Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe

Thread: Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe

Default Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe

In January I purchased a new Tormach, now a few weeks ago I installed the full enclosure kit and started to play with it, but since I installed the enclosure it's much harder to plug in and out the ETS / digitizing probe, and as I only do one part of each drawing, I use the probe everytime I make a new part, I have to plug it in and go on the side of the mill and pull up the window to be able to plug the probe in. I was thinking to make a holder or some kind of a case for the probe, to always have it somewhere on the front door, above all the buttons and switches I had to remove.

Do you guys keep your digitizing probe inside the original case, also the ETS, you keep them in their original boxes and remove them when needed?

In my opinion is not practical to remove the probe from the original box, plug the cable inside it and screw it .. than insert the probe in the spindle and than go to the side of hte millt to plug the cable in, not too handy.

Any ideea if it's not recommended to always keep the probe inside the full enclosure, any possible problem about rust ? At the high price it has, I expect the probe to be rust proof. If I could keep it on the top of the controller door, it will not be splashed with coolant, and will be quite handy as I can reach it very easily and I won't need to plug the wires each time I use it.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing prob

I think this would allow you to relocate it with better access. You would need to contact Dan about getting a longer connection cord which I'm sure they could do for you.

ETS / Passive Probe Adapter

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing prob

Is your machine an 1100 or 770? If it's an 1100, Tormach must have moved the connector. On my series II machine the connector is on the control panel, which would be inside the enclosure.

A few years ago I made a small bracket and attached it to the cabinet door with the control panel. I pretty much leave my probe sitting in the bracket and plugged in all the time. I have not seen any corrosion on it from coolant, but I usually use flood coolant at fairly low pressures with the stock pump.

Terry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-probe-jpg  

It's an 1100 Series 3, I had to relocate the connector on the right side of the electronics cabinet, and at that position it's impossible to plug it in from the front door, I need to always go on the right side of the enclosure and pull up the window to connect it.

Terry, I was thinking to do something like you did, but on the top side of the door to avoid as much coolant as possible, probably they suggested to remove the entire buttons/switches plate because the buttons and connectors ware not waterproof .

Did you had any problem in time, if you keep the probe always in the enclosure ? and not in it's case

That Millfast product looks good, I would mount that on the top side of the door and also the probe .. very nice ideea with the braket.. that's something I would doo soon Thank you for the idea !

smokediver576, Dan is someone at Tormach ? a little longer cable will be better, but the original one is also ok, not too tight when plugged in on the right side of the cabinet, but also not loos at all, just a little tighten

Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-tormach-series-3-enclosure-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, I get it now, moving the control panel outside the wet zone has to be a good idea, but so far I haven't had any problems with coolant. Knock on Wood!

Locating the bracket higher up would certainly aid in keeping the probe dry. I put mine on the door for two reasons, first and most importantly, that is where the connector was, so opening/closing the door would not put strain on it. Second, it was just easy to drill the mounting holes into the door, rather than another location.

Are you referring to the Millfast TTS tool holder? It looks like it would fit on the door pretty well.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ovisopa View Post
    It's an 1100 Series 3, I had to relocate the connector on the right side of the electronics cabinet, and at that position it's impossible to plug it in from the front door, I need to always go on the right side of the enclosure and pull up the window to connect it.

Terry, I was thinking to do something like you did, but on the top side of the door to avoid as much coolant as possible, probably they suggested to remove the entire buttons/switches plate because the buttons and connectors ware not waterproof .

Did you had any problem in time, if you keep the probe always in the enclosure ? and not in it's case

That Millfast product looks good, I would mount that on the top side of the door and also the probe .. very nice ideea with the braket.. that's something I would doo soon Thank you for the idea !

smokediver576, Dan is someone at Tormach ? a little longer cable will be better, but the original one is also ok, not too tight when plugged in on the right side of the cabinet, but also not loos at all, just a little tighten

Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-tormach-series-3-enclosure-jpg
    Dan is the owner of MillFast Products. I think you would still need a longer cable to get it up and away from everything. I was thinking you'd mount the connection box outside of the enclosure.

Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to store my homemade ETS (Passive probe in a base with a aluminum block in place of the stylus) in the space below the electronics cabinet. The hole on the right end, just below the relocated connector, is large enough to get it in and out. Stays clean. I don't have a full enclosure, just curtains on a PVC frame.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't use the ETS on my machine. I have used a Haimer since I got my machine in 2011. I had the Haimer long before I got my Tormach.

I have never used the tool table on my machine, but I can set X and Y axis and 10 tools I'm 5 minutes or less.

