How long do you leave your machine on? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do you leave your machine on?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How long do you leave your machine on?

In general power cycle "turn off and on" of most electrical devices reduces their overall lifespan. I have a brother that is an EE for intel explained why. Anyway I use to keep my workstation computer on 24/365 for years. These days with cost of electrons about 0.20 cents per 1000 watt- hour, leaving my workstation on cost almost .50$ per day and my Tormach mill just setting not running parts costs about $3.25 per day. Running it costs almost 0.40 cents per hour. that does not sound like much but when you get an extra 36$ on your electric bill every month for that machine alone using it part time. Then you add in lights and all the other tools its easy for my shop to cost 2$ per day in power and if I out there more then part time it hits 100$ per month for power, even more before I installed led lights everywhere. I admit I also use A.C. during summer and that adds another 20-50$ month for power alone and my shop is insulated and has well sealed garage doors.

The point is 100$ for power a month does not sound like much money when you produce product for cash. It is for me at a art/craft level. BTW I get letters every month from power company saying I waste power because I use almost 65% more then my neighbors . I often wonder why when they gouge me 40% more for power then what is available in most areas of the USA.
    As of this year the price of solar is about 20k$ for a system to power my house and shop with no power purchased from grid. Doing that adds $20k value to home but takes over 10 years to get full return on investment money wise at 200$ per month power bill. Then after that you can expect 10 years or 20k$ savings of power. Just like the day you pay off your $35k car. you have that cost to put to other uses like more tools . Then from what I understand they need to be replaced because of inefficient generation and will no longer provide reliably power .
    This is something I am considering I dont like to rent things because when you pay that for years when you stop you dont own anything and the money was more or less wasted. Owning my own power plant for the cost of a well built sbl15 sounds like a good choice when I think of it that way

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How long do you leave your machine on?

Just spoke with tormach tech. They leave their machines on for days without shutting them down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12