New 770 on the way to the UK :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 770 on the way to the UK :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool New 770 on the way to the UK :-)

I just put in my order to Tormach for a 770 + stand and various bits, just my luck I decided to buy at probably the wort exchange rate for 20 years
    but I can't wait any longer :-)

Having ACC Worldwide do the Shipping to the UK as per recommendation I got from here.

Now I have to sort out the Garage to have space to put it in when it arrives.

Don't know yet how long delivery and shipping is going to take but I know its going to seem a long wait.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 770 on the way to the UK :-)

Congratulations brother. I'm jealous.

Justin

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats - you'll be happy, I'm sure. I ordered mine a year ago and imported at the end of August, but there was an enforced delay while I waited for the Rapid Turn to launch and ship. ACC worldwide and their Chicago based partner are great - no probs at all. Customs clearance and delivery this end all went to plan. If you're a sad git like me, get the ship details and track it across the Atlantic on marinetraffic.com!

There were a couple of backordered items - a 5" machinist's vice and 15" touchscreen, and they were sent on by UPS air , "all charges paid" and arrived the day after the mill! Since then, I've needed Tormach's help a couple of times and they've been very professional and helpful.

Welcome to the Club and let me know if you have any related questions. I'm (only) an enthusiast / hobbyist, so don't rely on the 770 for work but each time I use it I'm very pleased with my decision to buy Tormach.

Cheers, Andy
    Oxford, UK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I'm just a hobbyist too, been through a number of small mills / home made cnc conversions etc but watched all the 1100 and then 770
    videos on you tube thinking "if only".

Unfortunately there was no way I could fit an 1100 in the garage but the 770 looks a perfect size :-),
    basically its more or less exactly the largest machine I could fit.

I didn't get a rapidturn or 4th axis, I have a CNC converted Denford Viceroy Lathe, and am planning on making my own 4th axis
    really because I make mostly small parts (model engines) and even the 6 inch 4th axis looked rather big and heavy.

My biggest worry now is how I'm going to get it set up / lifted into place etc

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drazziweht View Post
    Thanks, I'm just a hobbyist too, been through a number of small mills / home made cnc conversions etc but watched all the 1100 and then 770
    videos on you tube thinking "if only".

Unfortunately there was no way I could fit an 1100 in the garage but the 770 looks a perfect size :-),
    basically its more or less exactly the largest machine I could fit.

I didn't get a rapidturn or 4th axis, I have a CNC converted Denford Viceroy Lathe, and am planning on making my own 4th axis
    really because I make mostly small parts (model engines) and even the 6 inch 4th axis looked rather big and heavy.

My biggest worry now is how I'm going to get it set up / lifted into place etc

Chris
    Hi Chris,

Sounds good - I'm sure like me you'll be happy with the 770. I shoe-horned it into an 'alcove' just over 4 feet wide and, with the help of Cliff Hall's videos (Threadexpress on YouTube, 'Keen' here) on his compact enclosure, am pleased with the result. I've used the Rapid Turn a fair bit, but then I only have a 'manual' old Southbend lathe. You're probably right about the 4th axis, which I bought 'in anticipation' of need with the mill, so the shipping charges would be minimised. Like so many others, I haven't used it yet in 10 months of ownership! The Rapid Turn with its 15 degree notches has sufficed for 'index' 4th axis work so far. Perhaps when Fusion 360 has a reliable solution for simultaneous 4th axis milling I'll have a play. Interesting that you're making model engines (or parts); I have a castings and full parts set for a 30cc Stuart Turner 'Lightweight' petrol engine - it's got to be more than 50 years old! I'll have a go at machining it when time and confidence allows, but now I'm slowly progressing through a 3.5" gauge 'Britannia' steam loco which looks about 60% complete (so, 70% to go!).

I bought a 2 tonne chain hoist and made-up a sturdy load spreader bar and chain risers (rather than buying Tormach's). I have no space / headroom for an engine hoist so rigged-up the chain hoist in the pitched-roof space above my workshop, and spread the load across the roof timbers with a steel frame. If you can get to Oxford, you're welcome to borrow any of it if it helps.

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I bought a 2 tonne chain hoist and made-up a sturdy load spreader bar and chain risers (rather than buying Tormach's). I have no space / headroom for an engine hoist so rigged-up the chain hoist in the pitched-roof space above my workshop, and spread the load across the roof timbers with a steel frame. If you can get to Oxford, you're welcome to borrow any of it if it helps.

