Need Help! Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit

Thread: Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit

I have an issue with the installation of the motor connection kit and have attached a copy of the e-mail I sent to Tormach. I expect to hear from them but this being the weekend that probably won't be until next week. I wanted to get this done this weekend so I decided to post here as well and see if anyone else has had this issue and how it was resolved before I take the time to fabricate a special bracket.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it resolved?

The model 770 PCNC I have is configured slightly different than that shown in your installation instructions for the “Motor Junction Box”. I understand the principal of what the junction box is supposed to do but I have questions as to the fit in my version of the mill.

1. Step 5 calls for the removal of the spindle mounting bolts and the rotation of the spindle to gain access to the junction box. As you can see in the photo below there are no accessible mounting bolts and the need to rotate the spindle is unnecessary since the junction box is readily accessible.

Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit-photo-1-jpg

2. My main issue is with the new mounting plate for the junction box. As you can see in the lower left picture my mill has the power cable already connected to the existing switch plate bracket and the kit supplied mounting bracket having only one hole will not accommodate both the existing and new cable strain relief. Your installation of the new bracket is shown in the lower right picture and cannot be done with my mill configuration. What’s needed is a bracket with two holes to accommodate both cables. I could remove the existing strain relief but that would leave a “messy” transition between the existing flex cable and the wires to the junction box. A new bracket is a much better solution.

Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit-20170429_084911-jpgProblem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit-untitled-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit

It doesn't directly address your question but I decided to install a switchable arrangement on my 770 so that no cable movement is required to run the RapidTurn or the normal mill spindle. I didn't use the bracket or box from the Tormach "quick connect" kit but only used the connector. The switch is a Kraus & Naimer 3PDT rotary switch (from eBay although there are cheap clones on eBay and Amazon) in a PVC box (Home Depot). The bracket is a piece of aluminum 2x4 angle stock. The cables go into the PVC box through watertight connectors

Works great!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with Quick Change Motor Connection Kit-_dsc9093-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a slick solution. I hadn't considered a switch but I'll see if that might work.

In my dreams I'm hoping that Tormach will say, "We have the right bracket and we'll send it immediately." Most likely I'll be fabricating one of my own and just might go the switch route.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Making a custom bracket is probably less stress and far less delay than emailing Tormach and waiting until they provide a special part or tell you that that is the way it was designed. Not wishing to be rude but we bought these machines to make stuff! I delight in being able to have things work the way that I want rather than how someone else thinks is best.

Downloads
    Uploads

I expect to have to fabricate my own bracket but my reason for letting Tormach know is more to do with the fact that I used to be in the business of writing technical documentation. Hopefully by letting them know the problem they will correct it and make it a little less irritating to future customers.

Unfortunately the e-bay source for that switch is out of stock so for the short term it will be with my own bracket and the manual cable change but thanks for the input.

Downloads
    Uploads

See https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Mounti.../dp/B00NWGLYCM for a Chinese clone of a real Kraus & Naimer switch. I have no idea of the quality!

Downloads
    Uploads

For $11 I'll see what it's like. Although I have no way to determine the electrical characteristics so I'll judge by fit and feel. I have a small metal enclosure that will work so if there's a fire at least it'll be contained.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update.

Tormach responded yesterday and apologized for the instructions; they are for the 1100. They provided a draft copy of the 770 and it looks like the kit will work with the 770 if followed. I still think I'm going with a switch but I did appreciate Tormach's quick response.

Downloads
    Uploads

I neglected to mention in my original post that operating the switch with the VFD powered can zap things.

ALWAYS REMOVE POWER FROM THE VFD BY OPENING THE SPINDLE DOOR AND WAITING A FEW SECONDS PRIOR TO SWITCHING!