PCNC 1100 VFD Programming

Thread: PCNC 1100 VFD Programming

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PCNC 1100 VFD Programming

I have mentioned previously that I built a high speed aux spindle using one of the imported water cooled spindles, mine is the 1.5 kw version.

I'm happy with the way it works, but now that I have a RapidTurn, and the associated connector box, it occurs to me that by changing the connector on the aux spindle motor and doing so programming to set the VFD parameters, I could gain full control of the aux spindle thru the 1100.

You can buy the smart sticks used by Tormach to re-program the VFD for RapiTurn and the high speed spindle for about $35.00

I have downloaded the manuals for the VFD and am starting to go thru them now.

So my question is has anyone played with this before? I'd appreciate any advise that's out there prior to playing with the VFD.

Thanks
    Terry

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC 1100 VFD Programming

Thanks for the reply, and thanks again for the PDF.

I got the impression from the Emerson manual that you didn't need anything special to program the sticks, just select PROG somewhere in the logic tree, but that was just a quick skim thru the book, I could certainly be mistaken about it.

But, if the standard VFD is too small for a 1.5kw motor, I will have to re-think the project. I have an external VFD that I have been using, like you are. Don't think I want to go to the trouble of getting a bigger Emerson just for this, if it's even possible to substitute one in a Tormach.

Regards
    Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Verify the model number for the Emerson VFD they are using. I seem to recall that they oversized the VFD on the 1100.

https://www.tormach.com/engineering_vfd.html see the Performance Increases section item 5

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,
    Don't know if it's true for all series II 1100's, but my VFD is an SKBD200150. According to the Emerson sales flyer for "Heavy Duty" operation it's good for 7 amps continuous current and 1.5 Kw, interestingly the flyer doesn't list any numbers for that model under "Normal Duty", but does for other models.

So I guess in theory I could use it for my 1.5 Kw spindle, but I'm not a fan of operating at the upper end of what a supplier says. LoL

I actually found an air cooled 0.8 Kw spindle in my pile o'stuff, so I'm going to do some testing with that, right now I'm waiting delivery of the connector to hook it to the quick disconnect box on the mill.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I didn't see rdsi's post before I replied, just clicked on the email saying there was a post and went directly to rowbsare's.

I bought a blank smartstick from the Millfast folks, was, I think, $36. According to the instruction sheet that came with it, you can progam it by first setting up the specs you want on the VFD manually, then dumping it to the stick by selecting PROG, in the menu tree. Please note I haven't tried this yet, just going by the sheet. I want to check out what rsdi says about the usb. If you could use computer software to set the parameters, then load the stick on the computer, it would be way simpler than clicking thru all the setups on the face of the VFD.
    Terry