Newbie need help drilling a stupid hole... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help drilling a stupid hole...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need help drilling a stupid hole...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Don't EVER buy cutting tools at Home Depot or Lowe's. Spend the time Cora money and buy your tools at a local industrial supplier. You won't regret it.
    Absolutely! For machining buy good machining tools, for general purpose stuff around the shop use hardware store tools. My high quality drills don't get used in a hand drill and the hardware store drills don't get used in the mill or lathe (in a pinch I've done it but the results were usually not good).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have a problem drilling up to 5/8" on my 1100 but I always pilot drill first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    I don't have a problem drilling up to 5/8" on my 1100 but I always pilot drill first.
    That's cheatin'. But that's what we need to do on the low powered machines.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Don't EVER buy cutting tools at Home Depot or Lowe's. Spend the time Cora money and buy your tools at a local industrial supplier. You won't regret it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    Absolutely! For machining buy good machining tools, for general purpose stuff around the shop use hardware store tools. My high quality drills don't get used in a hand drill and the hardware store drills don't get used in the mill or lathe (in a pinch I've done it but the results were usually not good).

I have no problem with Dewalt black oxide drill bits going thu anything you put under them. So far they outperform my YG bits by a long shot! Only problem with Home depot dewalt drill bits is they dont have full sets or range of sizes. Try One and you wont be disappointed. While back with a Dewalt 1/2 b.o. bit I put a 1/2" hole thru 2" thick alum. square at full rapid speed by accident! Would have went into mill table if the holder did not crash on the 2" block. Was amazed a drill could do that. e-stopped the machine, reset, and backed the head and tool out and the hole had a decent finish even That bit is still in the same Tormach half inch chuck and still in use to this day! Also I recently I used a 1/4 b.o. to drill 300 holes in some 3/8" cold roll and it looks like it did when I took it out of index. It replaced a coated YG that I was using before that I couldn't get tight enough in the chuck. The Dewalt bit had indexed flats that held better in the marginal quality TTS chucks. Was surprised at same speeds and feeds it made cool long curl chips that didn't bird-nest, just fell to side like flat springs.

In case people wonder well how many projects call for 1/2" holes anyway! Because of Steve quoted above my large drills are among the most used tools on my Tormach. While back he mentioned he always plunge drilled large areas that I had been milling before. From then on I start most big parts with large arrays of drill holes that take material out at 5x faster speed then any end mill. I now draw circles in my cad models to aid in positioning the holes in cam software, makes it simple and mmr goes up and my mill using high speed tool paths that go round and round go down . Then send the end mill in to clean up and finish the model design.

Last edited by mountaindew; 06-14-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I put a 1/2" hole thru 2" thick alum. square at full rapid speed by accident! Would have went into mill table if the holder did not crash on the 2" block. Was amazed a drill could do that.
    I suppose you don't have a video of that. Would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    ...I start most big parts with large arrays of drill holes that take material out at 5x faster speed then any end mill...
    5X the MMR?!! How fast do you feed the drill? I can pocket in 6061 at around 2 in^3/min with an end mill. For a .5 drill to remove 10 in^3/min it has to feed at 51 in/min!
    I don't doubt the benefits of plunge roughing because of the increased rigidity in the Z direction but 5X seems exaggerated.

Last edited by IMT; 06-15-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I suppose you don't have a video of that. Would like to see it.

5X the MMR?!! How fast do you feed the drill? I can pocket in 6061 at around 2 in^3/min with an end mill. For a .5 drill to remove 10 in^3/min it has to feed at 51 in/min!
    I don't doubt the benefits of plunge roughing because of the increased rigidity in the Z direction but 5X seems exaggerated.
    I was lucky the 2x2 stock was hanging over the vise 2" and the bit went thru and did not hit the vice at that speed otherwise I would have experienced a real tool crash. I admit itt did have a 0.120 hole as deep as that short bit would go. All my drill ops start with that over used drill bit size

Your right on over stating. It just looks faster and sounds more aggressive then an endmill also drill bits are cheaper and easy to sharpen if needed for rough work. I also developed this habit because it saves endmill life! Some of Sprutcam operations look for holes larger then end mill and automatically use that as a plunge point and avoids ramping into pockets. Sprutcam drill ops are among the fastest to setup also. Then you can go back and clean up with more precise tool paths

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a thought, but your chuck is a 3/8 and you are trying to hold a .404 drill. Ive noticed that the jaws on chucks may hold a drill thats larger than capacity, but they dont have much engagement on the shank. Maybe just going up to a 1/2 inch chuck will hold it better as there will be more jaw in contact with the shank.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spumco View Post
    Just a thought, but your chuck is a 3/8 and you are trying to hold a .404 drill. Ive noticed that the jaws on chucks may hold a drill thats larger than capacity, but they dont have much engagement on the shank. Maybe just going up to a 1/2 inch chuck will hold it better as there will be more jaw in contact with the shank.
    Put your 1/2 inch drill in an ER20 collet. I don't even own a drill chuck for my PCNC1100

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12