Need Help! Tormach PCNC770 Running Time

Thread: Tormach PCNC770 Running Time

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach PCNC770 Running Time

For Maintenance purpose, is there easy way to find Tormach 770 Machine Running Time?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach PCNC770 Running Time

I added a pair of elapsed time meters to mine. Something like Simpson Elapsed Time Meter Model 2153 Cat 17720 New | eBay but I paid much less than these. One records time on hours and the other VFD on hours (the same as the automatic lubricator). The meters are mounted to a small bracket on the inside and at the top of the control enclosure on my 770

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SSDI770 View Post
    For Maintenance purpose, is there easy way to find Tormach 770 Machine Running Time?

Thanks
    If it uses the Emerson Commander VFD, there's a parameter that will give you spindle motor time. Probably true of other VFDs, too. There was a thread in this forum that detailed how to find it. In any case, check the manual for your spindle motor VFD.

I like the idea of having both on-time and spindle time better, though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.
    I hoped that PathPilot has this feature already. There were posts about this for Mach3 - but nothing on PP. I guess nothing will bit the hardware

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SSDI770 View Post
    Thanks.
    I hoped that PathPilot has this feature already. There were posts about this for Mach3 - but nothing on PP. I guess nothing will bit the hardware
    The problem with software runtime monitoring is that it may not reflect actual machine time (spindle on, steppers running)- depends on how the code is written. Runtime, for maintenance, should show spindle run hours, and if possible also stepper on-time. When I was running M3, I noticed that it gave me something other than spindle-on time (don't recall what, it may have been machine-power-on time).

Send Tormach a feature request. It ought to be possible to have PP keep counters going that record VFD on time and either total machine on time or stepper on times.

Downloads
    Uploads

Software monitoring has some advantages. My physical timer records VFD powered time (the same as the automatic lubricator) rather than actual spindle turning and steppers stepping time. However, unless you frequently backup your PathPilot data a software approach will lose the usage info if/when the software is reloaded after a failure.

Downloads
    Uploads

While Mach3 contains run-time timers, they are, and have always been, notoriously unreliable, to the point of being completely useless.

You can buy a dedicated hour-meter on E-Bay for as little as $5-10. To me, that is the best way to go.

Regards,
    Ray L.