Clearpath Servos for Tormach? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clearpath Servos for Tormach?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Clearpath Servos for Tormach?

I have clear path servos on some self built machines with very great performance. Very smooth, high accelerations, great for 3d tool paths. I find the ability to fault very useful. I have stepper machines crash and just keep going wrecking havoc on my machine while I was out of the shop. The clear path servos fault very quickly in a crash and the servos can sent a stop signal to your controller to tell all other axis to also stop moving. I probably wont build another machine with steppers again but with that said, I would not invest in them for a Tormach because the added benefits are not worth the cost for me. I use my Tormach for prototype low tolerance parts and squeezing every last second out of the cycle time is not important at all. I have a Haas VMC for that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In many parts of the country you can find a used Fadal VMC 15 or similar for the price of a Tormach. You'll get servos, a 10k spindle, and an ATC, and they can run on 220/1PH power. There are also deals out there on Mini Mills but I think parts for Fadals tend to be a bit cheaper.

The reason I bought an 1100 was I wanted a turnkey machine with affordable support, and I didn't need a lot of speed, power, etc. the clearpath servos look nice but I had built 4 machines already and didn't want another project.

Now, I do kind of see a use case for tool break detection. Thing is, many of the times I've broken tools, the axes never slowed down. Sometimes the spindle bogs and you snap a tool that way, while smaller tools just break without the spindle audibly changing. At a minimum, a spindle encoder may get catch some of these, while for others you'd need reall tool break detection sensing. I've also thought about using a sensor to monitor vibration to see if you could detect chatter, which could also trigger a fault under the right conditions, but all of these are secondary to the projects I bought the machine for and which it does well enough 🤓

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have actually changed the Rapid Feed Rate speed on my Tormach to 150inch per min on X/Y and 120 on Z.
    It's so much nicer to use and it even sounds nicer when it Rapid moves.
    There is a lot of development going into 3D printing to make the stepper motors silent. this is all done by the stepper drivers and there is a lot more smart control going into them. Changing step count to a higher number helps reduce noise but can also reduce torque.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123