Question on clean shop - dust filter and vacuum

Thread: Question on clean shop - dust filter and vacuum

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question on clean shop - dust filter and vacuum

Okay Zone family - Got a question to ponder with you all. I grew up in a metal fabrication shop where it seemed like (at least by the appearance to this day) my dad's motto is, "if your shop ain't got dust everywhere then ya ain't busy working"! Well, now that I have my own CNC shop, that motto ain't gonna fly. I like a clean shop, I like clean tool boxes, I like clean shelves. Now, I'm not to the clean freak level as some on here but I hate dust with a passion and will do anything I can to avoid creating it. To the point that I'll grab a file sometimes over the sander just because of the dust.

So.... been thinking today. What if I put in a dust filtration system and a better vacuum (remote location in another room) to handle the dust and chips. My shop is small - 20' x 20' with 10' ceilings. Below is what I'm thinking about getting. See the questions with each item and let me know your thoughts.

First item: Dust filtration system - never used one of these but have heard about them for wood working.....

JET Air Filtration System, Model# AFS-1000B | Dust Management| Northern Tool + Equipment

Second item: Dust vacuum - again, see them in use in wood working but have not heard about their use in a CNC shop. I machine 50% aluminum, 40% plastic and 10% metal.

JET Dust Collector

Post away!

Thanks,
    Awall

Similar Threads:
    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question on clean shop - dust filter and vacuum

I have a kds air filter hung above my machine but only use it when cutting wood.
    I have a vac system in my shop but only use a shop vac with a dust devil to clean chips
    I do have lots of air movement that clears the air - (2) 400 com fans behind the 1100 and (1) 800 com behind the lathe. They are mostly to exhaust fumes and bring in fresh air. I always have those on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah well i probably fall pretty far right in the clean shop and no tools laying around category... almost OCD, but refusing to admit it!

I have recently put in a dust deputy (cyclone) with a 20 ltr pail for mainly chips but also sanding dust etc. Mainly do aluminium and a little carbon fiber, but it is the main tool after the brush on the lathe and mill. Have about 7 feet of 2.5" pool hose on it with a narrow vacuum head and just use it as a spepetator for the vacuum and it works great especially now it is permanent setup, so it is always ready to go.

But in my opinion certainly worth a look at the dust deputy range, i am very happy with it.

Cheers,
    .adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by al010964 View Post
    Yeah well i probably fall pretty far right in the clean shop and no tools laying around category... almost OCD, but refusing to admit it!

I have recently put in a dust deputy (cyclone) with a 20 ltr pail for mainly chips but also sanding dust etc. Mainly do aluminium and a little carbon fiber, but it is the main tool after the brush on the lathe and mill. Have about 7 feet of 2.5" pool hose on it with a narrow vacuum head and just use it as a spepetator for the vacuum and it works great especially now it is permanent setup, so it is always ready to go.

But in my opinion certainly worth a look at the dust deputy range, i am very happy with it.

Cheers,
    .adrian
    Take a look at Clear Vue cyclones and the extensive technical details through that site. There is (apparently) a huge difference in wood shop particulate control and metal shop clean-up needs. I would expect that carbon fiber, fiberglass, and the like would require wood shop particulate control for safety.

For metal, I've found that a Dust Deputy equivalents available from China work just fine with a medium shop vac or house vac system. Somewhere in the range of 2-300 cfm. If you can find one, the pails that pool chlorine comes in are great for a receiver- about 8 gallons, screw-on lid heavy enough to machine to match the flange on the cyclone.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to second the Dust Deputy recommendation. I had trouble with the unit tipping so I made a plywood base with castors and a 35-pound barbell weight. Note that when the recommended 5 gal plastic pail is full of aluminum swarf it expands slightly and firmly locks into the bottom pail. That is easily solved by putting a block of wood inside the bottom pail to prevent the inner bucket from firmly seating.

Downloads
    Uploads

My 24x24 garage shop is attached to my house with a 3/4 hour fire door as per code. metal, wood, plastic, nuts , bolts and all other assorted stuff filters into my house. I have to clean all the time " while Im working in shop, like a good cook in the kitchen I clean while I cook" Then I spend less time looking for tools and parts for my projects. I have a 5hp shop vac piped from corner cabinet to a center location overhead and one line along wall. I use it for general cleaning. of the shop and machines. I also have a smaller plastic shop vac that follows me around like a puppy. "Imho a Dust deputy is a novelty and for the cost I would buy another small plastic shop vac at HD". I use a pre screen 5 gal bucket to catch the big stuff and also parts that get sucked up while cleaning with the shop central system. Only thing I have on my list is more ventilation to outside will help with dust problem and an air filter system hanging from ceiling to aid in fine dust control. One of my main reasons for clean shop other then its easy to work in. I do a great deal of work with acrylic. The material is very expensive and is easy to damage with any stray dust or chip. Also to bond the material is like welding the surfaces need to be very clean and when milled to good surface finish bonds to a crystal clear weld not easy to do.