I haven't made the switch to Path Pilot yet. My Mach III is still working perfectly so if ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I have never used the tool table on my machine, but I can set X and Y axis and 10 tools I'm 5 minutes or less.
    So where exactly in Mach3 do you set the tool lengths?
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Ah, I get it now, moving the control panel outside the wet zone has to be a good idea, but so far I haven't had any problems with coolant. Knock on Wood!
    Moving the control panel outside, it's actually discarding all the switches, except the start and the E-STOP button, all the start / stop action can only be made from the PC / Pathpilot, I don't have any other option to start manually the coolant, the spindle, etc.. the switches waren't moved, but discarded. I also feel bad about removing the switches as I like having an option to start the spindle, set the RPM from a switch, not from PathPilot, but I'm also aware that anyway the switches will be used very very rarely, so I'm ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Are you referring to the Millfast TTS tool holder? It looks like it would fit on the door pretty well.
    I don't like the bent table tool holder, I want to make a more solid aluminum holder like the one in the photo you attached.

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Dan is the owner of MillFast Products. I think you would still need a longer cable to get it up and away from everything. I was thinking you'd mount the connection box outside of the enclosure.
    Thanks, I will check out his website again to look for the longer cable, but the original cable seems ok too me, in the attached photo you can see the cable without spreading the cable, it reaches the right corner of the cabinet, I have to spread it just 10 - 15cm to rech the connector

Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-digitizing_probe_spiralled_cable-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IMT View Post
    I used to store my homemade ETS (Passive probe in a base with a aluminum block in place of the stylus) in the space below the electronics cabinet. The hole on the right end, just below the relocated connector, is large enough to get it in and out. Stays clean. I don't have a full enclosure, just curtains on a PVC frame.
    I wanted to have it as up as possible as in the lower part of the enclosure I had spills of coolant all over, with just one coolant nozzle, but I want to mount 2 at least. I milled until now only 2 parts on the tormach! but I found out that with one coolant nozzle there is a risk of not be able to point the coolant jet in the cut, I had a cut 15mm deep around the stock, when the coolant nozzle was pointing from the right side to the left side, and the mill was cutting in the left side, the coolant jet was hitting the part, not the endmill .. but I think I will open a new thread to only talk about coolant options and ideas, as I just found another possible issue if I want to run a part fully automatically (ATC chanign the tools from the forst operation to the last)

Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-img_2809-jpg

I built a holder on the side of my mill and hung my probe there. Unfortunately that doesn't address your reach issue, I would recommend relocating your control panel outside of the mill and hanging it there. It will solve your reach issue and if there is any heavy flood coolant you're control panel will be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
    Full enclosure kit installed, now it's much harder to plug in the digitizing probe-img_2809-jpg

I built a holder on the side of my mill and hung my probe there. Unfortunately that doesn't address your reach issue, I would recommend relocating your control panel outside of the mill and hanging it there. It will solve your reach issue and if there is any heavy flood coolant you're control panel will be safe.
    Thanks for the photo, any more photos from other users can only help to give me more ideas. Anyway I will definitely build a holder, but instead of placing it on the side I was thinking to place it on the top part of the door, this way I can reach it easier, the cable will be permanently mounted in the connector on the right side of the cabinet. If I will start using the ETS also I will try to buy a MillFast 2-way connector to have them both plugged in (are there any electronics inside that mount, or just 2 resistors and the leds, I think the DIN connector uses one pin for DIGITIZING PROBE and another pin for ETS, so it shouldn't be to hard to make a case with 2 DIN connectors - if it's how I think: one pin for 5v, one ground, one for digitizing probe and one for the ETS .. I will search online, but for now I only use the digitizing probe, I'm ok with just one DIN connector).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    So where exactly in Mach3 do you set the tool lengths?
    Step
    I set my tool lengths in the offset page. It's really easy to do. I can set 10 tools in less than 5 minutes.

If you PM your phone number to me I'll give you a call and walk you through it.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I set my tool lengths in the offset page. It's really easy to do. I can set 10 tools in less than 5 minutes.

If you PM your phone number to me I'll give you a call and walk you through it.
    Thanks for the generous offer to call me in Switzerland but fortunately that won't be necessary. I've been using PathPilot for the last 2 years (how time flies!) and I'm very happy with it. I'm just curious, I no longer have a running Mach3 installation but I've reviewed the YouTube videos from Greg and I can't imagine how you could set up Mach3 to work with different tool lengths WITHOUT using the tool table either directly or indirectly - unless you use work offsets?
    Perhaps you could enlighten us?
    Step