rapid drilling

Thread: rapid drilling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default rapid drilling

I have a part in production that has many 1/4" thru holes 1" deep in 6061 aluminum flat bar.
    The holes can be rough and low quality.
    I have been using HHS 1/4" stubby drill bits at 2750 rpm @ 15.6 ipm with .25 peck depth and flood (max per Gwiz)

I would like to increase the production rate on my 1100.
    What is the best type of drill bit/technique to accomplish this task?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rapid drilling-clamp-block-jpg  

Default Re: rapid drilling

Unfortunately, TORMACH doesn't offer thru-the-spindle coolant.
    But you should be using flood, or at least a mister for coolant to avoid chip welding.
    Just experiment with a lot higher rpm and feeds.
    Aluminum is a pretty forgiving material, and HSS drills are fine. No need for Carbide with Aluminum.
    I would try 5000 rpm, 40 ipm, and peck at .600 (That would be just one peck to clear the chips)

Downloads
    Uploads

5000 RPM is good, 40 IPM might be a little fast.

I would do

G83G99X?Y?Z-1.2R.1Q.2F25.

Use flood coolant and get some Guhring SERIES 552 parabolic flute stub drills.

I don't use anything BUT Guhring drills. I make one part that requires a .100 diameter hole in 3/16 material 3/32 from one edge 4.5 inches deep. I have drilled thousands of these parts and I have never had a hole break out the side.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    5000 RPM is good, 40 IPM might be a little fast.

I would do

G83G99X?Y?Z-1.2R.1Q.2F25.

Use flood coolant and get some Guhring parabolic flute stub drills.

I don't use anything BUT Guhring drills. I make one part that requires a .100 diameter hole in 3/16 material 3/32 from one edge 4.5 inches deep. I have drilled thousands of these parts and I have never had a hole break out the side.
    +1 for parabolic. If you are doing production on AL parabolic lets the chips out so less pecks and more fastererer. Gwiz tends to be WAY to low of a chip load on AL for drilling. It wants to make bird nests. I take what it says and increase the feed 15-25% from the 'Rough' Setting for drilling. Once that works tap the 10% + on both speed and feed. Run a bar or three. If that works tap it up to 20% on both. Keep them in harmony and push it till something is off then back it back down. I have production parts I run at 200% of what any calculator on earth says is okay. It runs thousands of parts at a time perfectly and saves several WEEKS per year over any feed and speed chart or calculator recommendation. You have to play around and push the envelope for production. Push it till something fails then back it off a hair. Failure might be surface finish, accuracy or broken tool. Tools are cheap compared to time. Changing drill bits and running faster might cost you an extra $20 tool per day but if it makes an extra $300 worth of parts per day... and there are enough parts to fill the days.... it's saving money.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give the parabolic bit a go, hammer down till it smokes, then back off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Guhring SERIES 552 parabolic flute stub drills are awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give the parabolic bit a go, hammer down till it smokes, then back off.
    Video please...you know...in case the magic smoke gets out we can tell you how to put it back in

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post
    A "BIT" is something that goes in a horses mouth.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.