I'm looking for a 6 inch Quad 1 vise

Thread: I'm looking for a 6 inch Quad 1 vise

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'm looking for a 6 inch Quad 1 vise

I have a 6 inch Quad 1 vise and I would love to have another one.

The Quad 1 I have was about 2 1/4 inches too long for my 1100, but after a visit to a friend who had a big saw, everything has worked out great since I had my friend cut it off.

I thought I could get away with the Tormach 5 inch CNC vise so I bought 2 of them about a year ago. All was working well with those vises till yesterday when I tried to hold a 4 1/2 inch wide chunk of aluminum.

The vise opening was only 4 1/8 inches with the standard steel jaws that come with the vise.

Fortunately there was a work around. The finish part I wanted was only 4 inches wide so I cut the 4 inch direction first.

Needless to say, I was more than just a little disappointed.

When I called Tormach this morning to talk about, my call was answered by a nice young lady who had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Ok, I've vented, I'm done but I'd still like to have another 6 inch Quad 1 vise.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I'm looking for a 6 inch Quad 1 vise

Can you move the moving jaw to the back of the vise? I often do that on my 5" Tormach vise to machine parts deeper than 5" in Y. It's not an optimum solution if you need to drill or tap holes that are located outside the gap between the fixed jaw and the moving jaw plate unless only a tiny amount of clearance is needed. Soft jaws might be an option, too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Can you move the moving jaw to the back of the vise? I often do that on my 5" Tormach vise to machine parts deeper than 5" in Y. It's not an optimum solution if you need to drill or tap holes that are located outside the gap between the fixed jaw and the moving jaw plate unless only a tiny amount of clearance is needed. Soft jaws might be an option, too.
    That's a great idea, but I also want to drill holes in the part and I don't want to drill holes in the vise.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Make thinner soft jaws, that's what I do sometime, my 6in vice only open to 5 1/2

The jaws are 3/4 in thick so with 1/2 jaws, I can hold 6in part.

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    Make thinner soft jaws, that's what I do sometime, my 6in vice only open to 5 1/2

The jaws are 3/4 in thick so with 1/2 jaws, I can hold 6in part.

Jeff
    A 5 inch vise is 5 inches wide, and it should also open 5 inches with the jaws that come with the vise.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a great idea, but I also want to drill holes in the part and I don't want to drill holes in the vise.
    position precision rod on vise surface to produce clearance for drill extension.

I'm looking for a 6 inch Quad 1 vise-2017-05-31_082749-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

The vise opening was only 4 1/8 inches with the standard steel jaws that come with the vise.
    I have the 5" CNC vise as well, and often run them without the vise jaws because of this. :-(