Did I just get lucky or are there other end mill deals I dont know about?

Thread: Did I just get lucky or are there other end mill deals I dont know about?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Did I just get lucky or are there other end mill deals I dont know about?

So I was looking online for other sources of end mills besides Lakeshore, onlinecarbide, and Maritool. Looked through YG-1s site and found a 1/2" 3fl .060" bull nose end mill that was going to be perfect for what I needed. Searched online and was around $40 some place and $100 other place. Decided to check amazon and it popped up for $12.27 on prime. Double checked the details real quick and it seemed right so I bought immediately. Here's the link..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course there was only one so maybe clearing it out? I was willing to spend the $40 for it but I sure as hell would rather spend $12 instead. Am I just looking in the wrong place for budget carbide endmills for a side business.

I tested it last night and it worked epic for the combination 3D roughing, 2D contours, and 3D tool paths all with no tool change. Just had to adjust to 50% more flutes than my other HSS 2flute. Surface finish was the best I've seen from the machine without question. Haha, I want more for $12!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Did I just get lucky or are there other end mill deals I dont know about?

"currently unavailable". Yeah, you got lucky.

But. Always check. This happens to me a couple times a year- there will be 1-2 of a specialty item available from a regular Amazon seller (ie, everyone) and they just want it gone at the same instant I need one. I routinely compare Amazon, e-Bay, online sellers like Zoro at their own sites, and the big guys like Grainger. It is not unusual to find a distributor selling the exact same item at a lower price on Amazon than on his own website. Sometimes astonishingly so. And sometimes Amazon is just a ripoff- empty quart paint cans for $10, local big box $2.50.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Did I just get lucky or are there other end mill deals I dont know about?

Nice, good to know. I figured I was going to get something chipped or used but for the price it was worth seeing. Now like a crack head after his first hit, I want more..

Downloads
    Uploads

For that price I hope you bought more than one.

I looked at the link and it says currently unavailable.

I've used YG-1 end mills for about the last 5 years and with one exception they are the best aluminum cutting end mills I have found.

When I buy them, I'll buy 6 at a time because my tool supplier is 35 miles away and when you're that far away it takes 2 hours to go get there and back.

I have always said "the best way to insure that you'll break a tool when you're 35 miles away from your tool supplier is to buy just one"..

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish there was more than 1 available but that's probably why it was so cheap then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
    I wish there was more than 1 available but that's probably why it was so cheap then.
    I'll bet it was mismarked and as soon as they discovered their mistake they took it down.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Amazon does this occasionally to clear stock of things that aren't moving. Anything shown as "Fulfilled by Amazon" is stored in one of their warehouses and incurs monthly fees just sitting there, so if they think something is sitting too long, or there are too many of them in stock, they'll blow some or all of them out at a huge discount. On machine-tool type items, it's usually only on things they only have one or two of. They did the same thing to precision micrometer heads a while back (maybe there are some still there.. haven't looked in a while) They had two or three each of several SKUs in stock and sold one for something like $20 and the price on the second popped back up to $150+ as soon as one sold.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll add to the good results with YG-1 endmills for aluminum. I discovered them when I bought one of the 3-flute EMs through Tormach, and immediately bought three more. I was using generic USA-brand carbide or random branded stuff that MSC had on sale, and the YG endmills cut so much smoother it's like a different machine. I don't know if they have a higher rake angle or what, but they are head and shoulders above everything else I've used.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=sansbury;2047876]I'll add to the good results with YG-1 endmills for aluminum. I discovered them when I bought one of the 3-flute EMs through Tormach, and immediately bought three more. I was using generic USA-brand carbide or random branded stuff that MSC had on sale, and the YG endmills cut so much smoother it's like a different machine. I don't know if they have a higher rake angle or what, but they are head and shoulders above everything else I've

The Yg-1s are,just really sharp + the high helix and polished flutes.

I got real lucky a while back. A guy on PM website had a crate of 1/2" 3 flute HSS regrinds from Boeing. $3.00 each if you bought 10. I'm still using the first one for roughing, and it just keeps on going.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got super lucky on amazon! Immediately after I bought all 4 the price jumped ton$30!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    I just got super lucky on amazon! Immediately after I bought all 4 the price jumped ton$30!
    Wow!!! Nice buy.