Yet Another RT Accuracy Concern

Thread: Yet Another RT Accuracy Concern

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yet Another RT Accuracy Concern

While my test indicator was indicating on a 3/8" dowel pin, I accidentally fount that a moderate pressure on the tool holder would indicate 2 thou of movement. All the more reason to have the tool addressing the workpiece horizontally. I'm fairly confident that my Aloris tool holder is sufficiently rigid, so I suspect Tormach's adapter for the QR tool holder is flexing.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet Another RT Accuracy Concern

Keen,

I'll look further into it, today hopefully, else tomorrow. (Wife is home today and complains if I spend too much time n the shop. I try and tell her that one can't spend too much time in the shop.) My QC tool post is an Aloris AXA and should be sufficiently rigid. The tool holders are Chinese, probably made from recycled beer cans. The the tools are 1/2".

One serious concern is that the Tormach QC adapter places the Aloris a fair distance from the centerline of the spindle. This plus the additional distance created by the Aloris and the tool holders and the result is a lever working against rigidity. However, I suspect the main culprit is the Tormach QC adapter itself. Further testing should identify the problem.

I'm thinking I'll have to make something similar to the gang setup you have. That appears to be adequately rigid.

Looks like for now I won't be doing anything for NASA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Yet Another RT Accuracy Concern

Keen,

It appears that the flexibility problem is in my Tormach itself. I found that a moderate downward pressure on the table will result in 1/4 to 1/2 thou deflection of the test indicator. This is exasperated by my tool addressing the workpiece vertically plus the fact that the tip of my cutting tool is 6 1/2 inches from the spindle's centerline. Time permitting, within the next few days I'll come up with a means for mounting the cutting tool in the horizontal plane which should help. BTW, as a comparison, I tried heavy pressure on the table of my Lagun, (a knee mill somewhat heavier than a BP), and found no significant deflection on my test indicator.

(A few hours later)

I reran the test piece. The 0.750" dia was 0.001" u/s and the 0.500" dia was 0.0006 u/s. The length was dead nuts.

Last edited by jttoner; 05-10-2017 at 02:45 AM.