can't find it right now) that lubrication is not required, but then goes on to recommend oil weight if you do lubricate it (which implies while lubrication won't help, it won't hurt).

Downloads
    Uploads

Certainly won't help the tool holder pull out issue. I don't have an ATC but I've found that I must clean my tool holders w/ acetone regularly or I get pullout.