Need Help! Trying to machine a smooth surface on a curved face

Thread: Trying to machine a smooth surface on a curved face

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Trying to machine a smooth surface on a curved face

Hello
    My machine is a PCNC1100 with current revision of Sprut Cam. I have machined a part that has a curved surface sort of concave. I used a roughing waterline to begin and part looks good. Then to finish I used the finishing waterline on the surface using a ball end mill. The finish is less than desirable too many lines with a rough finish. I decreased my step over to .00025" which created a ton of code but no improvement on the finish, any help would be appreciated.
    Bob

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trying to machine a smooth surface on a curved face

Got a pitcher?

gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I have noticed that if I use some CAD formats like .igs, .dwg or .stp my cam software will output a bunch of lines which will produce a faceted surface like you are writing about.

I would say if you have termination points on the lines that intersect the curve and you know the connecting radius, just redraw the radius, redo your cutter path and repost your program.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meierrh View Post
    Hello
    My machine is a PCNC1100 with current revision of Sprut Cam. I have machined a part that has a curved surface sort of concave. I used a roughing waterline to begin and part looks good. Then to finish I used the finishing waterline on the surface using a ball end mill. The finish is less than desirable too many lines with a rough finish. I decreased my step over to .00025" which created a ton of code but no improvement on the finish, any help would be appreciated.
    Bob
    This post is the equivalent of walking into an auto repair shop, telling the mechanic your car "isn't running right", and, without letting him even so much as see the car, asking him to tell you what's wrong with it. You provide absolutely NO information that would allow anyone to help you beyond telling you "You're doing something wrong". Post the CAD model, and the SprutCAM files, and someone can most likely point out your mistake.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    This post is the equivalent of walking into an auto repair shop, telling the mechanic your car "isn't running right", and, without letting him even so much as see the car, asking him to tell you what's wrong with it. You provide absolutely NO information that would allow anyone to help you beyond telling you "You're doing something wrong". Post the CAD model, and the SprutCAM files, and someone can most likely point out your mistake.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    There are a lot of times that I disagree with Ray and I won't say anything, but this time he's absolutely right.

What you are describing is like calling a paramedic because you can't turn on your TV.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by meierrh View Post
    Hello
    Bob
    Not seeing the part or file, I wonder if its not in the cam software, waterline will finish sides with a relatively steep angle fine, it does poorly on a shallow angle surface as what you are describing, there is an op that finishes both, its a combination of plane and waterline, I suspect this may be the problem you are having.

Without pictures of the part its hard to imagine what the problem is??

I use Sprut 7 so the op I am describing may be called something else in the newer versions.

mike sr