Cheers, Andy
    I have ordered the Tormach lift bar, plan is to hire a pallet truck + engine hoist, Headroom is probably going to be an issue, my garage has a flat roof and ceiling 2.1 meters so not a lot of height to get the lift gear in and be able to lift the mill onto the stand. I don't think the rafters in my garage would come close to taking the weight!, the drive outside the garage has a slight slope as well so its going to be interesting, esp as I will have to hope for good weather when its delivered as there is definatly no room to unbox it inside the garage :-( I'm fairly sure I will manage it, else I might just have to build a tent on the drive :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have ordered the Tormach lift bar, plan is to hire a pallet truck + engine hoist, Headroom is probably going to be an issue, my garage has a flat roof and ceiling 2.1 meters so not a lot of height to get the lift gear in and be able to lift the mill onto the stand. I don't think the rafters in my garage would come close to taking the weight!, the drive outside the garage has a slight slope as well so its going to be interesting, esp as I will have to hope for good weather when its delivered as there is definatly no room to unbox it inside the garage :-( I'm fairly sure I will manage it, else I might just have to build a tent on the drive :-)
    Yes, I had headroom problems and had to make my lift bar to fit as close to the top of the machine as possible - the size of chain (pitch) becomes an issue. Removing the Z axis motor can get a bit more access if needed. you might consider mounting the mill on the stand outside the garage then shifting inside on pallet truck. At least you have some time to plan things! If your garage is dark, I'd really recommend painting it out white and putting in good lighting while you're waiting for the mill delivery. It helps a lot.

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cost of shipping to the UK

770 + Stand + vice + oil/coolant and quite a bit of TTS tools
    is £833 + USD 80 for insurance.

This is for delivery by Tail lift truck to offload onto my drive on delivery.
    Ship transit time is 12 days, and the ships leave at weekly intervals.
    So about 3 weeks + customs clearance etc, hoping to get it before August :-)

So far ACC Shipping and Tormach have been great, very easy to deal with and all seems to be going smoothly.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know what size of holes are used for the feet on the 770 stand ?
    I want to order some of the leveling castors for my stand which I dont have yet so I will be able to roll it into
    position and am not sure if I should get the M8 or M12 bolt versions.

Thanks

Chris

I just measured mine.
    They are 7/16" good Sir. 11 millimeter across the pond, that is.
    M10 bolt would work swimmingly.

Downloads
    Uploads

For lifting the 770, an engine lift will make the final pick up onto your stand or bench.

I don't know what the UK equivalent of a Harbor Freight store is, but I just plain bought a pallet jack before my 770 arrived. When it first arrives it's bolted to a pallet so It moves the thing around in seconds like it's nothing. You can also (against the recommendations) lever it up onto it with a 2x4 and move it while its on the stand quite easily. If you put some forethought into the feet and clearance under the stand ahead of time and make them an inch or two higher so the jack will always fit under it, it would be even easier. Downright trivial to move the machine around.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton...ack-68760.html

The only scary moments of the setup are the last few inches of lift to get it onto the stand. It's not that it's heavy, but you are on the last hole of a typical engine lift and at maximum height. If you are trying to get the machine too close to a wall, like most 770 owners, you'll discover having to try to get under the stand at some funky angle so the feet can be extended enough to keep it from tipping otherwise the feet hit the wall before you have the machine over the bolt points.. If you have a ton of space to put it in, it'd be a snap.

Buy the lift kit. You NEED the machine to sit level when being lifted. I cannot imagine lifting it into place without it. Scary enough with it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Plan is to get 4 of these KGD-60SBLACK to replace the feet.
    That way I can hopefully push the assembled mill around the workshop if I need to get to the back for anything.
    My workshop is small (single garage) so I need to have the mill back close to a wall but am worried I may need to get to the back
    at some point to sort things, having it on casters looks like it will make setup and ongoing use a bit simpler.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have ordered the lifting Kit and plan on hiring a engine crane to do the putting the machine on the stand bit.
    Biggest issue is that there is not a lot of headroom in my garage so I am worried I might not have enough height to actually lift the mill onto the stand inside the garage.
    Hence the plan of using casters on the stand. It will hopefully let me lift it onto the stand outside the garage and then just wheel it into its final position.
    It should also allow me to slide it out from the wall if I ever need to get behind it for maint or cleaning in the future.

