Toasted a Leadshine Driver 3ND883

Thread: Toasted a Leadshine Driver 3ND883

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Toasted a Leadshine Driver 3ND883

Fired the machine up and homed the axis, one made a funny noise and then pathpilot went into error, x-axis wouldn't come off the limit switch when it homed.
    Reset and reset, powered down and tried again, no movement on the x axis removed the cover and moved the axis off the limit manually.
    Same thing, pathpilot thinks it's moving (DRO moves) but nothing is happening (no noises or anything.

Opened the cabinet and there is a red light on the drive. Swapped motor plug over to the y-axis (y axis ply has a big black burn mark on one pin, may have to look at that as well, seems I saw it happened to someone else and they solder different connector on) and moved the table out of the way on the x so the motor is fine.

Guess it's time to order a new drive, tormach looks like the only source without waiting a month.
    Bummer
    M

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Toasted a Leadshine Driver 3ND883

I had a problem with the X axis driver leads, one was toasted, I replaced them with push on connectors on the motor leads to the driver connections. My Y axis was in almost the same shape (lead toasted) so I changed those too, no problems since.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...ml#post2023074

this is the thread and pics of the burned connectors

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes that's the one I thought I saw. I only wish that was what was wrong with this drive. When I read the manual (leadshine) it says the red error light comes one for various conditions, shorted motor, over current motor etc but nothing about an internal error on the drive itself.
    I've sent an email to Tormach for a quote on a new drive, hopefully they have stock
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is your chance to boldly lead the rest of us into the unknown (ie, be a guinea pig):

https://www.teknic.com/products/clea.../clearpath-sd/

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ordered a new drive from Tormach this morning, There goes $350 in what was probably a puff of electric smoke. I wonder if anyone repairs these drives anymore. Probably should have a spare since they are all the same mileage at this point.
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine failed on the Z not too long ago. I believe the issue is the push on connector doesn't make that great of contact. I'd like to find time to change out the connections to something more secure/lower resistance but haven't put enough thought into it yet.

I did sort of tweak each pin a bit so that the plug is in more of a bind/forced contact scenario when pushed into place.

Good luck.

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Ordered a new drive from Tormach this morning, There goes $350 in what was probably a puff of electric smoke. I wonder if anyone repairs these drives anymore. Probably should have a spare since they are all the same mileage at this point.
    M
    The problem I had was the X axis suddenly was intermittent, in checking I found the burned connector pin, my driver was still functional so I repaired the connector as documented in the other post, I also did the same on the Y drive as one of the connectors on it was blackened but not as bad. My Z axis driver is starting to discolor as well but I havent repaired it yet.

My opinion is the connector isnt up to the job! My machine is a series3 serial 2119, new in Feb 2012

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    My opinion is the connector isnt up to the job! My machine is a series3 serial 2119, new in Feb 2012
    I completely agree...so...what connector is and what's the fix? Maybe pull the drives and solder something more substantial directly to the board? Wait...now my brain is going off on a tangent...and can't, really. No really - I need to focus or I'll burn dinner!

WW

Downloads
    Uploads

Weird part is my Y axis has a blackened pin on the connector and it's ok, the x-axis that failed looks good on the connector.

mike sr (popspipes) solution is a good one, I'm thinking of doing it or something like it while I have everything out, maybe move the control panel as well. Or the drive shows up and I'll be in such a pinch I gotta cut chips right away
    M

Downloads
    Uploads

Those drive connectors are known as 'Phoenix' connectors in the industry, being the originals were manufactured by Phoenix. In my prior life as a design engineer I spent a couple months evaluating 'Phoenix' style connectors as the purchasing department wanted to save a few cents. Believe me, the company wasted more $'s on testing than they would ever save! There are some knock off connectors which are fine but its sort of a crap shoot. Parts vary greatly from lot to lot even from the same mfg. What I found was that many of the knock off parts were made on old worn tooling, or tooling which was not all that great to begin with. Some connectors also had plating issues but that appeared to be less of an issue than the quality of tooling on which the mechanical parts were made. In a nut shell, the poor tooling produced parts which when torqued in use would deform and create bad electrical connections. In use the connections would develop high resistance, which yields voltage drop, yield heat and the cycle continues until the part destroys itself. Connectors are one of the highest areas of issues in electronic systems and one of the most ignored during design and mfg.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Those drive connectors are known as 'Phoenix' connectors in the industry, being the originals were manufactured by Phoenix. In my prior life as a design engineer I spent a couple months evaluating 'Phoenix' style connectors
    Were the genuine Phoenix connectors any more reliable than the knock-offs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Were the genuine Phoenix connectors any more reliable than the knock-offs?
    Yes......

I found a couple manufactures that would work with you to produce quality parts (at least for the check lots, however a couple companies even failed at that) but the lingering thought of them sending us junk once, when will be the next time ( The end product is installed worldwide in remote locations). If one had very good incoming inspection you could screen parts but then you may as well pay for known good parts. The parts had all of the certification stamps, paperwork etc. so all of that was meaningless as a screening tool. It's a very frustrating position to be in as a manufacturer. You need to produce a quality product but the bean counters and customers wanting everything for nothing are very powerful outside forces. It is truly amazing that things work as good as they do these days.

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    Yes......

Robert
    Thanks Robert - Phoenix is the way to go then for that sort of connector.

Downloads
    Uploads

New drive arrived today, installed (still not sure how I managed to get that tucked up into the corner like that) and axis movement re-achieved.
    Now, since all of the other drives are the same age.......
    M