A side note I have a patio out back of garage and when weather is comfortable i setup saw horses and clamp a work bench and do stuff like sanding, grinding and painting outside.
    If I had a surface grinder I would build a lean to porch there and put that tool with a good cover out there. along with a couple other grinders I use what can I say I dislike grinder dust and if i had to machine cast iron " lucky my mill sets with its back against a garage door" I would open garage door and turn high power fans to blow that dust out the garage door and still taste and smell it for 2 months. yuk

I also keep a clean shop because I walk in to use the bathroom, frig..... on my cloths and shoes are metal, wood and plastic chips . They get into carpets rugs wood floors and then in your bare foot later that day. I even go as far as to blow myself off before I walk into house and I still get metal everywhere, Causing more cleaning in the house.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    ..."Imho a Dust deputy is a novelty and for the cost I would buy another small plastic shop vac at HD".
    I recently purchased a Dust Deputy cyclone that I have mounted on a 5 gallon white plastic bucket. It's overpriced for what it is, and it doesn't come with everything you need to attach it to your shop vac, but after using it for a few months I won't vacuum without it. I use it mostly for aluminum chips and the time and hassle it saves by not having to clean the shop vac filter is worth it to me. I can also see at a glance how much room I have left in the bucket, and emptying it is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I also keep a clean shop because I walk in to use the bathroom, frig..... on my cloths and shoes are metal, wood and plastic chips . They get into carpets rugs wood floors and then in your bare foot later that day. I even go as far as to blow myself off before I walk into house and I still get metal everywhere, Causing more cleaning in the house.
    My shop is in the basement, and I have the same issues. No matter how hard I try to keep myself clean, I always find chips and junk upstairs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    I recently purchased a Dust Deputy cyclone that I have mounted on a 5 gallon white plastic bucket. It's overpriced for what it is, and it doesn't come with everything you need to attach it to your shop vac, but after using it for a few months I won't vacuum without it. I use it mostly for aluminum chips and the time and hassle it saves by not having to clean the shop vac filter is worth it to me. I can also see at a glance how much room I have left in the bucket, and emptying it is a breeze.

My shop is in the basement, and I have the same issues. No matter how hard I try to keep myself clean, I always find chips and junk upstairs.
    Man, do I ever sympathize with the chips problem. But. I have convinced my spouse to have some hobbies that absolutely require a machinist around, so I think I'm safe. For now.

I should have mentioned that 2" PVC and the various glue-on fittings for it can be machined to fit the Chinese knock-offs of the Dust Deputy directly. A couple feet of 2" DWV, a few minutes with a boring bar, and you've got all the adapters you can imagine, for cheap. You can then go up to 2 1/2" hose, or down to the 1 1/4" stuff. Some of the hose is spiral-wound and can be made to thread into glued-up connectors (it's sort of a bastard Acme, usually left-hand). I spent a couple days making adapters, couplers, etc, and now it's just a case of grab the right combination to fit the house vac, the shop vac, the cyclone, or whatever. Well worth it, PITA at the time.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the just the basic cyclone unit as well (no fittings) took it to a pool shop they had an assortment of rubber, plastic fittings and hose got the whole lot for less than 60 bucks. They had everything except the fitting to attach my narrow vacuum head that fits in tight places like keyways.... so used gaffa tape for the moment, until i find the right rubber step down.

Took all of five minutes to assemble, the longest task was cutting the hole in the 20ltr drum.

P.s. thanks Strauss for the heads up on the wooden block, haven't emptied it yet (for the first time) but have cut a block for when i do.

Cheers,
    .adrian

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Man, do I ever sympathize with the chips problem. But. I have convinced my spouse to have some hobbies that absolutely require a machinist around, so I think I'm safe. For now.

I should have mentioned that 2" PVC and the various glue-on fittings for it can be machined to fit the Chinese knock-offs of the Dust Deputy directly. A couple feet of 2" DWV, a few minutes with a boring bar, and you've got all the adapters you can imagine, for cheap. You can then go up to 2 1/2" hose, or down to the 1 1/4" stuff. Some of the hose is spiral-wound and can be made to thread into glued-up connectors (it's sort of a bastard Acme, usually left-hand). I spent a couple days making adapters, couplers, etc, and now it's just a case of grab the right combination to fit the house vac, the shop vac, the cyclone, or whatever. Well worth it, PITA at the time.