Only a couple of weeks waiting now :-). Fixing the garage floor to fill in the cracks in the concrete and tiling with PVC tiles so its flat/smooth enough to be able to move it around.
    Got to get a 240->110 transformer next and finish installing the air line.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Biggest issue is that there is not a lot of headroom in my garage so I am worried I might not have enough height to actually lift the mill onto the stand inside the garage.
    If all else fails, the 770 is designed to come apart in three pieces. I disassembled mine to bring it downstairs into my basement. It took three of us to get each piece down the stairs, and then again when we reassembled it, but we didn't need a lift or anything like that.

Just a thought.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Plan is to get 4 of these KGD-60SBLACK to replace the feet.
    That way I can hopefully push the assembled mill around the workshop if I need to get to the back for anything.
    My workshop is small (single garage) so I need to have the mill back close to a wall but am worried I may need to get to the back
    at some point to sort things, having it on casters looks like it will make setup and ongoing use a bit simpler.

Chris
    Chris, I've got those 'Footmaster' casters/levelling feet under my chinese (Warco) mill which weighs around 500kg, and can recommend them. When the castors are retracted and machine levelled, it's rock-solid. When you want to move it, wind-up the feet until the castors roll and push it around easily. They're expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

Cheers, Andy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
    Chris, I've got those 'Footmaster' casters/levelling feet under my chinese (Warco) mill which weighs around 500kg, and can recommend them. When the castors are retracted and machine levelled, it's rock-solid. When you want to move it, wind-up the feet until the castors roll and push it around easily. They're expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

Cheers, Andy
    Thanks, makes getting them a bit less of a pig in a poke :-)
    I have now just about completed the upgrade of my garage to fit the new mill, lots of self leveling compunt to smooth the floor
    and interlock PVC tiles so its all nicer to work in and should be a nice base to roll the mill into place.
    Just awaiting the arrival now which should be about the 20th.
    Feels like the countdown to christmas :-)

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What / How are people in the UK using to get the 110 volts ?. I am looking at getting a "site transformer" as they seem to be the best value 240-110 volt transformers but am rather confused by the
    fact that the sizes seem to be peak load with no mention of what continuous load they will take ?
    Is a 3.3Kw unit OK or do you need a 5KW unit ?.

Also are people running the pathpilot controller and monitor on 110 volt as well s the 770 or running these directly from 240 volts ?

Finally do I need to worry about the fact that site transformers are usually center tapped earth, is this likely to cause any problems ?

I'm probably over thinking this and should just grab the first transformer I can find and plug it all in and it will work :-)

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

What / How are people in the UK using to get the 110 volts ?. I am looking at getting a "site transformer" as they seem to be the best value 240-110 volt transformers but am rather confused by the
    fact that the sizes seem to be peak load with no mention of what continuous load they will take ?
    Is a 3.3Kw unit OK or do you need a 5KW unit ?.

Also are people running the pathpilot controller and monitor on 110 volt as well s the 770 or running these directly from 240 volts ?

Finally do I need to worry about the fact that site transformers are usually center tapped earth, is this likely to cause any problems ?

I'm probably over thinking this and should just grab the first transformer I can find and plug it all in and it will work :-)

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I went through exactly the same questions and after advice I got a 3.3kW site transformer from Amazon (search "Faithfull Power Plus TRAN33A 3.3kVA Dual Socket Transformer"). It wasn't the cheapest out there, but seems good quality and does the job fine. I run everything for the mill off it. I used 2 x 'commando' plugs, available from electrical trade counters. One for the main 770 supply and the other goes to a US style extension lead/ training socket with about 6 x US 3-pin (NEMA 5-15R) outlets. You'll need to cut off the US plugs and substitute the 'commando' plugs.

I have the transformer supplied from a standard (30A) ring main for the garage / workshop. As for earthing etc. I have no issues, though occasionally when switching the transformer on the garage breaker pops, probably due to surge current. Luckily my distribution board is close-by and easily accessible so, for those few times, I just reset it and its fine. The transformer sits under the machine and stays quite cool. Hope this helps!

Cheers, Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats neighbor.....Im across the pond in Ireland.

If you dont mind me asking..... path pilot controller.... Why buy if instead of having your own PC ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used the term pathpilot controller loosly!, I am building my own, have just ordered the 525i card + DVD from tormach.
    am going to build a microxtx pc with ssd saves a couple of hundred pounds over getting the tormach controller.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast