Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other??? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    For milling in the vise,any rough shape will work as long as the part does not move whill machining datums that will be used in subsequent operations. I routinely machine hole/features on all 6 sides flipping the part in the vise many times without issue. I rough cut my stock on a horizontal band saw. I have a 3 jaw chuck mounted to the table for machining round stock. I haven't used a 5c collet, but seems like you could miil whatever geometry you need to hold the part,in the first operation.
    You guys are the pros.
    As I mentioned above if I take a chunk of 1"x 3" x 4" "example" long aluminum rough stock and place any factory extruded edge against the vice face it will not be square to the mill xyz axis on the face or top those surfaces always have a slight curve or twist. If i then drill thru that stock, the hole on the bottom surface is no where even close to where its is designed on model. If I first set the material in a vise against front parallel at bottom and use a thin wood stick at moving jaw to press and hold material without the back jaw trying to square to fixed jaw. Then mill the top surface off. Flip that over keeping the same face against the fixed vise jaw. Then I mill the top again. This provides me with 2 pretty square and parallel faces to clamp in vise jaws directly then I face that giving me 2 very square edges and 3 very flat surfaces.Sometimes I go one more surface or if the material permits i do more faces as its fixed in vise at that point. From there I can clamp in vise knowing reference edges are all square to vise and all the axis of the mill. Then I run that same part and those holes and all the other operations have noticeably better tolerance and the fit and finish goes from sticky bolts and pins when assemble the part with other parts to no sticky bolts and pins they all align perfect and assembly is easy and you end up with a tight part.

Funny I learned this tech from a cnc book In my experience if is skip these steps on some larger complex parts I end up with less then good results. In fact 9 out of 10 end up on the scrap pile not the admiration pile I understand there are ways to avoid this if you cut parts out from the center of large plates then you only have flip the part to the machined top surface against the parallels to establish datum and the sides will always be square because they were milled complete full depth from top. Then I could trust those surfaces to align off for any other mill ops.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    For milling in the vise,any rough shape will work as long as the part does not move whill machining datums that will be used in subsequent operations.
    This is how I do it as well. I order stock in the width and height that will give me enough material to machine, and the only prep it gets is being cut to length. I have never seen extruded lengths be so far out that they won't hold securely in a vise...not saying it can't happen, but I've never had a problem with it. If the stock is secure, I'd rather have the machine make all the cuts instead of me prepping the stock and then trying to pick points off of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mountaindew,
    Whenever possible I use raw stock a little thicker than the finish part (3/16 or so). Use step jaws or parallels to only hold the extra material. Machine top and front, back, left and right to full depth of the finished part. Now it is as square as my machine can make it. Then flip it over and remove extra material and finish the bottom. A thru hole made in OP1 is helpful to locate XY0 in OP2 or use a stop on the vise. The material costs is a little higher as is the part run time, but the time saved by not pre-squaring makes up for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Should have mentioned I use talon jaws to hold stock most of the time. The "talons" dig into the aluminum and only require .06" of stock to clamp securely during heavy roughing of aluminum. They are also great for holding slippery plastics. I've found its way more effective to just use the over size extrusion roughly close to the size of your part and mill the rest away. The cost of aluminum stock is so cheap, it's not worth spending all the time to make it square and close to your part size. Here's one I did yesterday as an example requiring 3 operations.
    I have two vises on the table Vise one has talon jaws for roughing of the first operation. The second vise has a work stop for subsequent operations.

Operation 1 G54
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op1-jpg
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op1-complete-jpg
    Operation2 G55
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op2-jpg
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op2-complete-jpg
    Operation3 G56
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op3-jpg
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-op3-complete-jpg

Complete
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-nzcomplete-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice Austin!
    Thanks for the professional post.
    Did you make that part on an 1100?

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;2067054]Should have mentioned I use talon jaws to hold stock most of the time. The "talons" dig into the aluminum and only require .06" of stock to clamp securely during heavy roughing of aluminum. They are also great for holding slippery plastics. I've found its way more effective to just use the over size extrusion roughly close to the size of your part and mill the rest away. The cost of aluminum stock is so cheap, it's not worth spending all the time to make it square and close to your part size. Here's one I did yesterday as an example requiring 3 operations.
    I have two vises on the table Vise one has talon jaws for roughing of the first operation. The second vise has a work stop for subsequent operations.

Operation 1 G54
    Operation2 G55
    Operation3 G56

Complete
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-nzcomplete-jpg[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Very nice Austin!
    Thanks for the professional post.
    Did you make that part on an 1100?

My pleasure

I have a Novakon Torus Pro, but capabilities are pretty much the same as the 1100.

QUOTE=AUSTINMACHINING;2067054]Should have mentioned I use talon jaws to hold stock most of the time. The "talons" dig into the aluminum and only require .06" of stock to clamp securely during heavy roughing of aluminum. They are also great for holding slippery plastics. I've found its way more effective to just use the over size extrusion roughly close to the size of your part and mill the rest away. The cost of aluminum stock is so cheap, it's not worth spending all the time to make it square and close to your part size. Here's one I did yesterday as an example requiring 3 operations.

Operation 1 G54
    Operation2 G55
    Operation3 G56

Complete
    Tormach 1100 VS Haas OM1 OM2 OM2a CM1 or other???-nzcomplete-jpg
    [/QUOTE]